The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by wixfjord »

Earls out for Munster seemingly. Him and Carbery missing is a huge blow to that backline.

Not sure a side of Murray, Tyler, Sweetnam, Scannell, Farrell, Conway, Hayley has enough to break down Sarries defence.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yikes, not sure they have enough firepower up front either (especially if Kleyn misses out or isn't fully fit) so really needed Earls and Carbery IMO.

I thought Murray looked a bit better recently but he's going to have to be back to his absolute best and run the show if they're to have a chance. Kilcoyne and Stander will need to be at their best as well and I just can't see that with CJ right now which will have a huge effect on everyone else if he just gets swallowed up every time.

My one hope for them is that the stuff with Billy might have had a negative effect on Sarries this week. Might sound fanciful but I could see that being a big deal tbh.

I think ourselves and Saracens will win though and that the final will be an absolute pig of a game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Earls confirmed out, but Kleyn in.

That is one hell of a Sarries side though. Pretty much full strength bar Figallo.

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Such a good balance to that Sarries side and no obvious weakness. Strong bench as well.

Aside from the Vunipola situation I do think that Farrell is an accident waiting to happen in terms of his high shots. I can see him getting his comeuppance in a big game at some stage...but those two unlikely issues are my only real hope for Munster. Expect them to be competitive tbf, but just don't think they'll have enough.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yikes, not sure they have enough firepower up front either (especially if Kleyn misses out or isn't fully fit) so really needed Earls and Carbery IMO.

I thought Murray looked a bit better recently but he's going to have to be back to his absolute best and run the show if they're to have a chance. Kilcoyne and Stander will need to be at their best as well and I just can't see that with CJ right now which will have a huge effect on everyone else if he just gets swallowed up every time.

My one hope for them is that the stuff with Billy might have had a negative effect on Sarries this week. Might sound fanciful but I could see that being a big deal tbh.

I think ourselves and Saracens will win though and that the final will be an absolute pig of a game.
Would that be good? I don't know young people talk :D
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Depends who wins... :wink:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Such a good balance to that Sarries side and no obvious weakness. Strong bench as well.

Aside from the Vunipola situation I do think that Farrell is an accident waiting to happen in terms of his high shots. I can see him getting his comeuppance in a big game at some stage...but those two unlikely issues are my only real hope for Munster. Expect them to be competitive tbf, but just don't think they'll have enough.
I'd be surprised if the Vunipola thing doesn't feed into Sarries "no one likes us. We don't care." mentality.

As for Farrell: I keep on waiting and he keeps on getting away with high shots that would be a red for anyone else. It's a mystery, but there it is. Fierce dirty player. Absolutely no reason for him to change. And the coaches are all happy wihh it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Vunipola thing doesn't feed into Sarries "no one likes us. We don't care." mentality.
Very possibly, but he's been warned by the club, so it's not like it's just outside forces are involved.

And given that several players have spoken about it, I'd be surprised if nobody in the dressing room had voiced their disapproval of what he said. I can't imagine that there's anybody in the Sarries squad who doesn't know someone who's gay (and as BOD said, that's the big issue regardless of what else he said) so there could well have been a backlash to him. I'd hope so anyway, would be very disappointed if they circled the wagons as a result of it all.

That doesn't mean it derails them for this game and it could well have all been sorted by Monday morning, but I would be surprised if there was NO tension because of it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I find it hard to see how the Munster pack will get the better of the Sarries 8. Equally, I believe that the Sarries back three are the only element of the Sarries backline which are superior to Munster's backs.

However, if Munster can get good quality set-piece ball and don't give sloppy possession to the Sarries back-three, they can stay in the game for a long while and Sarries are unused to such pressure in the final quarter.

Haley needs to play at the top of his game as Farrell will definitely target him. Jack O'Donoghue needs to replicate his best rugby against a hugely physical opposution. Munster must make their first-up tackles from 1 to 15. If they can do this, they can worry Sarries. If they can do that, they can beat Sarries.

But, anything less that their best, will prove very expensive.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

never mind vinupola and his views...I am hoping the internationals playing for munster will be well up for this after what happened in the aviva against england in the 6N.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Equally, I believe that the Sarries back three are the only element of the Sarries backline which are superior to Munster's backs.
Hmm, you don't think Farrell and Barritt are better than Tyler and Scannell?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Some amount of empty seats!!

Did Munster fans give up attending matches for Lent?

Too early for communions so must be Lent.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

IanD wrote:Some amount of empty seats!!

There are almost double the amount of Munster fans there than there are Sarries fans seemingly, so I think it's more of a Sarries issue.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: Equally, I believe that the Sarries back three are the only element of the Sarries backline which are superior to Munster's backs.
Hmm, you don't think Farrell and Barritt are better than Tyler and Scannell?
Not sure why you'd break it up like that, he obviously meant halfbacks and centres.

This is brutal stuff. Saracens making some really stupid errors, Maro not looking the brightest.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Saracens definitely look rattled to me and have been poor by their standards, and yet they still lead. Get the feeling that Munster are clinging on a little bit and could really do with a better bench to give them a boost.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

wixfjord wrote:

There are almost double the amount of Munster fans there than there are Sarries fans seemingly, so I think it's more of a Sarries issue.
For years I have read/heard how great Munster fans are and how great their affinity for European matches is. Another great thread in the press is how there is a scramble for tickets and the lengths fans go to travel.

Today tickets are obviously not an issue and the stadium is at a guess roughly 30% empty and not that hard to get to.

Maybe it's because it's not in France
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

IanD wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

For years I have read/heard how great Munster fans are and how great their affinity for European matches is. Another great thread in the press is how there is a scramble for tickets and the lengths fans go to travel.

Today tickets are obviously not an issue and the stadium is at a guess roughly 30% empty and not that hard to get to.

Maybe it's because it's not in France
Ah that's a bit ridiculous. I'm all for taking Munster fans down a peg, but there are 8-9k there today. The issue is that Sarries fans haven't travelled, which is why the stadium is so empty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sarries completely in control.

Yet again Munster haven't fired a shot.

When a side matches them in intensity and in the pack (and in fairness there aren't many that can), there's very little going on behind that bar Chris Farrell running hard and straight.

Beirne has been anonymous so far.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Perfectly good steal by Beirne. Garces is just a shite referee, maddeningly inconsistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Get the feeling that Munster never believed they could win this.