Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ulster having a tough evening against Wasps 0-26 at present I believe.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

See 6 people have applied for the CEO job, https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/802181502/, wonder will they have the person in place be November?
BOD is GOD!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster played well, should not really have depended on a last min pen to win. Could be a better season for them than everyone has been predicting. Speigt looks dangerous.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Addison and Kernahan looked good additions. At this point I'd give my left testicle to have McCloskey in our No 12 jersey. Coetzea looks like he was worth waiting for and O'Connor's defensive line-out work was critical.

Scarlets turnover work proves that Beirne wasn't the only expert playing for them last year. We certainly need to find a No 7 to play them.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

A bit too close for comfort on Saturday and we never looked like scoring a try which is a problem
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

rooster wrote:A bit too close for comfort on Saturday and we never looked like scoring a try which is a problem
Don't get too greedy my friend, particularly when you've just got a great result against the team in the League who have enjoyed most success against Irish Provinces over the past two years.

Your front-five put in a great shift to stay competitive and your back-row gradually carried the ball well enough to tie in their flankers and allow your mid-field some latitude.

An excellent win and not done with any tries sents out exactly the right message when you're looking to re-build a fortress. A very good foundation laid.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Nordi Murphy & Rob Herring are up for selection this week against Edinburgh. The Backrow selection is going to be interesting this season with Cotzee, Murphy, Timoney, Reidy, Deysel and Henry in the melting pot with the two Young Rea's also pushing for a start. I know it is popular to right off the Ulster Academy but it is now begining to produce some real contenders both up front and in the backs.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought Ulster actually attacked reasonably well at times on Saturday. They turned over a lot of ball after making inroads because they forced things and tended to get a bit isolated, but I thought it was encouraging. There was definitely more of a plan and clear style of play than there has been for a while. With such little depth and Speight leaving in a few months I hope they can keep up the improvement but they're certainly fighting against the odds.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Hopefully by the time that Speight returns to the Brumbies, Stockdale, Lyttle,Busby and Kernoghan will all be available to step into his shoes. As I said before our Academey is beginning to produce a few likely lads such as Otoole and Moore among others who are capable of stepping up to do a job and they are not all Leinster rejects.
Mind you we are very grateful for Messers Oconnor and Timoney who have turned out really well for us. Not to mention others who have opted for Ulster like Murphy and Moore expecting to get greater exposure at Kingspan.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Team for game v Ediburgh
15. Will Addison
14. Craig Gilroy
13. Darren Cave
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. Henry Speight
10. Billy Burns
9. John Cooney

1. Andrew Warwick
2. Rob Herring (captain)
3. Ross Kane
4. Kieran Treadwell
5. Iain Henderson
6. Marcell Coetzee
7. Jordi Murphy
8. Nick Timoney

Replacements

16. Adam McBurney
17. Eric O’Sullivan
18. Wiehahn Herbst
19. Alan O’Connor
20. Sean Reidy
21. Dave Shanahan
22. Angus Curtis
23. Angus Kernohan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cooney signs a new 3 year deal with Ulster.
"I like where I am here and I just don't see a future for me in Leinster. It's probably that chip on my shoulder, it's probably how I'm going here. I think Ulster is a club for me. I've really bought into their values and I see myself as an Ulsterman. Obviously I'm Dublin-born but now this is the club for me.
At least he got a heino winning medal with us, just like Joey and Jordi.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Didn't see the game but Ulster came back from way behind to win 30-29 with a 81st min pen from Cooney. 20 points in the game for the Dubliner. Ruan who?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Exciting finish in Belfast - Ulster, six points down, score a try with three minutes left which Cooney converts (not super difficult, but not straightforward either). Edinburgh win an uber-lucky penalty from the restart for a Murphy offence at the breakdown that only the ref could see which they knock over. With seconds left, Alan O'Connor wins the restart with a brilliant take, and the ref, deciding to balance the c~*k-up ledger gives Ulster a pen after a couple of phases to let Cooney knock over a fairly handy kick.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:Exciting finish in Belfast - Ulster, six points down, score a try with three minutes left which Cooney converts (not super difficult, but not straightforward either). Edinburgh win an uber-lucky penalty from the restart for a Murphy offence at the breakdown that only the ref could see which they knock over. With seconds left, Alan O'Connor wins the restart with a brilliant take, and the ref, deciding to balance the c~*k-up ledger gives Ulster a pen after a couple of phases to let Cooney knock over a fairly handy kick.
+1
Nerve jangling kicks (not exactly gimmes) would be an accurate description and JC held his nerve.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:Exciting finish in Belfast - Ulster, six points down, score a try with three minutes left which Cooney converts (not super difficult, but not straightforward either). Edinburgh win an uber-lucky penalty from the restart for a Murphy offence at the breakdown that only the ref could see which they knock over. With seconds left, Alan O'Connor wins the restart with a brilliant take, and the ref, deciding to balance the c~*k-up ledger gives Ulster a pen after a couple of phases to let Cooney knock over a fairly handy kick.
Was it not Cooney giving away what appeared to be the match winning peno at scrum to Edinburgh and then move from villan to hero by kicking the actual match winner at the other end. Cracking game and if Ulster get back to back wins in SA that'll really have them set with a strong start.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote: Was it not Cooney giving away what appeared to be the match winning peno at scrum to Edinburgh and then move from villan to hero by kicking the actual match winner at the other end. Cracking game and if Ulster get back to back wins in SA that'll really have them set with a strong start.

You are indeed correct sir. Thought that Murphy penalty was still never a penalty in a month of sundays, mondays or tuesdays - and the final Ulster penalty was pretty much the same.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was confused by that Cooney penalty. Ref said that he tackled the other nine without the ball but to me it looked like the nine had got his hands on it but that it was still in the scrum.

Brilliant win anyway. Thought they were able to come up with answers and raise the tempo in a way that they haven't been able to do in ages. Cooney really is a lovely striker of the ball.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

19 yr old prop to start and 19yr old winger on the bench!
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TrapperChamonix wrote:19 yr old prop to start and 19yr old winger on the bench!
Changed times my friend, new coach trusts young lads to play.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

rooster wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:19 yr old prop to start and 19yr old winger on the bench!
Changed times my friend, new coach trusts young lads to play.
I've been reared on the line "TH props need to wait till they are in their late 20's before they are ready to play". Then we've had Furlong, Porter and now O'Toole. I've not seen him play but good on him and Dan the Man
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference