The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by deco »

janeymac08 wrote: a few of you who post on this site who continually bang on about where people are born and if they are not born in Ireland/Munster, they are somehow inferior to the homegrown players, supporters etc.
Au contraire. The non-Munster born players are vastly superior to their Munster born peers. I'm not saying that you're thick, but just in case you are - I'm referring solely to their rugby playing skills.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

janeymac08 wrote:
FLIP wrote:So the supporters who have history with trans-phobic nicknames for their opposition are trying to claim xenophobia?

You've got as much chance with that one as you've had with winning anything in the last 10 years
I don't know what you are referring to with nickname remark, but I think there are a few of you who post on this site who continually bang on about where people are born and if they are not born in Ireland/Munster, they are somehow inferior to the homegrown players, supporters etc.
who cares where a player is born, it's about homegrown player development and munster's lack of it.

Relying on Saffers and Leinstermen to keep them competitive.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

deco wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: a few of you who post on this site who continually bang on about where people are born and if they are not born in Ireland/Munster, they are somehow inferior to the homegrown players, supporters etc.
Au contraire. The non-Munster born players are vastly superior to their Munster born peers. I'm not saying that you're thick, but just in case you are - I'm referring solely to their rugby playing skills.
So, why are you slagging off a German who supports Munster. You see it as some sort of weird blot on Munster's copybook that it acknowledges its non-Munster born supporters and that it is some sort of a plot to steal German players ... or something.

Munster is producing plenty of homegrown players - in fact it probably over achieved (bearing in mind population, schools etc) and Leinster have seriously underachieved up until recently. Just think - half the population in Ireland is in Leinster and there are still only about 3 players who haven't come through the Private School system. How well would Leinster do if it has only four (fairly small) private schools to choose from when a school like Blackrock probably has the same number of pupils as the combined private schools in Munster.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

janeymac08 wrote:
deco wrote:
So, why are you slagging off a German who supports Munster. You see it as some sort of weird blot on Munster's copybook that it acknowledges its non-Munster born supporters and that it is some sort of a plot to steal German players ... or something.

Munster is producing plenty of homegrown players - in fact it probably over achieved (bearing in mind population, schools etc) and Leinster have seriously underachieved up until recently. Just think - half the population in Ireland is in Leinster and there are still only about 3 players who haven't come through the Private School system. How well would Leinster do if it has only four (fairly small) private schools to choose from when a school like Blackrock probably has the same number of pupils as the combined private schools in Munster.
Not quite. Both Cork schools are huge. Not quite Blackrock 1000 or so pupils but still Pres/Christians would each have 700 or so pupils
Only other fee paying rugby schools are rockwell which is mixed so 350 or so lads and Glenstal 250.

Munster is and isnt over achieving. Because there isnt the fee paying schools there should be more work with clubs and analyse of club players beyond those in the munster u18 clubs/u19s set ups but the analysis/assessment of players in Munster u16/18s clubs competitions isnt as good as it should be
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

As I have stated before there is a big problem in Munster as the whole system of identifying potential players for the future is skewed heavily towards the schools ignoring large areas where the schools do not hold sway. There have been some notable exceptions who have come through from the club system but these are the exceptions rather than the rule and some players are classed as "products" of the schools system even though they played club rugby until under 16 in some cases. Population does play a part but if our administrators in Munster took a more practical long term view we might lessen our need for imports although we will always welcome some strays who can play rugby :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Plenty 1st team players in the Munster team - this could be messy. Edinburgh have basically picked our C team given international players unavailable and the 4.5 day turnaround from the last game.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Ciaran Parker, Fineen Wycherley, Gavin Coombes, Duncan Williams, Tyler Bleyendaal, Sammy Arnold.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dick Cocky Looking like losing 2 in a row.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I will never get my head around JJ being picked at ten all the time.

