Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by leinsterforever »

It would be interesting to see where Marsh could get to with more gametime. He's great at bringing his backs into play, a very creative passer

McPhillips, Marsh, Curtis and Lowry would be enough bodies anyway. They need that extra player in there with Curtis also covering 12
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Nucifora hinting very strongly that Ulster / IRFU are close on the tail of an IQ out-half not currently playing with one of the Provinces. Can only think of Steenson as being of the required calibre. Any other suggestions?
Nucifora said this would not be one of the outhalves on Munster’s roster, nor even from one of the other provinces, with Ian Madigan and Gareth Steenson also being ruled out.

Direct quote from GT's article. Maybe a Kiwi/Saffer/Aussie with an Irish granny?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Andrew Deegan has something lined up in Oz already, right?

Callum Sheedy has a contract with Bristol till 2020 afaik

Crosbie is a free agent but probably wouldn't be as good an option as Marsh

Would Tomás Quinlan be an option?

All in all, I'd say Marsh fits the bill best
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Firstly the appointment was leaked by INM - it wasn't a problem until then and everything became public.

Secondly, we know with absolute 100% certainly that Ulster aren't responsible for Ulster. We know this because in the Ospreys playoff Ruan Pienaar wasn't paired with Paddy Jackson at halfback.

The IRFU have a Performance Director in place who is responsible for, amongst other things, "professional coach development and succession planning". This is the guy who insisted that Pat Lam's contract contained the exit clause, who gave us Rassie Erasmus (without telling the guy he was replacing), who let Rassie Erasmus go via the same exit clause as Pat Lam used, who didn't know that Leinster had engaged Graham Henry, hired and then fired Kieran Keane and of course pertinent to this discussion, the guy who gave us the Anscombe-Kiss-Doak-Kiss-Gibbes game of musical coaches in Ulster. In the four years he's held this role 10 provincial coaches have been either sacked or appointed (and in some cases subsequently sacked/removed). Thats a pretty extraordinary turnover.

So, there are two ways to look at it. If the above is accurate, or even mostly accurate, then he's an incompetent. If the above isn't accurate, or is mostly inaccurate even, then he allowed it to happen on his watch and is, therefore, incompetent.

So if theres another shambolic coaching appointment process, like we currently have in Ulster, then it is both walking and talking like a duck
Silly is the only word I have for you.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

BlueBlue wrote:
Firstly the appointment was leaked by INM - it wasn't a problem until then and everything became public.

Secondly, we know with absolute 100% certainly that Ulster aren't responsible for Ulster. We know this because in the Ospreys playoff Ruan Pienaar wasn't paired with Paddy Jackson at halfback.

The IRFU have a Performance Director in place who is responsible for, amongst other things, "professional coach development and succession planning". This is the guy who insisted that Pat Lam's contract contained the exit clause, who gave us Rassie Erasmus (without telling the guy he was replacing), who let Rassie Erasmus go via the same exit clause as Pat Lam used, who didn't know that Leinster had engaged Graham Henry, hired and then fired Kieran Keane and of course pertinent to this discussion, the guy who gave us the Anscombe-Kiss-Doak-Kiss-Gibbes game of musical coaches in Ulster. In the four years he's held this role 10 provincial coaches have been either sacked or appointed (and in some cases subsequently sacked/removed). Thats a pretty extraordinary turnover.

So, there are two ways to look at it. If the above is accurate, or even mostly accurate, then he's an incompetent. If the above isn't accurate, or is mostly inaccurate even, then he allowed it to happen on his watch and is, therefore, incompetent.

So if theres another shambolic coaching appointment process, like we currently have in Ulster, then it is both walking and talking like a duck
Silly is the only word I have for you.
Someone get me some suncream and a bottle of milk of magnesia, because that was such a sick burn.
I have Bumbleflex
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

A little tummy rub and someone telling you you're still wonderful should do it Dave, that someone being yourself.
drive for 5
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Simon Easterby to 'provide interim coaching support' at Ulster.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Okay now it's officially a mess. Very surprised that a deal hasn't been struck with the Scottish union, just doesn't make sense for anyone involved IMO. It's going to be very tough for McFarland to join mid season, he's going to be finding his feet as a head coach as it is, so to not have a clean slate and have to continue on from Easterby's methods must be extra difficult. I'm sure he has some involvement now but that's still a completely different kettle of fish to running the show himself.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Wouldn't be allowed to happen at Leinster or Munster. Ulster rugby has no respect for itself. By all accounts McFarland hasn't actually signed anything with us. We should find someone else. f%~king joke shop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Actually, very similar has happened at Munster just last year. If you recall, their head coach only joined half way through the season also, along with a new defense coach. Also Andy Farrell has spent time there giving a dig out.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leinster ended up promoting their forwards coach with 1 years experience when they had difficulty getting a replacement. Bomber only came when our defence coach quit in preseason for personal reasons.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Okay, but aside from the times similar things have happened, this is totally unique to Ulster!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I called it a joke and a mess 4 or 5 weeks ago, but the forever correct brigade on here reassured me it was the IRFU's mess and they would pony up with an offer to the Scots to fix their mess. I rolled around laughing.

Here's how things actually happened...

UR; After an extensive search we've found our man, McFarland who is under contract with SRU.
IRFU; Looks good, go ahead an open formal negotiations
UR; Ok.
UR; Ok we've negotiated, here's the details.
IRFU; Looks good, sign him.
UR; Ok, we love you IRFU
IRFU; Enough of that now, just go and sort it.
UR; We signed him, from this point on, our soon to be fired CEO say's we are going to be the best club in the whole wide world, not just Europe. THE WORLD.
IRFU; Awesome. Congratulations.
UR; When are you going to cosy up to the Scots and ask them
IRFU; Cosy up to the Scots, what do you mean, fat chance after those cheap f**ks sold us out for 5 Franc's. Do you not remember the whole world cup thing? The vote, where were you, hiding under a rock? Oh yeah that f**kin trial thing, don't bring that horse manure up again for the love of god, you guys,.... you were a bit distracted. weren't we all. Jesus help me.
UR; And the money?
IRFU; What money ?
UR; You know, the thing. We all know about the thing! Don't we?
IRFU; No, what thing.
UR; The money you have to give the scots to sweeten the deal for the nobody coach we've just signed, you know after you go cap in hand to the Scots, the money you'll have to give them after they fall around laughing at you and humiliate you for a while. With the mocking and the laughing and all. The thing, the money.
IRFU; Get out of my f**king office you pack of ejits. Drico was only half right, you lot are a total basket case full time, 24/7 365 days of the year. Get out before you f**k something else up, don't touch anything just go. Its your f**king mess you fix it. I swear to god I'm going to be sick into my hands.
UR; But what will we do ? The Scots said that (between fits of laughter) they are waiting for you're call.
IRFU; Put that best club in the world shite on ice for another 2 decades you pack of muppets.
IRFU; when hell freezes over or there's a border poll, or an end to UK Euro sceptic's we'll ask the f**king cheap bast**d Scot'S for a favour.
IRFU; Get out god dame you!!
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Get Simon or Farrell on the phone, we'll make one of them do it.
drive for 5
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And they still need to recruit
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Todays Indo - The Scottish Rugby Union are adamant, however, that McFarland will remain with them until January, at which point his contractual notice period will have been served.

It is another messy coaching transition for Ulster, who had hoped that their new boss would arrive in time for pre-season, which began last week.

Instead, it looks increasingly likely that the SRU will continue to stand firm over releasing McFarland from his contract, even though his successor Danny Wilson has already been appointed.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I'd say the fall out between the IRFU and SRU is major and beyond all of our assumptions. I'm thinking Chernobyl type proportions.
drive for 5
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Chernobyl proportions?
He's a club coach. Not sure if you're following the local and very current, very heartbreaking work being done to help the people in Chernobyl? That's very tasteless.

I'm not here looking to be offended or nor am I a beacon of good taste and correctness, but you should rephrase that because that is offensive.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Peg Leg wrote:Chernobyl proportions?
He's a club coach. Not sure if you're following the local and very current, very heartbreaking work being done to help the people in Chernobyl? That's very tasteless.

I'm not here looking to be offended or nor am I a beacon of good taste and correctness, but you should rephrase that because that is offensive.
No.
drive for 5
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jesys Peggy That's going down like the bel..... What Paul Wallace said.