The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Is that story getting more space than Zebre's first-half assault on the Munster defence last night. As good a backs attacking coaching execution as Thomond Park has seen all Season
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Is that story getting more space than Zebre's first-half assault on the Munster defence last night. As good a backs attacking coaching execution as Thomond Park has seen all Season

And coached by a Munster man! Wouldn't mind Bradley back as attack coach.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Saw the game. Entertaining. Gotta say Loughman's move to Munster has really worked out for him. Fair play to the lad.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Joey Carbury has signed a 2 year contract extension with Munster til June 2022

Alby Mattewson will remain at munster til the end of November

Edit - End of November 2019, post world cup.
Last edited by Dave Cahill on March 26th, 2019, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If I were Nick McCarthy I'd be questioning my choice...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They really put the joke into injury joker
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Last guy got nearly 3 seasons
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Never in doubt really.

By the time Mattewson actually leaves (in 2 years?) Nick McCarthy will be 26 and deemed to be not of the required standard, I guess they can see who develops better between HOS and Patterson and take their pick closer to the time.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

wixfjord wrote:If I were Nick McCarthy I'd be questioning my choice...
Why? Mattewson will only be there as world cup cover for Murray. Matewson's family is back down under, so he should be back for start of super rugby season.
So far, James Hart and Duncan Williams are out of contract.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

janeymac08 wrote:
Why? Mattewson will only be there as world cup cover for Murray..
Considering he was only supposed to be here until the end of December last year, then until the end of this week, then til the end of this season - you'll understand why people think that.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not usually one to care about Munster signing players but that's a joke. Not sure how many games that extension covers but surely the IRFU should want McCarthy getting those games? There are other options too of course, ridiculous decision.

Happy to see that Joey has signed on, would have been slightly worried that he'd move abroad.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Happy to see that Joey has signed on, would have been slightly worried that he'd move abroad.
Never would have thought that myself, of course I never thought about it to think about it, if you see what I mean?
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

janeymac08 wrote:
Why? Mattewson will only be there as world cup cover for Murray. Matewson's family is back down under, so he should be back for start of super rugby season.
A few reasons. Firstly it limits McCarthy's game time at a time of year when he should've been getting a lot of it. I'd imagine he wasn't aware Mathewson would be staying at the time he signed. And of course there's no guarantee Mathewson will move on in November either, considering he has had his contract extended twice now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Weird one for Mathewson too, you'd imagine he could get a longer contract elsewhere...so you'd wonder why he'd choose this one...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Weird one for Mathewson too, you'd imagine he could get a longer contract elsewhere...so you'd wonder why he'd choose this one...
In reality though it's a 6 month extension. He gets to stay for a proper pre-season and can either stay in Munster or return to the SH for Super Rugby after.
He'll be almost 34 by the time it finishes so might be looking at it being his last shot at playing at this level too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think you missed my point, I was hinting that he knows he'll be able to stay longer. Not sure why the point about a 6 month extension is relevant, can't imagine he'd struggle to get a contract that takes him up to the summer.

Call me cynical, but would anyone be shocked if Conor Murray, totally unexpectedly, had to undergo surgery to clear up the injury that has clearly been holding him back once he made it through the World Cup? And then Munster would, totally unexpectedly, be able to offer a further extension to a guy who happens to be there already.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think you missed my point, I was hinting that he knows he'll be able to stay longer. Not sure why the point about a 6 month extension is relevant, can't imagine he'd struggle to get a contract that takes him up to the summer.

Call me cynical, but would anyone be shocked if Conor Murray, totally unexpectedly, had to undergo surgery to clear up the injury that has clearly been holding him back once he made it through the World Cup? And then Munster would, totally unexpectedly, be able to offer a further extension to a guy who happens to be there already.
Murray needs that operation and if that means he misses the RWC then so be it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Never would have thought that myself, of course I never thought about it to think about it, if you see what I mean?
He flaked out. He’s the Great Red Hope. A few well placed rumours and a bit of panic could have landed him a nice central contract.

He might have been afraid Munster fans would turn on him but that shows his immaturity.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:
A few reasons. Firstly it limits McCarthy's game time at a time of year when he should've been getting a lot of it. I'd imagine he wasn't aware Mathewson would be staying at the time he signed. And of course there's no guarantee Mathewson will move on in November either, considering he has had his contract extended twice now.
Mathewson isn’t extending to be Nick McCarthy’s backup. He moved for a shot and he’s not due to get one.

If van Graan seriously wanted McCarthy he would not have wasted the chance to get McCarthy up to speed. Bringing in someone ahead of him so he doesn’t have to rely on him shows the esteem McCarthy is not held in.

If Leinster signed a relatively young player in a position it might be exciting. If we then signed a short term journeyman to ensure we didn’t need to rely on him in the Pro14 during a RWC window: I’d know to set my expectations very (very) low.

Even if Mathewson doesn’t extend, McCarthy wears 21 in the big games and gets a load of Pro14 starts there’s still the issue that Munster paid good money so they didn’t have to build on McCarthy/Cronin during the best building window every 4 years.