Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Xanthippe »

A little bit early I know but if we can keep this to just rugby then it means I won't have to keep skipping over conversations I want no part of.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Oldschool »

Ulster need all the help they can get from the other provinces in their push for a spot in Europe.
With that in mind; Leinster need to beat Treviso and prevent them getting any BPs from the game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Treviso have Zebre at home in R21, so if they get nothing on Saturday should get to 55 points. 5 more points for Ulster in that case would secure 4th and a home playoff.

There is a possible scenario where there could be an 8th pro 14 side in the H Cup in 18/19. If a Pro 14 side win it this year & all of the Challenge SF sides qualify via their league, then the league get an 8th spot.

Whether it would be the loser of the playoff/best non qualified side etc.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

(15-9): C Piutau, L Ludik, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale, J McPhillips, J Cooney;
(1-8): C Black, R Best (Capt), R Kane, K Treadwell, I Henderson, M Rea, J Deysel, S Reidy;

(16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, T O'Toole, A O'Connor, N Timoney, D Shanahan, L Marshall, T Bowe.

15 Dan Evans 14 Jeff Hassler 13 Kieron Fonotia 12 Owen Watkin 11 Hanno Dirksen 10 Dan Biggar 9 Tom Habberfield 1 Nicky Smith 2 Scott Otten 3 Dmitri Arhip 4 Bradley Davies 5 Adam Beard 6 Alun Wyn Jones (C) 7 Sam Cross 8 James King

16 Ifan Phillips 17 Rhodri Jones 18 Ma’afu Fia 19 Lloyd Ashley 20 Guy Mercer 21 Matthew Aubrey 22 Sam Davies 23 James Hook

Could be a rematch in a few weeks for the final Euro spot via the league. Hopefully will be a decent game. Master of the Dark Arts AWJ starting 1st game at no 6 for the Ospreys in 11 years.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neill_m wrote:Treviso have Zebre at home in R21, so if they get nothing on Saturday should get to 55 points. 5 more points for Ulster in that case would secure 4th and a home playoff.

There is a possible scenario where there could be an 8th pro 14 side in the H Cup in 18/19. If a Pro 14 side win it this year & all of the Challenge SF sides qualify via their league, then the league get an 8th spot.

Whether it would be the loser of the playoff/best non qualified side etc.
Of the four SF only Gloucester are not in a already qualified league position and even at that they are only 2 points off such a position.
The other three teams Pau, Newcastle and Cardiff look reasonable bets to qualify automatically if Ulster do the business tonight.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great tough result for Ulster.....now if Scarlets can do them a favour tomorrow.......
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Great tough result for Ulster.....now if Scarlets can do them a favour tomorrow.......
Unlikely given the team Scarlets have picked but, if things stay the way they are, Ulster v Ospreys will be the ERC playoff game and based on tonight you'd have to fancy Ulster.
The scoreline didn't reflect their superiority.
The result cements Cardiff in as likely ERC qualifiers.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Great tough result for Ulster.....now if Scarlets can do them a favour tomorrow.......
Not sure it would do any good - even if Scarlets could win Edinburgh play Glasgow in their final game. Glasgow have secured their home semi final so have absolutely nothing to play for and also have the chance to help a fellow Scottish team achieve Champions Cup rugby at the expense of an Irish team.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yep Cardiff for the Heino. A rematch of tonights game for the play-off. Ulster played very well up to a point, then fupped up time and time again. But they were camped in the ospreys 22 for the entire 2nd half.
They've stopped feeling sorry for themselves and started to show some real aggression. Hendo looks like a man on a mission. The MOTM Rea looks like a strong lad too. I think we'll see them in the Heino next season, thankfully.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Wit would be nice if this thread related to rugby as requested. The other thread has room for you to vent your spleen.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oh ffs - can you please keep comments on the trial etc in the OTHER Ulster thread. We’re trying to keep this one for rugby conversation
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Xanthippe wrote:
Not sure it would do any good - even if Scarlets could win Edinburgh play Glasgow in their final game. Glasgow have secured their home semi final so have absolutely nothing to play for and also have the chance to help a fellow Scottish team achieve Champions Cup rugby at the expense of an Irish team.
Glasgow playing Edinburgh for the 1872 Cup 1-1 so far this year. They may rest v Ulster to be full gas for the Scots Derby.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Xanthippe wrote:Oh ffs - can you please keep comments on the trial etc in the OTHER Ulster thread. We’re trying to keep this one for rugby conversation
Agreed. This is for on pitch stuff.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
Ulster are away to Munster so that could balance out especially if Munster beat Racing in the ERC S/F.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So next season, Ulster will have lost Tommy, the other two whom I'm now not supposed to mention, Piatau, probably Payne, Trimble is on his last legs. It's looking thin in the backs.
Ulster were the IRFU's pet project a few years back then they switched it down to Munster. Looks like they may have to go back up north and put some serious focus on building that team again. That could be bad news for Leinster (players) and Munster (money).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Most of those guys didn’t play much, with exceptions.

But there’s still a need to get talent in key positions in the backline.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:Most of those guys didn’t play much, with exceptions.

But there’s still a need to get talent in key positions in the backline.
I’d imagine that the likes of Frawley would be an attractive target for them. Big, confident, skilful lad who can potentially play at 10, 12 or 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

neill_m wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Glasgow playing Edinburgh for the 1872 Cup 1-1 so far this year. They may rest v Ulster to be full gas for the Scots Derby.
Not likely. We need some form and momentum. I wouldn't expect many unenforced Glasgow changes in the next couple of weeks.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Ulster 2018-2019

Post by neill_m »

Scarlets 3rd XV 21-0 down.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

BP try after 23 minutes - combination of Scarlets resting their players, Edinburgh looking to kick back after last weeks loss and Scarlets resting their players (again)
I have Bumbleflex