Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by rooster »

suisse wrote:SA media saying the IRFU have said no to Elton Janjetis.
Well they certainly said no to someone as that was disclosed a few weeks ago but no name was given
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

suisse wrote:SA media saying the IRFU have said no to Elton Janjetis.
Makes a change to Ulster saying no
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

neiliog93 wrote:There's an unjustified victim complex in Ulster re. the IRFU, but this is wrong. They should be allowed sign an NIQ out-half for a year or two as an interim stop-gap while McPhillips and Curtis develop. The former in particular looks a very promising player but there is nobody backing him up in the senior squad.
Unjustified? I think it's fully justified. Munster can have as many South Africans as they want!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jackie Brown wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:There's an unjustified victim complex in Ulster re. the IRFU, but this is wrong. They should be allowed sign an NIQ out-half for a year or two as an interim stop-gap while McPhillips and Curtis develop. The former in particular looks a very promising player but there is nobody backing him up in the senior squad.
Unjustified? I think it's fully justified. Munster can have as many South Africans as they want!

Now jackie. You're getting Murphy and Moore and they're only getting Beirne, so far.

All we're getting this summer is 4 stars.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

Now jackie. You're getting Murphy and Moore and they're only getting Beirne, so far.

All we're getting this summer is 4 stars.
Munster also get Haley and Botha, plus they’re trying to stockpile another IQ outhalf signing, they have 3 already. Carbery would really be messed up if he went to Munster.

I agree with Ulster having a beef with Munster, but it feels like we’re the ones getting it in the neck.

With our departures freeing up salary and our success we should be prime to make a big name signing.

If the IRFU are opposing Janties just because they are pressuring Carbery/Byrne then they are making a huge mistake.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think if they're opposing Janties they're dead right. He's not worth the money and they've already wasted probably north of a years wages for the 2 lads and Kiss and will now have to pay off the SRU as well. Could well have to pay off Logan as well.Probably better to let McFarland have the final say on this stuff. Apparently it was Logan who drove the signing of Piutau which was an odd signing given the depth they had at the time.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote:I think if they're opposing Janties they're dead right. He's not worth the money and they've already wasted probably north of a years wages for the 2 lads and Kiss and will now have to pay off the SRU as well. Could well have to pay off Logan as well.Probably better to let McFarland have the final say on this stuff. Apparently it was Logan who drove the signing of Piutau which was an odd signing given the depth they had at the time.
Sunk costs on the 2 aren’t relevant. With the squad and coaching changes there’s a need and a chance to rebuild.

There are talented young and incoming players but gaps in crucial areas. IRFU took the hit on the contracts to avoid risking commercials, they shouldn’t punish Ulster twice for that especially with supporters who feel betrayed.

The players showed heart to salvage European rugby, you don’t waste that. You build on it. Otherwise it will take years to recover.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ronk wrote:
paddyor wrote:I think if they're opposing Janties they're dead right. He's not worth the money and they've already wasted probably north of a years wages for the 2 lads and Kiss and will now have to pay off the SRU as well. Could well have to pay off Logan as well.Probably better to let McFarland have the final say on this stuff. Apparently it was Logan who drove the signing of Piutau which was an odd signing given the depth they had at the time.
Sunk costs on the 2 aren’t relevant. With the squad and coaching changes there’s a need and a chance to rebuild.

There are talented young and incoming players but gaps in crucial areas. IRFU took the hit on the contracts to avoid risking commercials, they shouldn’t punish Ulster twice for that especially with supporters who feel betrayed.

The players showed heart to salvage European rugby, you don’t waste that. You build on it. Otherwise it will take years to recover.
The costs sunk on the players are over a million with the addition of Leilofano, the debacle also will have cost IRFU money on the payoff. IRFU will also have to buy out McFarland or else leave us without a coach. As for Logan he is a waste of oxygen and money at present as no one can actually identify what he does, yes the Piutau thing was a daft ticket sales move when we actually needed forwards instead.
Now for next season we have a smaller sq(uad, 41 is the talk and that includes academy players, at 9 and 10 we have no realistic backup, unless we count Lowry at 10 and he has hardly played in AIL with injury to the extent that he was not considered for U20 side. At 9 we have Cooney and next is Shanaghan who actually was supposed to be getting the chop, probably better 9's playing with club sides to be honest.
An injury to either Cooney or McPhilips and we are in big trouble.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Jackie Brown wrote:

