The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by Oldschool »

Edinburgh IMHO are alight favorites for QF at the weekend which might suit Munster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

His chances are still better in Munster than if he remained in Leinster (with Luke McGrath and Gibson-Park who are both about 25/26 who might or not be involved with Ireland). With Gibson-Park becoming Ireland Qualified, his opportunities would have reduced as well as to whether he would make HC 23 teams.

Conor Murray will more than likely move after his present contract, so that would leave McCarthy in prime position to partner up with the next Ireland outhalf.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:Edinburgh IMHO are alight favorites for QF at the weekend which might suit Munster.

Bookies have Munster four points favourites.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Edinburgh IMHO are alight favorites for QF at the weekend which might suit Munster.

Bookies have Munster four points favourites.
Indeed if you factor in home advantage, bookies are seeing Munster as one try favs roughly.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

janeymac08 wrote:His chances are still better in Munster than if he remained in Leinster (with Luke McGrath and Gibson-Park who are both about 25/26 who might or not be involved with Ireland). With Gibson-Park becoming Ireland Qualified, his opportunities would have reduced as well as to whether he would make HC 23 teams.

Conor Murray will more than likely move after his present contract, so that would leave McCarthy in prime position to partner up with the next Ireland outhalf.

Not sure about Murray moving on, or that NMcC will get more game time in Shelbyville, but he is certainly moving to a more settled, stronger squad than he is leaving.

The re-build "Munster" project is approaching completion.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

deco wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:His chances are still better in Munster than if he remained in Leinster (with Luke McGrath and Gibson-Park who are both about 25/26 who might or not be involved with Ireland). With Gibson-Park becoming Ireland Qualified, his opportunities would have reduced as well as to whether he would make HC 23 teams.

Not sure about Murray moving on, or that NMcC will get more game time in Shelbyville, but he is certainly moving to a more settled, stronger squad than he is leaving.

The re-build "Munster" project is approaching completion.
Much as I wish you were correct on that last assertion (I'm sure I'm not alone) if Munster go out on Saturday then both my wish and your assertion will go out too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: Mathewson isn’t extending to be Nick McCarthy’s backup. He moved for a shot and he’s not due to get one.

If van Graan seriously wanted McCarthy he would not have wasted the chance to get McCarthy up to speed. Bringing in someone ahead of him so he doesn’t have to rely on him shows the esteem McCarthy is not held in.

Even if Mathewson doesn’t extend, McCarthy wears 21 in the big games and gets a load of Pro14 starts there’s still the issue that Munster paid good money so they didn’t have to build on McCarthy/Cronin during the best building window every 4 years.
Every contract has to be signed off by Nucifora [even academy contracts]. How this fits into 'for the good of Ireland' is beyond me. Munster are very likely going to have Bleyendaal and Hanrahan [who will be 29 and 27 respectively at the start of next season] at outhalf during the few Pro14 games during RWC19 - the league doesn't start until 27 Sep.

These lads are so far past the stage where they need nursing by a 34 year old NIE scrum-half that they actually should be the veterans guiding halfback partners like Craig Casey and Jack Stafford ... and that's before considering that Munster have Neil Cronin [26] and Nick McCarthy [24] on the books next season. Just can't see the logic behind another short term deal for Mathewson.
Last edited by hugonaut on March 27th, 2019, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:
ronk wrote: Mathewson isn’t extending to be Nick McCarthy’s backup. He moved for a shot and he’s not due to get one.

If van Graan seriously wanted McCarthy he would not have wasted the chance to get McCarthy up to speed. Bringing in someone ahead of him so he doesn’t have to rely on him shows the esteem McCarthy is not held in.

Even if Mathewson doesn’t extend, McCarthy wears 21 in the big games and gets a load of Pro14 starts there’s still the issue that Munster paid good money so they didn’t have to build on McCarthy/Cronin during the best building window every 4 years.
Every contract has to be signed off by Nucifora [even academy contracts]. How this fits into 'for the good of Ireland' is beyond me. Munster are very likely going to have Bleyendaal and Hanrahan [who will be 29 and 27 respectively at the start of next season] at outhalf during the few games Pro14 games during RWC19 - the league doesn't start until 27 Sep.

These lads are so far past the stage where they need nursing by a 34 year old NIE scrum-half that they actually should be the veterans guiding halfback partners like Craig Casey and Jack Stafford ... and that's before considering that Munster have Neil Cronin [26] and Nick McCarthy [24] on the books next season. Just can't see the logic behind another short term deal for Mathewson.
How this fits into 'for the good of Ireland' is beyond me
It dosen't Hugo. It fits into the "we haven't won a trophy for seven consecutive seasons". There are veterans in the franchise, there from youth, who have yet to be on the winners podium, skullin the champers (unless they are wearing green and surrounded by Leinster guys).
Come to think of it, if Munster do win anything anytime soon, there will be a lot of Leinster guys on that podium.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Surely the World Cup period would be the perfect time to get some of Cronin, McCarthy, Stafford and Casey involved? If you invest the gametime in a short-term signing, then the players who will actually be around at the business end of the season will be in a less good position.

I suppose Munster fans could argue that they don't actually have that many NIQs, but why sign McCarthy if they're not actually going to trust him?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote:Surely the World Cup period would be the perfect time to get some of Cronin, McCarthy, Stafford and Casey involved? If you invest the gametime in a short-term signing, then the players who will actually be around at the business end of the season will be in a less good position.

I suppose Munster fans could argue that they don't actually have that many NIQs, but why sign McCarthy if they're not actually going to trust him?

It's simple and logical, but a different way of thinking.

Does McCarthy improve the squad? Yes
Does Mathewson improve the squad? Yes
What about squad development? We just developed the squad
What about sustainable squad development? It's all part of our 3 point plan
1 sign Leinster players, South Africans and ex All Blacks
2 Win HC
3 Sign better Leinster players, more South Africans and more ex All Blacks with more caps.
4 IRFU "loan" if it goes wrong
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Joey's lovin' life in Munster, anyway, wha'?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is a key game in the Munster development pathway. Edinburgh have almost based their own development on the Munster pattern and Cockers has more experience that JvG in winning hard-fought, knock-out, games.

Nothing asked, nothing given, a real close encounter. Too close to call.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Haley out. Sweetman in. Conway to full-back

Don't think it weakens them too much to be honest!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

36 mns gone and Carburry off.

Cue the howls for Ross Byrne to move to Limerick as cover.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is an absolute belter of a game.

Embra are very well coached I must say, with a sprinkle of X Factor in there too.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Can't see Munster winning this now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Twist wrote:Can't see Munster winning this now
OK well I'm gonna back myself and say I still fancy Edinburgh!

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Edinburgh butchered that!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote:

You cursed it!

Munster very lucky towards the end of that phase of play. Could have been penalised for any one of high tackle, offside, and tackling the man off the ball.
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Twist wrote:

OK I see how this works now.......I've a good feeling about Ulster today lads!

That was really instructive. Only one decision went against Edinburgh all day - the reversed penalty. Great try from Munster but then Edinburgh completely lost heart for nearly ten minutes. They didn't wake up again until they got the ball on 78.30. I'd be furious if that was my team