Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Dave Cahill »

lotmc wrote: Maybe the IRFU are being a bit Machiavellian, and realise that the disruption to Scottish Rugby by having McFarland inside the Scottish camp for the full term of his notice period wouldn't be a bad thing for Ireland (but not Ulster).
I'd say the closest McFarland will get to a scottish camp until his notice is up is if he buys a tent!
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

kermischocolate wrote:
Lar wrote:But the SRU won't admit that because they want the biggest possible pay off for McFarland breaking his contract early.
Why shouldn't they? They clearly don't want him to go.
Plus the fact that they are the owners of two teams who will be competing against Dan. No doubt the club sides are insisting the SRU make him see out his contract.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Peg Leg wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Lar wrote:But the SRU won't admit that because they want the biggest possible pay off for McFarland breaking his contract early.
Why shouldn't they? They clearly don't want him to go.
Plus the fact that they are the owners of two teams who will be competing against Dan. No doubt the club sides are insisting the SRU make him see out his contract.
Doubt it.
The clubs are micro managed by the SRU so it's unlikely they'll have any say.

McFarland is very highly rated and the SRU would much prefer to keep him. As they can't why wouldn't they try and go for damage limitation in the form of good hard cash? I don't think it's unreasonable.

The timings seem very odd but you'd have to think he'll be in Belfast long before January.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Precisely
Four Stars
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

So of the six main (male) awards tonight at the Ulster awards John Cooney got three and Nick Timony got two.

Cooney got the Supporters, Rugby Writers and Senior Player of the Year Awards and Timony got Academy and Young Player of the Year Awards

#GoodManJohn
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Xanthippe wrote:So of the six main (male) awards tonight at the Ulster awards John Cooney got three and Nick Timony got two.

Cooney got the Supporters, Rugby Writers and Senior Player of the Year Awards and Timony got Academy and Young Player of the Year Awards

#GoodManJohn
Well done that man! A fantastic season for him. In my opinion he has done everything possible to push past the others [Marmion, McGrath] this season and become Conor Murray's understudy for Ireland. He is the most Murray-like of the three pretenders in his skill-set as well.

This is the deepest we have ever been at scrum-half, and all four players are still in their 20s. A great position to be in.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:So of the six main (male) awards tonight at the Ulster awards John Cooney got three and Nick Timony got two.

#GoodManJohn
Well done that man! A fantastic season for him. In my opinion he has done everything possible to push past the others [Marmion, McGrath] this season and become Conor Murray's understudy for Ireland. He is the most Murray-like of the three pretenders in his skill-set as well.

This is the deepest we have ever been at scrum-half, and all four players are still in their 20s. A great position to be in.
What can Leinster can learn from John Cooneys development/progress?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Is that a rhetorical question?
Four Stars
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:

#GoodManJohn

Cooney at Connacht, I admit I barely remember him. He was the forgotten man of Irish rugby, I'd have to remind people that he played in the 2012 Heino final.
The move to Ulster has transformed his profile. To do so well behind a poor pack and a team in general that struggled so badly was remarkable. 2nd to Murray in the SH battle for sure, especially with his goal kicking ability.
Cooney's rugby career began when he joined Ulster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by blockhead » May 11th, 2018, 9:22 am

Cooney's rugby career began when he joined Ulster.]
Conney wasn't forgotten at Connacht or anywhere else. He was behind Marmion who was playing out of his skin those seasons. It took him a while to get used to Lam's system and he was injured a bit but everyone out West knew he was a serious talent. Very happy to see do so well up north.
Last edited by sunshiner1 on May 14th, 2018, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Don't employ MOC again?

Cooney played in 15 games in Joe's last season 12/13 as a 22/23 year old. His trajectory was looking good up to that point without knowing what his ceiling was. Then he was effectively tossed in the rubbish bin.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's become a leader in a way that I never thought possible and I think that feeds into the way his game management has improved so much. He doesn't just service his outhalf like he used to, he runs the game himself and is well able for that. The way he takes on the responsibility of goal kicking and looks so comfortable doing so is something that I would not have imagined him doing when he was with us.

That's what makes me hopeful that this season isn't just a once off, hope he keeps it up.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's become a leader in a way that I never thought possible and I think that feeds into the way his game management has improved so much. He doesn't just service his outhalf like he used to, he runs the game himself and is well able for that. The way he takes on the responsibility of goal kicking and looks so comfortable doing so is something that I would not have imagined him doing when he was with us.

That's what makes me hopeful that this season isn't just a once off, hope he keeps it up.
He actually is our only reliable goal kicker at present and scrum half for that matter, just hope he stays fit all next season
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's become a leader in a way that I never thought possible and I think that feeds into the way his game management has improved so much. He doesn't just service his outhalf like he used to, he runs the game himself and is well able for that. The way he takes on the responsibility of goal kicking and looks so comfortable doing so is something that I would not have imagined him doing when he was with us.

That's probably what we can best learn. The development of personality and leadership qualities is dependant on circumstances, largely from external influences.

Cooney has learned from Elwood, Lam, Carolin and McFarland as well as Schmidt, Kiss, Gibbes and others. However, I personally believe that the almost forgotten Dwayne Peel has been a very significent mentor and Coach to Cooney and has improved his: a) passing; b) decision-making; c) box-kicking; and d) line-breaking.

That's a very impressive contribution by one Coach and Schmidt should recognise it in his selection for Australia.

Dwayne Peel, take a bow.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

That's probably what we can best learn. The development of personality and leadership qualities is dependant on circumstances, largely from external influences.

Cooney has learned from Elwood, Lam, Carolin and McFarland as well as Schmidt, Kiss, Gibbes and others. However, I personally believe that the almost forgotten Dwayne Peel has been a very significent mentor and Coach to Cooney and has improved his: a) passing; b) decision-making; c) box-kicking; and d) line-breaking.

That's a very impressive contribution by one Coach and Schmidt should recognise it in his selection for Australia.

Dwayne Peel, take a bow.
I think there is a clear case for a specific scrumhalf coach, maybe that could be the skills coach but it's such a specialized position that young inexperienced 9's can benefit massively from a specialized scrumhalf coaching from an experienced 9 who has been there and done that.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Don't employ MOC again?

Cooney played in 15 games in Joe's last season 12/13 as a 22/23 year old. His trajectory was looking good up to that point without knowing what his ceiling was. Then he was effectively tossed in the rubbish bin.
I seem to remember it as McGrath having overtaken him as next in line to Boss/Reddan? Hard to give game time to all 4
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote:
OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Don't employ MOC again?

I seem to remember it as McGrath having overtaken him as next in line to Boss/Reddan? Hard to give game time to all 4
That's wasn't the factual position when he was loaned to Connacht. It's the revised version according to the MAA (Michael's Alumni Assoc).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Don't employ MOC again?

Or, we saw what his ceiling was and decided to go for the next cab on the rank.

He may be Ulsters best player this season, but so what. Julian Simmons was their second best player and Uncle Andy finished third.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Don't employ MOC again?

Or, we saw what his ceiling was and decided to go for the next cab on the rank.

He may be Ulsters best player this season, but so what. Julian Simmons was their second best player and Uncle Andy finished third.
His ceiling is looking “grand hotel foyer” high right now. Easily the second best in skill and influence in the country over the season. If there ever was a decision to opt for McGrath over Conney based on potential, then it’s looking decidedly marginal now. The jury’s still out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

#GoodManJohn
Just as well David nucifora did listen to all the moaners on here saying making pienar leave would destroy Ulster. :D well done David, he might be right about Joey as well :clap: