The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

EarthGorilla
Beginner

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by EarthGorilla »

tomthefan wrote:Hmmm, the continual slagging off of Munster seems to have quietened down since Sunday.
Plucky performance by Leinster btw, ye were unlucky not to win really.
Almost as plucky as your lot in the Aviva vs our reserves 2 weeks ago. Let's see at the end of the season. Let's not forget, we are reigning European and Pro 14 Champions, and you are without a trophy in almost 8 years.

The slagging will stop when the likes of Johnston are given chances instead of your suits making overtures at more of our players. Until then, the Munster that exists now will rightly be continually ridiculed, regardless of one off results.

Stand Up And Fight.... For Leinster Academy Players. I guess if you can't beat them, poach them.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

EarthGorilla wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Hmmm, the continual slagging off of Munster seems to have quietened down since Sunday.
Plucky performance by Leinster btw, ye were unlucky not to win really.
Almost as plucky as your lot in the Aviva vs our reserves 2 weeks ago. Let's see at the end of the season. Let's not forget, we are reigning European and Pro 14 Champions, and you are without a trophy in almost 8 years.

The slagging will stop when the likes of Johnston are given chances instead of your suits making overtures at more of our players. Until then, the Munster that exists now will rightly be continually ridiculed, regardless of one off results.

Stand Up And Fight.... For Leinster Academy Players. I guess if you can't beat them, poach them.
Looks like Sunday's result's left you very cranky, EG
These things happen you know?
It doesn't help I suppose that it's a long time since Toulouse won a trophy, maybe even longer than Munster. :P
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

Not really. We won't panic and abandon our whole identity to try to keep up. Which ironically is what Toulouse have done. Imagine that.

We'll bounce back. First Euro loss since April 2017, nothing to worry about for now. I have full faith in this group.

All about perspective.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Toulouse won their 4th star in 2010, and then back to back top 14s in 11 and 12. So look.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Here is a bit of fodder. You seem to be struggling for whinge material.

“They came back and, this was three Leinster people, so they’d no connection with Munster, they said, ‘I don’t think you realise what you have here at Munster and I don’t think you shout loud enough. You’re hiding your light under a bushel.

“‘Yes, you have your aims. You know exactly what you’re trying to do but you’re not telling everyone and you really need to be more expressive around it’.”
:)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 77009.html
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Good luck with this as long overdue. Further proves that they’ve been going through the motions for years as we suspected - time to change those at the top
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

The best and least self aware line from that comedy article is this:

"Our ownership model is different, we’re run by the clubs of Munster. We are a product of the clubs, all the volunteers, all the work they do every Saturday, Sunday, that’s what feeds into Munster and it’s trying to make the most of that and have a more inclusive model, integrating within our communities that bit more.”
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Fair play to them. You gotta have a plan, but "We Rise By Lifting Each Other" at the moment should read "We Rise By Lifting players from others" :wink:
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

EarthGorilla wrote:The best and least self aware line from that comedy article is this:

"Our ownership model is different, we’re run by the clubs of Munster. We are a product of the clubs, all the volunteers, all the work they do every Saturday, Sunday, that’s what feeds into Munster and it’s trying to make the most of that and have a more inclusive model, integrating within our communities that bit more.”
Its factual though, in the same way that Leinster is a product of the Leinster Schools, Munster is a product of its clubs. Leinster have a great thing going on with the schools, Munster need to get to the same situation with the clubs.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

olaf the fat wrote:Fair play to them. You gotta have a plan, but "We Rise By Lifting Each Other" at the moment should read "We Rise By Lifting players from others" :wink:
I just don't understand why anyone would think this way. Do you really have a problem with lads who see a better career elsewhere moving there? Take Andrew Conway, what the hell is wrong with him playing for Munster, or indeed Sean Cronin playing for Leinster. Would you prefer if they spent most their career playing AIL in their own Province.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't think anyone has a problem with players who are out of contract or told they are surplus to requirements finding a new club. I personally don't even have a problem with players who want to move on because they don't have a clear pathway being allowed to move on.
I have Bumbleflex
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

janeymac08 wrote:
EarthGorilla wrote:The best and least self aware line from that comedy article is this:

Its factual though, in the same way that Leinster is a product of the Leinster Schools, Munster is a product of its clubs. Leinster have a great thing going on with the schools, Munster need to get to the same situation with the clubs.
It is factual in words and premise only. The reality is that they have transitioned to South Africa, trying to lure promising Leinster players, medical jokers and NIQ exceptions and trying to poach our academy guys, in significant more abundance than any of this nonsense about their clubs.

They won't get that thing going ever if they keep looking at promising and talented guys like Bill Johnston and thinking "we'll just take a better player from Leinster instead".

janeymac08 wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Fair play to them. You gotta have a plan, but "We Rise By Lifting Each Other" at the moment should read "We Rise By Lifting players from others" :wink:
I just don't understand why anyone would think this way. Do you really have a problem with lads who see a better career elsewhere moving there? Take Andrew Conway, what the hell is wrong with him playing for Munster, or indeed Sean Cronin playing for Leinster. Would you prefer if they spent most their career playing AIL in their own Province.

Andrew Conway is an awful one for you to use. His last 2 games for Leinster were the Challenge Cup Final and the Pro 12 Final. Hardly AIL.

Cronin is another poor example. He played a grand total of 2 career games for Munster, and went to Connacht to get opportunities and then wound up with us. Exact same route as Tadgh Beirne or Robin Copeland. Nobody is complaining about them.

There is no replica of the Carbery situation for you to try to use in reverse to justify. The go to manual has been the previous for Conway, who was out of contract, but not starved of opportunity, the aforementioned Cronin / Beirne parallel. The other one is perceived precedent with Stephen Keogh and Trevor Hogan. But Munster got Niall Ronan and another whose name currently eludes me so it was not a one sided deal.

The issue here, is that Munster approached a contracted Leinster player without consequence and what we are seeing and hearing now is that the Carbery move has emboldened them to continue down this path. I fully expect them to make representations for one of Deegan or Doris. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried for Jack McGrath and Andrew Porter. You know, for the benefit of the national team. Until this cr@p is nipped in the bud by the IRFU, which it won't, then Leinster fans will continue to see Munster as a joke and be vocally angry about it.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A denial should be, eh, reassuring
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I don't think anyone has a problem with players who are out of contract or told they are surplus to requirements finding a new club. I personally don't even have a problem with players who want to move on because they don't have a clear pathway being allowed to move on.
I'm glad you don't have an issue with it, but that is not the impression I get from reading these pages.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's a professional sport and people will move around to further their careers just like any profession. People just think it's ironic that the whole "playing for your parish" thing that Munster hung their hat on for so long has disappeared so quickly.

It's inevitable in a pro sport. Hopefully we will all eventually get over it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The IRFU and Munster Rugby are delighted to confirm that Keith Earls has signed an IRFU contract extension which will see him continue his career at Munster up to at least the end of June 2021.
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

johng wrote:It's a professional sport and people will move around to further their careers just like any profession. People just think it's ironic that the whole "playing for your parish" thing that Munster hung their hat on for so long has disappeared so quickly.

I agree but to say that Munster is built on the volunteers from the clubs and so on and then comprise your marquee team of very few players from said clubs is troubling.

By the way am I imagining it or did the just cut Erasmus from that denial and paste in JvG?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

johng wrote:It's a professional sport and people will move around to further their careers just like any profession. People just think it's ironic that the whole "playing for your parish" thing that Munster hung their hat on for so long has disappeared so quickly.

Agree, except in normal circumstances, compensation is received when a contracted player leaves.

I get the IRFU assets argument (though JC wasnt and isnt centrally contracted), but Leinster lose an awful lot with this rigmarole and gain nothing.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Conway got a really bad steer when he was tapped up mid contract. He held his career back by years transferring to Munster where he was behind higher profile players. Their back three at the time included Earls, Zebo, and Howlett.

So there is that.