The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by TerenureJim »

tomthefan wrote:Thanks mildly.
What your figures make stark is how beneficial it is to play almost every game at home.
Everyone knows this already of course, getting a home QF is almost a ticket to the semis. But when your semi in a neutral ground is actually in your home ground also? And then when the final is as well? I seem to remember Munster getting home country advantage against Leinster a couple of times and then playing the match in leinster's home stadium! You couldn't make it up. In fact Munster have never had a home semi final in the hc and yet have still managed to get to 4 finals. How many finals have Leinster gotten to playing away in the semis?
Anyway thanks again for going to all the trouble of looking this up my behalf, fascinating reading.
So you're saying Munster should be trying to do better at the group stages to ensure they get a home semi and they should get into discussions about a large stadium in Cork? 100% agree with you.

Leinster really are terrible victims of their own success in and to think of that walkover of a group we had last year, not to mention the easy sides we met in the knockouts.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

TerenureJim wrote: ... they should get into discussions about a large stadium in Cork? 100% agree with you.
That would be nice Jim but you and I both know the IRFU would still force Munster to play our biggest home games in your ground.

They took our coach from us after we won the HC in 2008, ie broke up a proven winning combination, and then forced us to
play you in your ground in the semi in 2009. Could they have done any more for ye?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

tomthefan wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: ... they should get into discussions about a large stadium in Cork? 100% agree with you.
That would be nice Jim but you and I both know the IRFU would still force Munster to play our biggest home games in your ground.

They took our coach from us after we won the HC in 2008, ie broke up a proven winning combination, and then forced us to
play you in your ground in the semi in 2009. Could they have done any more for ye?
such conspiracies are all munster fans have these days. :clap: :lol:
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

tomthefan wrote:

Ah goway. GAA HQ is in no way Leinster's home ground.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Laighin Break wrote:
tomthefan wrote:

Ah goway. GAA HQ is in no way Leinster's home ground.
Neither is the Aviva.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Laighin Break wrote:Ah goway. GAA HQ is in no way Leinster's home ground.
:wink:
mildlyinterested wrote:Neither is the Aviva.

Munster have reached the semi finals 13 times, 0 home, 13 away, won 4.
Leinster have reached the semi final 8 times, 4 home, 4 away, won 4.
No reason was specified.

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

tomthefan wrote:

Final wins, Leinster 4, Munster 2.

Final wins this decade: Leinster 3, Munster 0.

:clap:
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

mildlyinterested wrote:
tomthefan wrote:

Final wins, Leinster 4, Munster 2.

Final wins this decade: Leinster 3, Munster 0.

:clap:
I agree.
You must do what you can to preserve the neutral Aviva loophole
No reason was specified.

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Its a fact now, the Leinster v Munster rivalry is no longer on the pitch, its between fans in pubs and on message boards, we haven't had it put up to us on the pitch like plucky Tom the Fan in ages. Very pathetic, but a least carry's on the long tradition of myth and being cheated by the Big Lads up in de capital. But still more fight than the lack of commitment from Munstermen (well about 40% of any given XV), and POM cross stare. The POM stare that turns to confusion at yet another loss at the end of a big game.

In all seriousness, Munster should win a cup this year. They have the form (semi finals a lot), they have the coaching structure they want who are bedded in. They have the squad, an international class pivot and a stronger squad than last season to go 1 step further. There haven't been any excuses in the last decade, just failure, there certainly aren't any excuses to hide behind now. They got at least 6 years outta that transition phase.
Last edited by BlueBlue on September 26th, 2018, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I've noticed growing discontent with Joey Carberry on Munster forums and message boards / Instagram. Anyone else notice this or is it just me ? Why is he rated is a common trend for example. Another, why is Munster wasting money on yet anther ordinary 10, a reference to Keatly I suppose. Funny that Tyler Blayendal seems to have built d'legend states over a 25mins period over 3 seasons.
drive for 5
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

BlueBlue wrote:I've noticed growing discontent with Joey Carberry on Munster forums and message boards / Instagram. Anyone else notice this or is it just me ? Why is he rated is a common trend for example. Another, why is Munster wasting money on yet anther ordinary 10, a reference to Keatly I suppose. Funny that Tyler Blayendal seems to have built d'legend states over a 25mins period over 3 seasons.
I haven't been reading them but that would be just stupid. I have great hopes for Joey but don't expect him to do miracles, certainly not at 22.
Ian Keatley is on his day very good but it's the fact that he's a genuinely nice guy that's his greatest weakness, ROG and Johnny
aren't (particularly) nice people I suspect.
No reason was specified.

