Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby rooster » January 18th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Oldschool wrote:Henderson starting and Cooney on bench.
Very good news for Ulster and Ireland.
Interesting that Cooney on the bench, there are a few in that team not totally injury free.
User avatar
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3297
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby rooster » January 18th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Oldschool wrote:What kind of team are Ulster likely to be able to field and what are the odds of -
1. A TBP win.
2. A win.
3. A TBP draw - unlikely so skip that one but hope for the punter's curse.
4. A TBP + LBP. rare enough
5. A losing TBP rare enough
6. A LBP
7. Nought.
8. What are bookies saying.
I'll settle for a point but would rather have a win, no chance of topping the pool anyway, Racing have it on the combined scores with us.
User avatar
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3297
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby blockhead » January 18th, 2019, 11:30 pm

7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
And we thought Munster were the only ungrateful, low-achieving, bloodsucking parasites.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby ronk » January 19th, 2019, 12:53 am

blockhead wrote:7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
And we thought Munster were the only ungrateful, low-achieving, bloodsucking parasites.


They did significant development work for 4 of them (keeping them in the game), signed 2 who had already left (& we weren’t looking to get back). They didn’t do anything bad over Jordi even though we miss him.

They didn’t poach any players breaking through for us, so they didn’t damage our development process. Most of Munster’s signing from us were
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9691
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby blockhead » January 19th, 2019, 1:19 am

ronk wrote:
blockhead wrote:7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
And we thought Munster were the only ungrateful, low-achieving, bloodsucking parasites.


They did significant development work for 4 of them (keeping them in the game), signed 2 who had already left (& we weren’t looking to get back). They didn’t do anything bad over Jordi even though we miss him.

They didn’t poach any players breaking through for us, so they didn’t damage our development process. Most of Munster’s signing from us were


So as the parole officer said in the movie Raising Arizona. "Okay then"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby tomthefan » January 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Leinster players come to Munster for the same reason the Irish went to America, to make a better life for themselves. 8)
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 380
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby TerenureJim » January 19th, 2019, 1:48 pm

tomthefan wrote:Leinster players come to Munster for the same reason the Irish went to America, to make a better life for themselves. 8)


Did you just compare Limerick to New York?
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5243
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby blockhead » January 19th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Well done Ulster. Showed a lot of grit in that 2nd half.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby brotheroffrank » January 19th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Cooney made a big difference when he came on.
User avatar
brotheroffrank
Bookworm
 
Posts: 144
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: Na Glasáin

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 20th, 2019, 12:24 am

Dan McFarland and Aaron Dundin should consider sending Dan Cole a cheque for "Fees for professional Coaching for a Loose head Prop - 1 hour Stg£250". Certainly Ulster's young loose-head Eoin O'Sullivan will rarely receive more valuable tuition than the lessons passed on by Dan Cole this afternoon.

Aside from that, McFarland and Dundon deserve praise for their continued development of Ulster's set-pieces which resisted the power and experience of the Tigers pack during an error strewn afternoon in Welford Road.

Ulster were unlucky to lose Coetzee so early, but how well did Henderson, Murphy and Best play? Those three and Stockdale & Ludik were the reasons that Ulster survived 70 minutes of this game with only 13 points conceded. John Cooney had a lot to do with how Ulster scored 14 points to win but credit the five lads for their efforts.

Ulster will need the next six weeks to continue the development of their young guns, before their q/f game raises it's head. They are improving and more stars are emerging game by game. They will lose six to Irish Camp but the youngesters will have game time and hard-nosed coaching in the interim. Both are required.

Great win but the performance can be improved.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Ulster 2018-2019

Postby artaneboy » January 20th, 2019, 11:39 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dan McFarland and Aaron Dundin should consider sending Dan Cole a cheque for "Fees for professional Coaching for a Loose head Prop - 1 hour Stg£250". Certainly Ulster's young loose-head Eoin O'Sullivan will rarely receive more valuable tuition than the lessons passed on by Dan Cole this afternoon.

Aside from that, McFarland and Dundon deserve praise for their continued development of Ulster's set-pieces which resisted the power and experience of the Tigers pack during an error strewn afternoon in Welford Road.

Ulster were unlucky to lose Coetzee so early, but how well did Henderson, Murphy and Best play? Those three and Stockdale & Ludik were the reasons that Ulster survived 70 minutes of this game with only 13 points conceded. John Cooney had a lot to do with how Ulster scored 14 points to win but credit the five lads for their efforts.

Ulster will need the next six weeks to continue the development of their young guns, before their q/f game raises it's head. They are improving and more stars are emerging game by game. They will lose six to Irish Camp but the youngesters will have game time and hard-nosed coaching in the interim. Both are required.

Great win but the performance can be improved.


£250 an hour! Jaysus- that standard of consultancy would be a multiple of that: £700 plus VAT, at least m- and all the pies he can carry...

Cooney made the difference. Shanahan did well, but their first ex-Leinster 9 drove the team expertly. But you are also correct- Best, Murphy and Henderson were rocks in that pack.

Stockdale though??? Jaysus- I’ve been reserved until recently on fully riding on the bandwagon. But I’m clambering on now. On his current form he’s the best winger in world rugby.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3332
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 20th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Whilst my comment about Dan Cole's dominance of Eric O'Sullivan was somewhat tongue in cheque (sic), I cannot commend the former Templeogue man enough for hanging in there throughout the 50 torrid minutes he was on the pitch. Although the cameras were not on his side during that first half, the shape of the Ulster scrum told a clear story about where pressure was being applied. Despite ending up in some grotesque shapes, he continued to resist Cole and his hooker in every scrum. Not an easy task.

Having overseen many scrum sessions, aside from participating in them decades ago, the reaction of a player who is receiving painful and powerful lessons, is one of the benchmarks of which players will learn and thrive and which ones will perish under the pressure. Based on yesterday alone, O'Sullivan reacted like one of those who will emerge immeasurable better from yesterday's experience.

McFarland and Dundon will continue to have O'Sullivan, Herring, Moore, O'Connor and Treadwell available for the next 6 weeks of Pro14 games. This front five, aside from powering the Ulster challenge in these games, will grow in power, fitness and cohesion and, strengthened by the returning Best and Henderson, become a formidable unit by the time they contest their quarter-final.

The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby Oldschool » January 20th, 2019, 2:12 pm

brotheroffrank wrote:Cooney made a big difference when he came on.

That's a really good sign in a player.
What you want from a player coming off the bench is impact.
Impact comes in all shapes and sizes.
You want your half backs, in particular, to show signs that they've been reading the game and have an idea on how to change things or that the coach has and that they have the wherewithal to be able to implement those insights.
The other thing you want is for them to be able to hit the ground running ah la Billy Holland for that lineout steal against Exeter.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11848
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » January 22nd, 2019, 4:24 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.



MacFarland has been a great signing. Not only a technically good coach but I suspect he doesn't tolerate low standards and that might have something to do with all the players leaving mid season.


Getting the team culture sorted is important. They've some exceptional players and can start building up squad depth from here on.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1503
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby rooster » January 22nd, 2019, 9:04 am

dropkick wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.



MacFarland has been a great signing. Not only a technically good coach but I suspect he doesn't tolerate low standards and that might have something to do with all the players leaving mid season.


Getting the team culture sorted is important. They've some exceptional players and can start building up squad depth from here on.
Mid season moves were financial as well in letting players who were getting culled at the end of the season go elsewhere.
User avatar
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3297
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby TrapperChamonix » January 22nd, 2019, 4:39 pm

rooster wrote:Mid season moves were financial as well in letting players who were getting culled at the end of the season go elsewhere.


I dont see how that could be the case. Anyone who was released early would have had to be paid out in full. If they weren't then their Agents weren't doing their jobs.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby domhnallj » January 22nd, 2019, 5:01 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46964562

Dunno if this has been reported above (apologies if so)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby RobbieRockBoy » January 22nd, 2019, 5:06 pm

So it did happen.. hope some posters here can acknowledge that fact
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened
 
Posts: 862
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:41 pm
Location: The Heart of Rugby

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby the spoofer » January 22nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

RobbieRockBoy wrote:So it did happen.. hope some posters here can acknowledge that fact


No one questioned it. I questioned the manner in which it was dealt with. Fair dues Ulster, that's a proper punishment.
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Postby Dave Cahill » January 22nd, 2019, 6:39 pm

Well thats Lord Kilclooney left with nothing to do of a weekend.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21886
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest