The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
just because you are born in a stable does not make you a horse
You really put the boot in there OSS.

It really p!sses me off that Munster are poaching and being allowed to poach Leinster players at an increasing rate, but what can we do?
But for Munster, what does the future hold? Do Munster fans really not care that their team has become a collection of saffers and Leinster boys? The non-Munster contingent in the squad is now at 20 and is likely to increase in the near future.
A 42 man squad was announced for the AIs a few days back, 7 Munstermen in the 42, seven.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
just because you are born in a stable does not make you a horse
You really put the boot in there OSS.

It really p!sses me off that Munster are poaching and being allowed to poach Leinster players at an increasing rate, but what can we do?
But for Munster, what does the future hold? Do Munster fans really not care that their team has become a collection of saffers and Leinster boys? The non-Munster contingent in the squad is now at 20 and is likely to increase in the near future.
A 42 man squad was announced for the AIs a few days back, 7 Munstermen in the 42, seven.

Of course we care but the damage was done 10 years ago. Back then I was talking about a clear trend of Munster players retiring and noone coming through to replace them. All we're seeing now is the result of that neglect in bringing players through.

There is a lot of talent around the academy now with plenty of young players around. Goggin, Shane Daly, Coombes, Liam O'Connor, Neil Cronin, Wycherley, Sean O'Connor, Tom Ahern, Calvin Nash, Sean French, James French (who is like a young Cian Healy) and more who will be pro14 standard minimum. That's the way it should be all the time.

I think your treating players like some kind of video game characters. Leinster don't own the players and believe it or not, many want to leave. Carbery was 3rd choice 10 behind Byrne. He got what, 2 start there last season? Crazy.

McCarthy is getting a few minutes here and there and firmly behind Gibson Park and McGrath. Those 2 are not Much older than him so what is he to do, hang around the reserves all his career? That would be fine for Leinster but not the player.

I said it before that the trend is clear. Let's look at this logically. Leinster academy are overproducing for what they need. First the Leinster squad starts to turn more youthful and home grown. Secondly, it starts to grow bigger with more depth of talent. Thirdly, as there's more competition for places, more players will want to leave. That's just the natural order of things.

The ABs lose loads of quality players per year. James Lowe decided he didn't want to hang around so Leinster benefited. Maybe there's some kiwis complaining about Leinster poaching. :shock:

Looking at the Munster squad, the current former Leinster players are Carbery, Beirne, Keatley, Conway, Loughman, Hart, Oliver. There'll be less by the end of the season. I think the non Munster percentage has peaked now and will start to go down in the coming years. It currently stands at 19 which IS very high but I've explained the reason for that.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Both Tommy Bowe's parents are from Leinster I'm fairly sure.

Other than that. It's a pro game, and players are fair game. I'd prefer them in Munster personally than Bristol. But if the player prefers Bristol..... It's a pro game.

Yes there are kiwis complaining about James Lowe. I understand that too. But guess what..... It's a pro game.

Do people who work for Deloite resent their colleagues who moved to pwc for more money/Better conditions? Probably for a few days but..... Yep. It's a pro game.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

johng wrote:Both Tommy Bowe's parents are from Leinster I'm fairly sure.

Other than that. It's a pro game, and players are fair game. I'd prefer them in Munster personally than Bristol. But if the player prefers Bristol..... It's a pro game.

Yes there are kiwis complaining about James Lowe. I understand that too. But guess what..... It's a pro game.

Do people who work for Deloite resent their colleagues who moved to pwc for more money/Better conditions? Probably for a few days but..... Yep. It's a pro game.

Tommy Bowe’s father Paul won a Schools Cup medal with Newbridge College in the Second Row and went on to play for UCD
But he was a boarder in the school and is originally from Waterford and his mother is from Kildare

So he is about as provincially mixed up as possible

Pretty good player though at his best
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

Yes it is a pro game. And pro sports contracts are different. You dont get to just hand in your notice and leave. You either wait for the contract to expire, or the new employer compensates the existing employer. And that is sacrosanct to pro sports and you all know that. Otherwise the Toulons, Saracens and Racings of this world would be a lot busier over here.

Comparing to Deloitte is just lazy.

Lowe was out of contract.

The issue here which people repeatedly refuse to grasp, is that Carbery was under contract and was approached by another province. They lost a player with no compensation and no repercussion to Munster for their shameful behaviour.

People at the time were concerned about precedent and Cullens comments confirm now what we worried about then. And Munster have shown themselves to have no ethics, especially when it comes to matters Leinster.

Personally I wish Nick McCarthy all the best. He isnt good enough and is entitled to try elsewhere next season because, you guessed it, he was out of contract.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

EarthGorilla wrote:

Yes it is a pro game. And pro sports contracts are different. You dont get to just hand in your notice and leave. You either wait for the contract to expire, or the new employer compensates the existing employer. And that is sacrosanct to pro sports and you all know that. Otherwise the Toulons, Saracens and Racings of this world would be a lot busier over here.

Comparing to Deloitte is just lazy.

Lowe was out of contract.

The issue here which people repeatedly refuse to grasp, is that Carbery was under contract and was approached by another province. They lost a player with no compensation and no repercussion to Munster for their shameful behaviour.

People at the time were concerned about precedent and Cullens comments confirm now what we worried about then. And Munster have shown themselves to have no ethics, especially when it comes to matters Leinster.

Personally I wish Nick McCarthy all the best. He isnt good enough and is entitled to try elsewhere next season because, you guessed it, he was out of contract.

Can you not get over the fact that Joey was one of 3 out halves in Leinster

It seems that Leo and Lancaster rated Ross Byrne as their outhalf when Jonny was not available
They chose to play Joey primarily at full back and as utility cover when on the bench

It is also clear thatJoe favors Joey over Ross Byrne

This adds up to Nucifoea being correct in getting Joey to move elsewhere in the Irish system a decision which definitely weakens the Leinster squad and which I as a Leinster fan don’t like very much
But for the World Cup we need Jonnys understudy to be playing regularly at a High level at 10

Munster poaching out of our academy is quite different to the Joey situation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Schmidt told Joey he had to leave and he did. To maintain the illusion of choice they let him pick either Ulster or Munster. Ulster was the more obvious choice but he went for Munster. When the guy picking the team tells you what to do to get picked you listen.
Right about now uncle Joe will be quite happy with how he went about his business. The other five outhalves in Munster might be a bit less so.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:Schmidt told Joey he had to leave and he did. To maintain the illusion of choice they let him pick either Ulster or Munster. Ulster was the more obvious choice but he went for Munster. When the guy picking the team tells you what to do to get picked you listen.
Right about now uncle Joe will be quite happy with how he went about his business. The other five outhalves in Munster might be a bit less so.
Joe didn't know anything about it. I've never gone for a coffee and been asked to move to Munster so I have no reason to think that Joey would have been.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

EarthG he was moved from one province to another. The difference between Toulon, racing et al, is that they are the company. The provinces are departments. And to continue Johng's analogy i work in a multi division contracting company and yes, there is resentment when an electrician or engineer moves to the Audio Visual dept.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Schmidt told Joey he had to leave and he did. To maintain the illusion of choice they let him pick either Ulster or Munster. Ulster was the more obvious choice but he went for Munster. When the guy picking the team tells you what to do to get picked you listen.
Joe didn't know anything about it. I've never gone for a coffee and been asked to move to Munster so I have no reason to think that Joey would have been.
:lol:
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

deco wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
:lol:

I got plenty of Inmails asking me to move there though.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Really enjoying the Glasgow game. Lots of niggle. Earls is in great form.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

There really is little danger kicking long to Munster. They'll run it back a bit and then kick thru.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

A couple of lovely scores from Glasgow there.....
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Can't have any arguments with that YC, though I'm sure they will.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

paddyor wrote:Can't have any arguments with that YC, though I'm sure they will.
POM completely losing his sh!t. I’ve sent out for more popcorn.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Munster scrum under a lot of pressure. Haven't noticed how POM is binding.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

paddyor wrote:Munster scrum under a lot of pressure. Haven't noticed how POM is binding.
They showed Stander completely unbound at an earlier scrum. POM looks like he’s legal this week.

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Good game. Glasgow really sh!t the bed there IMO. Went negative trying to run the clock down too early.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Well, Munster can never complain about a ref again!! Some right clangers.
Dont Panic!