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some serious willy-waving on here of late. :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MUNSTER ARE SET to be boosted by the availability of All Black scrum-half Alby Mathewson for the start of their Champions Cup campaign, as the process to obtain the necessary documentation nears its conclusion.

Mathewson arrived at the southern province at the end of August after being signed on a short-term deal as injury cover for Conor Murray, but has been unable to play as he awaits a work permit.

But Munster are now hopeful of the paperwork coming through ‘within the next 24 hours’, meaning the Kiwi could come into contention for Saturday’s Guinness Pro14 inter-pro against Ulster at Thomond Park
No doubt that Leinster lovin LEO V up in de pale slowed it down as much as he could, helped in no small part by the D4/IRFU blazers!
Put that up on the wall Tom. :)
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

tomthefan wrote:Thanks mildly.
What your figures make stark is how beneficial it is to play almost every game at home.
Everyone knows this already of course, getting a home QF is almost a ticket to the semis. But when your semi in a neutral ground is actually in your home ground also? And then when the final is as well? I seem to remember Munster getting home country advantage against Leinster a couple of times and then playing the match in leinster's home stadium! You couldn't make it up. In fact Munster have never had a home semi final in the hc and yet have still managed to get to 4 finals. How many finals have Leinster gotten to playing away in the semis?
Anyway thanks again for going to all the trouble of looking this up my behalf, fascinating reading.
Well no, in our experience it's 50:50. We've won 2 HEC away SF and 2 at home. You were the home team vs Wasps in 2007 and was it also 2004? And you were the home team vs Leinster in 2009.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Ah yes but that defeat to Wasp's with the yellow cards flying around, was glorious. Pure unadulterated pusson and pride and d'glory. Leinster could never hope to be beaten like that. Sure the hole country was busting with d'pride . Da anglo Saxons were taught a lesson they'd never forget. Twas glorious. lidginds
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

oh, you got to love the Leinster lovin Leo V, and him delaying Munster work permits and all. The boyz in Dublin :wink:
drive for 5
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

blockhead wrote:
MUNSTER ARE SET to be boosted by the availability of All Black scrum-half Alby Mathewson for the start of their Champions Cup campaign, as the process to obtain the necessary documentation nears its conclusion.

Mathewson arrived at the southern province at the end of August after being signed on a short-term deal as injury cover for Conor Murray, but has been unable to play as he awaits a work permit.

But Munster are now hopeful of the paperwork coming through ‘within the next 24 hours’, meaning the Kiwi could come into contention for Saturday’s Guinness Pro14 inter-pro against Ulster at Thomond Park
No doubt that Leinster lovin LEO V up in de pale slowed it down as much as he could, helped in no small part by the D4/IRFU blazers!
Put that up on the wall Tom. :)
BlueBlue wrote:oh, you got to love the Leinster lovin Leo V, and him delaying Munster work permits and all. The boyz in Dublin :wink:
Well our esteemed Minister for Sport, Shane Ross is TD for Dublin Rathdown.
And where, I hear you ask, do Leinster have their training complex?
That's right, Dublin Rathdown.
No reason was specified.

tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

paddyor wrote:And you were the home team vs Leinster in 2009.
You're quite right, when we played Leinster in Dublin in 2009, Munster were the home team.
No reason was specified.

Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

tomthefan wrote:
You're quite right, when we played Leinster in Dublin in 2009, Munster were the home team.
The trolling is amusing but only to a point.

In 2009 more Munster players had played previously in Croke Park (by virtue of being Irish capped) than Leinster ever had. It was the one and only time either side played a rugby match there. The location of the game changed nothing. Say what you like about the venue it hadn't mattered a bit in Lansdowne in 2006, yet that semi-final in May 2009 marked a serious watershed and shift in the rugby centre of power in Ireland. Munster were odds-on favourites. They were the HEC holders. They had won two of the last three HECs. They were the then current Magners League Champions. Their pack was almost the first choice pack for Ireland. Very few pundits gave Leinster a chance. That shift in power has never transferred back since and no amount of trolling will change that.
Four Stars
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Lar wrote:
tomthefan wrote:
The trolling is amusing but only to a point.

In 2009 more Munster players had played previously in Croke Park (by virtue of being Irish capped) than Leinster ever had. It was the one and only time either side played a rugby match there. The location of the game changed nothing. Say what you like about the venue it hadn't mattered a bit in Lansdowne in 2006, yet that semi-final in May 2009 marked a serious watershed and shift in the rugby centre of power in Ireland. Munster were odds-on favourites. They were the HEC holders. They had won two of the last three HECs. They were the then current Magners League Champions. Their pack was almost the first choice pack for Ireland. Very few pundits gave Leinster a chance. That shift in power has never transferred back since and no amount of trolling will change that.
No, that was us.