Someone mentioned this on a podcast during the week but I was thinking the same thing, I'd love to know why Conway doesn't play at 15 more. I know Munster have Haley so it makes sense for Conway to be on the wing since he arrived, but would have thought Joe would love him as a solid option at the back and it just doesn't seem to be an option. I can remember him looking shaky at fullback when he wasn't long out of school but would would have thought that he has looked really solid for a while now.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RAILWAY1 wrote:As I have stated before there is a big problem in Munster as the whole system of identifying potential players for the future is skewed heavily towards the schools ignoring large areas where the schools do not hold sway. There have been some notable exceptions who have come through from the club system but these are the exceptions rather than the rule and some players are classed as "products" of the schools system even though they played club rugby until under 16 in some cases. Population does play a part but if our administrators in Munster took a more practical long term view we might lessen our need for imports although we will always welcome some strays who can play rugby :D
That would be better than having to rustle them. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I will never get my head around JJ being picked at ten all the time.

Someone mentioned this on a podcast during the week but I was thinking the same thing, I'd love to know why Conway doesn't play at 15 more. I know Munster have Haley so it makes sense for Conway to be on the wing since he arrived, but would have thought Joe would love him as a solid option at the back and it just doesn't seem to be an option. I can remember him looking shaky at fullback when he wasn't long out of school but would would have thought that he has looked really solid for a while now.
15 was his position for the U20s wasn't it?
A big part of his game seems to be chasing kicks on the wing, and he's pretty good at it.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Shirley Conway should be looking to move province now to ensure he gets game time at his preferred position? I couldnt imagine anyone in Munster standing in his way as he look to improve.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Chris Farrell.
MOTM against Wales in the 6N (his big breakthrough) and then gets the most untimely injury in training a few days later. Rotten luck.
But he's back now with a try. Good man Chris. :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Logorrhea wrote:Shirley Conway should be looking to move province now to ensure he gets game time at his preferred position? I couldnt imagine anyone in Munster standing in his way as he look to improve.
:) :) :)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm 12 player contract extensions for the province.

John Ryan has signed a three-year deal that will see him remain with Munster Rugby until at least June 2022.

Brothers Niall and Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam, Jack O’Donoghue, JJ Hanrahan, Alex Wootton, Rhys Marshall and young guns Fineen Wycherley and Calvin Nash have all signed on for a further two years, committing to the province until at least June 2021.

Arno Botha and Jeremy Loughman have signed one-year extensions and will remain with the province until June 2020.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Keatley, Bleyendaal, Williams, Hart, DOC, Taute, Mathewson, Ronan O'Mahony, Fitzgerald, Parker, Sherry have not signed yet. I think most of those won't be around next season.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:Keatley, Bleyendaal, Williams, Hart, DOC, Taute, Mathewson, Ronan O'Mahony, Fitzgerald, Parker, Sherry have not signed yet. I think they could all be leaving.
Matherwson will be kept until after the RWC. It's a bad look for the franchise to drop Williams for him so expect them to slow roll that.

Taute, Hart, Keatley and Sherry looks surplus to requirements so would be fairly certain they'll go. Don't know enough about ROM/Fitzgerald and Parker. Tough on DOC that they're keeping Botha. Bleyendall is an interesting one, he could be picked up by one of the other privinces.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

dropkick wrote:

Keatley, Bleyendaal, Williams, Hart, DOC, Taute, Mathewson, Ronan O'Mahony, Fitzgerald, Parker, Sherry have not signed yet. I think they could all be leaving.
Supposedly they are still negotiating with some players so we might see some of that group signed. Hart is definitely going, Taute probably too. Personally I think DOC is going as well, it was 50/50 they were going to keep him last time and he's hardly kicked on since. I would be surprised if Bleyendaal left.

edit: Williams contract is not up until 2019 apparently
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster team
Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander. Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Ciaran Parker, Fineen Wycherley, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold

12 of the 23 not from Munster, 5 Leinster lads.
But hey! It's not where your from, it's where you belong. :D
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Munster team
Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander. Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Ciaran Parker, Fineen Wycherley, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold

Irish by birth Munster by the Grace of God.
Trades description act anyone?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
blockhead wrote:Munster team

Irish by birth Munster by the Grace of God.
Trades description act anyone?
That's been quietly dropped, and you're not supposed to mention it anymore.