The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote:They are some alternative facts alright. I’d argue some them are irrelevant, but there you go.

I honestly have no idea why yourself and JM have such an issue with this. It’s clearly a problem with Munster but you seem sore about it for some reason? You can only get so far with attrition alone, you need another option and a broader gameplan. I’d like to see Munster do well but they won’t beat one of the top three if they don’t improve this.

If you think they can beat Sarries and Metro by picking off pens and trying to maul them over then fair enough, but it hasn't worked for Munster in recent years has it?
Picking off pens against Metro worked for Leinster last year.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Laighin Break wrote:
wixfjord wrote:They are some alternative facts alright. I’d argue some them are irrelevant, but there you go.

I honestly have no idea why yourself and JM have such an issue with this. It’s clearly a problem with Munster but you seem sore about it for some reason? You can only get so far with attrition alone, you need another option and a broader gameplan. I’d like to see Munster do well but they won’t beat one of the top three if they don’t improve this.

If you think they can beat Sarries and Metro by picking off pens and trying to maul them over then fair enough, but it hasn't worked for Munster in recent years has it?
Leinster > Munster
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Laighin Break wrote:

It did, but it hasn't worked in Munster for recent years has it?

And if you remember how we eventually started to wear down Racing, it was through Ringrose/Sexton/Henshaw making breaks and stress testing their defence.

Despite the rain we still have another option and enough moves to throw at Racing, which I think proves the point. You need more than just forward dominance and big carriers at the highest level.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I think Munster will probably win vs Edinburgh, but... Edinburgh are now a very tricky side at full strength. Remember the league playoff in TP last season? Edinburgh could well have won that (maybe should have) but lacked the killer instinct or confidence to do it. They've improved from that this season. Should be a fascinating game anyway.
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighin Break wrote:

Don't mention the war- It's what we do.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

wixfjord wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:

It did, but it hasn't worked in Munster for recent years has it?

And if you remember how we eventually started to wear down Racing, it was through Ringrose/Sexton/Henshaw making breaks and stress testing their defence.

Despite the rain we still have another option and enough moves to throw at Racing, which I think proves the point. You need more than just forward dominance and big carriers at the highest level.
You're blustering, Wixfjord :lol:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't think I am Tom. I think it's fairly clear that Munster have struggled to break good teams down with their back line.

Even in wet weather, Leinster had enough guile and attacking structure to make inroads using their backs against Metro.

Once you come up against top sides a blunt knife won't work most of the time, you need a swiss army.

Leinster have that, Sarries and Racing do. Munster generally don't at the moment and need to develop it.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Best indicator at any time is form.
We've beaten Exeter and they and Saracens are well clear of the rest of the english league with Exeter in first place.
We've a record of W 1 L 1 against you guys this season with many feeling we were unlucky to lose the first match.
Our form is looking a match for both Leinster and Saracens at this time.
It's knock out rugby from now on in Europe. IIRC Toulon won ugly many a time, relying
on Wilkinson's boot
Injuries in the 6N are likely to be the most important factor come the QFs.
No reason was specified.

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tomthefan wrote:Best indicator at any time is form.
We've beaten Exeter and they and Saracens are well clear of the rest of the english league with Exeter in first place.
We've a record of W 1 L 1 against you guys this season with many feeling we were unlucky to lose the first match.
It's knock out rugby from now on in Europe. IIRC Toulon won ugly many a time, relying
on Wilkinson's boot
Form.
Played 13 Won 11, Lost 2, Seeded 3 in the HEC QF with 25 points.
Played 13, Won 9, Lost 4, Seeded 5 in the HEC QF with 21 points.

Getting your excuses in a bit early!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Oldschool wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Best indicator at any time is form.
on Wilkinson's boot
Form.
Played 13 Won 11, Lost 2, Seeded 3 in the HEC QF with 25 points.
Played 13, Won 9, Lost 4, Seeded 5 in the HEC QF with 21 points.

Getting your excuses in a bit early!
All that tells me is that toulouse apart your pool was uncompetitive in the extreme.
Your conclusion doesn't follow either.
No reason was specified.

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Keatley gone to London Irish for the rest of the season.
“I know I’m from Dublin, but I’ve lived here for the last eight years, and with my fiancée Lisa and daughter Beth born here, I know we will be back again. I’m from Munster and I’m a Limerick man now, and it holds a special place in my heart."
Obviously he's been brainwashed.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Keatley gone to London Irish for the rest of the season.
“I know I’m from Dublin, but I’ve lived here for the last eight years, and with my fiancée Lisa and daughter Beth born here, I know we will be back again. I’m from Munster and I’m a Limerick man now, and it holds a special place in my heart."
Nah Mexit
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote:Keatley gone to London Irish for the rest of the season.
I think he's a bit confused. Good move for him anyway as it seems unlikely he'd get much, if any, minutes for the rest of the season.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

This has no effect on him having signed for Treviso next season I take it.
Four Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Rumour penny dropping.
Munster snaffle one of our up and coming SHs (succession planning?).
Munster's sick note medical joker SH signed for a few months and then contract extended until the end of the season.
Makes you wonder about the state of play with their first choice SH. Is there a bigger problem than is being made public?
Or given the year that's in it, do we have a problem Houston
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Dave O'Callaghan rumoured to be off to Biarritz next season.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

sunshiner1 wrote:Dave O'Callaghan rumoured to be off to Biarritz next season.
f%~k me - are they still a thing?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:Rumour penny dropping.
Munster snaffle one of our up and coming SHs (succession planning?).
Munster's sick note medical joker SH signed for a few months and then contract extended until the end of the season.
Makes you wonder about the state of play with their first choice SH. Is there a bigger problem than is being made public?
Or given the year that's in it, do we have a problem Houston
If Murray had zero concerns and would play 100% of his alotted minutes, Munster would still have been all over extending Mathewson.

He wanted to stay and said he was fed up of moving clubs so much.

It's true to form for Munster, so McCarthy only has himself to blame. He landed Leinster in it and we've had to move to prepare to replace him. He still has a shot.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Doc wrote:
Very nice location to spend two years and ProD2 a serious league with decent players, Coaches and crowds. But it's a very tough season schedule. Bayonne will possibly go up this year and then Biarittz will have to get the finger out, without a large wedge behind them.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
The Doc wrote:
Very nice location to spend two years and ProD2 a serious league with decent players, Coaches and crowds. But it's a very tough season schedule. Bayonne will possibly go up this year and then Biarittz will have to get the finger out, without a large wedge behind them.
I know the location well. And I've been to their pre season training back when EOS was training them

It's just they have fallen a long way. Yeah they are in D2 but they are a long way from promotion... Not in terms of points but in terms of being a credible team to stay up

There was a time when there was talk of them merging (with Bayonne I think)... They don't have a large enough local population in the winter season.

Nice place though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you