Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by rooster »

Lar wrote:Rooster - Zebo finished his tweet with something like "Django will win in the end". That is a clear reference to skin colour to my mind. I have not read Racing's statement but I would say it was very fair of them not to characterise all Ulster fans as having participated in unacceptable abusive behaviour.
Django is his nickname, he started it himself, there are references to it on tweets before and tweets from players too him, I have heard and read it before.
He is a decent lad and a bit of a joker himself and the person who shouted at him needs a good kick up the arse and a ban, but seriously guys it was no where near the level of half the chat about it and I hope for the sake of everyone it is sorted out sooner rather than later.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
Lar wrote:Rooster - Zebo finished his tweet with something like "Django will win in the end". That is a clear reference to skin colour to my mind. I have not read Racing's statement but I would say it was very fair of them not to characterise all Ulster fans as having participated in unacceptable abusive behaviour.
You've separated what he said in his text.
I hadn't thought of it like that but was Zebo referring to himself (in a presumably ironic way) when he texted that ie he was going to win.
Who knows and I suppose as he hasn't clarified it or being asked (publically) to so we'll never know.
I think perhaps you are reading far too much into it to be honest.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

rooster wrote:Django is his nickname, he started it himself
Never heard that before rooster.

Media reports (which I accept are regularly ill informed) this week have all referred to it as being a reference to the Tarantino movie.
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote: He is a decent lad and a bit of a joker himself and the person who shouted at him needs a good kick up the arse and a ban, but seriously guys it was no where near the level of half the chat about it and I hope for the sake of everyone it is sorted out sooner rather than later.
I think most of the chat on here hasn't actually been about the abuse itself, that's sort of been the point of it all, people haven't actually focused on the abuse, they've focused on it first being put up on Instagram, on Zebo's right to be offended, on Zebo looking for attention, on saying it probably didn't happen, on casting doubt because previous allegations proved false.

So for example, had you not written "a bit of a joker himself" and "but seriously guys it was no where near the level of half the chat about it" then I wouldn't have bothered replying to this. But you did, and I find it quite incredible that you would play down racist comments like that after Zebo and his club were offended by them. I mean, what does Zebo being a joker have to do with him being racially abused? Seriously?

So if people stop saying things like that then the chat will die down, but continue to miss the point about why people are annoyed and it won't, which will be a sh!t outcome anyway because the actual issue was barely touched on and never will be.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

If only Zebo actually had said what it was rather than than.making vague insinuations on social media. I wonder has an actual complaint been received by the ECPR or UR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fair point, the main issue is that Zebo wasn't a good enough victim. Jesus wept.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

And before anyone calls me up on previously saying that he should clarify what he meant, that was because we couldn't have been 100% sure he was referring to racist abuse, but the Racing statement obviously clarified that so the previous speculation ended up being correct.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair point, the main issue is that Zebo wasn't a good enough victim. Jesus wept.
Jez you're precious.

Social Media is a.place for half wits, trolls and witch hunts.

A racist comment was made by a scumbag, can we get the culprit banned from Ravenhill rather than slandering UR and their supporters on the internet. Can we get a proper investigation, if Zebo heard it then so did tens of others on the Terrace. What was said exactly? Why has an official complaint been received or investigation been initiated? Is Simon willing to elaborate on what happened?

STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Last comment on this and I will make it simple as possible using the facts I know to be true.
1 individual shouted a remark at Zebo.
Zebo replies via Twitter that he hoped his ears deceived him.
Bottom of his reply Django wins in the end
Zebo has a nickname the players use of Django, check it out Madigan even used it in a tweet a few years ago.
Django was actually started by himself.
Comment shouted did not refer to skin colour.
Simon is a bit of a joker.
Simon is a decent lad as are his family.
Racist abuse is wrong in all circumstances.

Social media especially Twitter and Facebook can blow all things out of proportion and the facts get blurred by hearsay and supposition which then seemingly turns into fact.

I hope culprit is caught and suitably disciplined plus gives an apology to Simon.

There are a few big matches this weekend and good luck to all Irish sides in them and hope for 4 more wins with no bad injuries for anyone involved.
So let's get back to talking rugby and less of the general gossip.

By the way Leinster don't have spare 10 lying around we could borrow for a week or two ?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

rooster wrote:Last comment on this and I will make it simple as possible using the facts I know to be true.
1 individual shouted a remark at Zebo.
Zebo replies via Twitter that he hoped his ears deceived him.
Bottom of his reply Django wins in the end
Zebo has a nickname the players use of Django, check it out Madigan even used it in a tweet a few years ago.
Django was actually started by himself.
Comment shouted did not refer to skin colour.
Simon is a bit of a joker.
Simon is a decent lad as are his family.
Racist abuse is wrong in all circumstances.

Social media especially Twitter and Facebook can blow all things out of proportion and the facts get blurred by hearsay and supposition which then seemingly turns into fact.

I hope culprit is caught and suitably disciplined plus gives an apology to Simon.

There are a few big matches this weekend and good luck to all Irish sides in them and hope for 4 more wins with no bad injuries for anyone involved.
So let's get back to talking rugby and less of the general gossip.

By the way Leinster don't have spare 10 lying around we could borrow for a week or two ?
Sorry, we sent them all down to Mordor
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Jackie Brown wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair point, the main issue is that Zebo wasn't a good enough victim. Jesus wept.
Jez you're precious.

Social Media is a.place for half wits, trolls and witch hunts.

A racist comment was made by a scumbag, can we get the culprit banned from Ravenhill rather than slandering UR and their supporters on the internet. Can we get a proper investigation, if Zebo heard it then so did tens of others on the Terrace. What was said exactly? Why has an official complaint been received or investigation been initiated? Is Simon willing to elaborate on what happened?

The irony of you posting this on a Social Media platform on which you regularly troll
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
rooster wrote: He is a decent lad and a bit of a joker himself and the person who shouted at him needs a good kick up the arse and a ban, but seriously guys it was no where near the level of half the chat about it and I hope for the sake of everyone it is sorted out sooner rather than later.
I think most of the chat on here hasn't actually been about the abuse itself, that's sort of been the point of it all, people haven't actually focused on the abuse, they've focused on it first being put up on Instagram, on Zebo's right to be offended, on Zebo looking for attention, on saying it probably didn't happen, on casting doubt because previous allegations proved false.

So for example, had you not written "a bit of a joker himself" and "but seriously guys it was no where near the level of half the chat about it" then I wouldn't have bothered replying to this. But you did, and I find it quite incredible that you would play down racist comments like that after Zebo and his club were offended by them. I mean, what does Zebo being a joker have to do with him being racially abused? Seriously?

So if people stop saying things like that then the chat will die down, but continue to miss the point about why people are annoyed and it won't, which will be a sh!t outcome anyway because the actual issue was barely touched on and never will be.
So until we start to think the way you want us to think we're wrong.
Get over yourself.
What I learned from this little episode.
1. I now know that the film Django etc was about black slavery.
2. Zebo's self proclaimed nickname is Django.
3. Social media is an abusive media.
4. I haven't lost my moral compass, ie make haste slowly and don't jump to conclusive assumptions.
5. I'm still not sure if Zebo was a target for racism. The word "if" was used a lot.
6. Craig Doyle, despite reports to the contrary, didn't hear what was said.
7. I and probably we still don't know what was said and UNTIL we do, we shouldn't be going off the deep end.
8. UNTIL the next because there will be a next time.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote: Simon is a bit of a joker.
................FFS
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote: So until we start to think the way you want us to think we're wrong.
I can't remember what you were saying, but if anyone's first reaction was to question Zebo in some way then yes, I do think they're wrong, and anyone playing it down after Racing's statement is also wrong, and the below comment backs all that up because you're doubting him.
5. I'm still not sure if Zebo was a target for racism. The word "if" was used a lot.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Oldschool wrote: So until we start to think the way you want us to think we're wrong.
I can't remember what you were saying, but if anyone's first reaction was to question Zebo in some way then yes, I do think they're wrong, and anyone playing it down after Racing's statement is also wrong, and the below comment backs all that up because you're doubting him.
Question everything is my number one rule.
The alternative is to assume and you know what that does.
If or If not.
To put this to bed, when you find out exactly what was said to Zebo let us all know and then each individual can make up their own minds based on facts.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jesus. This thread really goes from bad to worse.

I think it's as simple as this. If you think let's wait until we get all the facts, but understanding that this is a very serious complaint and the onus is on Ulster Rugby and other to investigate it, then fine.

However, if you're condemning Zebo for talking about it on Twitter or bringing irrelevant stuff like 'he's a joker' into the argument to try discredit him or you're complaining about the 'level of chat' about it (whatever tf that means), then you're not some righteous critical thinker who is being told how to think. You're just a bit of a dick.

Just so we're clear. Zebo's 'history' or that he 'posted it on Instagram' is largely irrelevant.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Just so we're clear. ...that he 'posted it on Instagram' is largely irrelevant.
I don't think it is, I think its really important. Regulation 20 includes "acts or statements that are, or conduct that is, discriminatory by reason of religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, colour or national or ethnic origin". These are acts that are also, in these jurisdictions, criminal offences quite rightly, and those found guilty of them should be banned from the sport and removed from society. But if no proper complaint is made, then its just shouting 'fire' in a theatre and the authorities are hindered in their attempts to stamp this kind of behaviour out.

Indeed even when these things are properly reported, investigated, and resolved to the satisfaction of the clubs and authorities involved (and this has happened to Leinster, Munster, and Ulster in the past) the stink sticks, even if the accusation is found to be other than originally thought. But there is no way to remove or lessen the stigma if the accused party isn't given the opportunity to defend themselves. And if the accusation is accurate, and no process is followed, then the loathsome individual is free to do the same again.

As it happens, there was a disciplinary hearing this week about verbal racial abuse in a European Shield game, and the ban was pretty derisory.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Jesus. This thread really goes from bad to worse.

I think it's as simple as this. If you think let's wait until we get all the facts, but understanding that this is a very serious complaint and the onus is on Ulster Rugby and other to investigate it, then fine.

However, if you're condemning Zebo for talking about it on Twitter or bringing irrelevant stuff like 'he's a joker' into the argument to try discredit him or you're complaining about the 'level of chat' about it (whatever tf that means), then you're not some righteous critical thinker who is being told how to think. You're just a bit of a dick.

Just so we're clear. Zebo's 'history' or that he 'posted it on Instagram' is largely irrelevant.
:roll:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
I don't think it is, I think its really important. Regulation 20 includes "acts or statements that are, or conduct that is, discriminatory by reason of religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, colour or national or ethnic origin". These are acts that are also, in these jurisdictions, criminal offences quite rightly, and those found guilty of them should be banned from the sport and removed from society. But if no proper complaint is made, then its just shouting 'fire' in a theatre and the authorities are hindered in their attempts to stamp this kind of behaviour out.

Indeed even when these things are properly reported, investigated, and resolved to the satisfaction of the clubs and authorities involved (and this has happened to Leinster, Munster, and Ulster in the past) the stink sticks, even if the accusation is found to be other than originally thought. But there is no way to remove or lessen the stigma if the accused party isn't given the opportunity to defend themselves. And if the accusation is accurate, and no process is followed, then the loathsome individual is free to do the same again.

As it happens, there was a disciplinary hearing this week about verbal racial abuse in a European Shield game, and the ban was pretty derisory.
See you're mistaking two things here. The fact that he didn't report it properly is your issue.
Not the fact that he did report it on social media.

As everyone has said Zebo should've gone through the proper channels, but him mentioning it on social media is a moot point that's being used by people to try to discredit him for some reason.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

See you're mistaking two things here. The fact that he didn't report it properly is your issue.
Not the fact that he did report it on social media.

As everyone has said Zebo should've gone through the proper channels, but him mentioning it on social media is a moot point that's being used by people to try to discredit him for some reason.
Did you read what you wrote? He didn't report it. He posted on social media about it. If I crash my car and go on to facebook and announce that I've crashed my car doesn't mean that I have reported it. My insurance company doesn't acknowledge that as a "report" and the rugby authorities should not regard an instagram post as a report either.