So can Ulster. Just not the same one 7 seasons in a row and when he finally moves on you have to sign three 9's from Leinster, Cooney by way of Connacht and 2 Leinster rejects. Ulster had nothing in their academy. 7 years with Pinear and no succession policy, no depth planning ? who's fault is that.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I think the IRFU are going to make Munster and Ulster build more from within, supplemented by IQ players that may come through the exiles or cast offs from Leinster. I can see that players at Leinster academy level are going to be directed more towards the other 3 provinces with full pro contracts. I hope Leinster continue to get first call.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

BlueBlue wrote:I think the IRFU are going to make Munster and Ulster build more from within, supplemented by IQ players that may come through the exiles or cast offs from Leinster. I can see that players at Leinster academy level are going to be directed more towards the other 3 provinces with full pro contracts. I hope Leinster continue to get first call.
It's the National team and 6N tv rights that largely pays for the whole show (including the provincial teams), so whatever is in the interests of Ireland should be the rule.
To me that would mean that would mean four available picks in each position and a lot of players heading to Connacht with them having first dibs in a draft until such time as it's a level playing field and we have four teams of a roughly equal calibre.
Leinster might feel hard done by but it's not the rest of Ireland's fault that our dublin centric policies have hoovered up a disproportionate percentage of our population.
(By rights the likes of O'Driscoll and Sexton would have been Munster born and bred for example.)
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

tomthefan wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:I think the IRFU are going to make Munster and Ulster build more from within, supplemented by IQ players that may come through the exiles or cast offs from Leinster. I can see that players at Leinster academy level are going to be directed more towards the other 3 provinces with full pro contracts. I hope Leinster continue to get first call.
It's the National team and 6N tv rights that largely pays for the whole show (including the provincial teams), so whatever is in the interests of Ireland should be the rule.
To me that would mean that would mean four available picks in each position and a lot of players heading to Connacht with them having first dibs in a draft until such time as it's a level playing field and we have four teams of a roughly equal calibre.
Leinster might feel hard done by but it's not the rest of Ireland's fault that our dublin centric policies have hoovered up a disproportionate percentage of our population.
(By rights the likes of O'Driscoll and Sexton would have been Munster born and bred for example.)
Its hard enough to get Cork lads to go to Limerick! The problems may start when forcing players to move home opens them up competition from overseas big money.

Re BOD & Sexton - same goes for ROG playing for the USA of CJ playing for SA. (or is it the lenghts Munster women will go to so as to get their offspring playing for a decent team? :wink: )
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Israel were obviously denied a world class ruby player too...
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

olaf the fat wrote:
tomthefan wrote:
Its hard enough to get Cork lads to go to Limerick! The problems may start when forcing players to move home opens them up competition from overseas big money.

Re BOD & Sexton - same goes for ROG playing for the USA of CJ playing for SA. (or is it the lenghts Munster women will go to so as to get their offspring playing for a decent team? :wink: )
Everyone wants a Cork woman and who can blame them?
No reason was specified.

tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

fourthirtythree wrote:Israel were obviously denied a world class ruby player too...
Palestine actually
No reason was specified.

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

tomthefan wrote:
(By rights the likes of O'Driscoll and Sexton would have been Munster born and inbred for example.)
Fixed that for ya
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

BlueBlue wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

So can Ulster. Just not the same one 7 seasons in a row and when he finally moves on you have to sign three 9's from Leinster, Cooney by way of Connacht and 2 Leinster rejects. Ulster had nothing in their academy. 7 years with Pinear and no succession policy, no depth planning ? who's fault is that.
It so happens during that time we had plenty of centres and wings coming through bit no scrum halfs. We also had Sextons successor and another back up 10 who if they had been charged in ROI would still be with us.
The academy is starting to work and we now are in severe difficulties with a 9/10 axis to make best use of the talent we have at present about 1 or 2 years out from a very competitive side
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

JJ should move to Ulster. He’s stalled again in Munster and they only want him as backup if Tyler retires.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ronk wrote:JJ should move to Ulster. He’s stalled again in Munster and they only want him as backup if Tyler retires.
If we are only getting a short term second rate solution at 10 I think they would rather go with the young lads that are here as at least they should improve
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ronk wrote:JJ should move to Ulster. He’s stalled again in Munster and they only want him as backup if Tyler retires.
Maybe if Carbery gets parachuted in ahead of him he should. Failing that, it looks as if he's the main man going forward. Bleyendaal is a write-off.