5th Province

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: 5th Province

Postby wixfjord » December 31st, 2018, 11:50 am

Dave Cahill wrote: It isn't to bring Cork fans to Limerick, its to make it easier for Limerick fans to get to Cork to fill Indo Park


Is it?! Based on what Dave?

Isn't Musgrave full for pretty much every game despite them playing only playing the minnows there?

Which is the exact opposite to Thomond.

Unless they're going to expand the capacity in Cork there's a far bigger need to get Cork fans to Limerick.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4496
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby Dave Cahill » December 31st, 2018, 1:18 pm

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: It isn't to bring Cork fans to Limerick, its to make it easier for Limerick fans to get to Cork to fill Indo Park


Is it?! Based on what Dave?

Isn't Musgrave full for pretty much every game despite them playing only playing the minnows there?

Which is the exact opposite to Thomond.

Unless they're going to expand the capacity in Cork there's a far bigger need to get Cork fans to Limerick.


Just what I've been told by people within the MRSC. And historically there are more combined Season Tickets sold in Limerick than there are in Cork

It is full, but remember that a full IIP is less than a third of the capacity of TP. Its also not accurate to say they only play the minnows there, this season they've had (and sold out) Edinburgh and Ospreys (and will have the Kings and the Blues) , last season they had Ospreys and Warriors (along with proper minnows Dragons and Benetton - all of which, save the Benetton game sold out). In comparison, TP last season got over 13k for the visit of Zebre.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21665
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: 5th Province

Postby hugonaut » December 31st, 2018, 1:33 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: It isn't to bring Cork fans to Limerick, its to make it easier for Limerick fans to get to Cork to fill Indo Park


Is it?! Based on what Dave?

Isn't Musgrave full for pretty much every game despite them playing only playing the minnows there?

Which is the exact opposite to Thomond.

Unless they're going to expand the capacity in Cork there's a far bigger need to get Cork fans to Limerick.


Just what I've been told by people within the MRSC. And historically there are more combined Season Tickets sold in Limerick than there are in Cork

It is full, but remember that a full IIP is less than a third of the capacity of TP. Its also not accurate to say they only play the minnows there, this season they've had (and sold out) Edinburgh and Ospreys (and will have the Kings and the Blues) , last season they had Ospreys and Warriors (along with proper minnows Dragons and Benetton - all of which, save the Benetton game sold out). In comparison, TP last season got over 13k for the visit of Zebre.


Yep. It takes 8008 people to get Muzzer to 100% capacity - a full stadium. The same 8008 people makes a 31.2% full Thomond – less than a third full. It takes 19,200 people to get Thomond to 75% capacity, which is a big ask.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4846
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby wixfjord » December 31st, 2018, 3:00 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: It isn't to bring Cork fans to Limerick, its to make it easier for Limerick fans to get to Cork to fill Indo Park


Is it?! Based on what Dave?

Isn't Musgrave full for pretty much every game despite them playing only playing the minnows there?

Which is the exact opposite to Thomond.

Unless they're going to expand the capacity in Cork there's a far bigger need to get Cork fans to Limerick.


Just what I've been told by people within the MRSC. And historically there are more combined Season Tickets sold in Limerick than there are in Cork

It is full, but remember that a full IIP is less than a third of the capacity of TP. Its also not accurate to say they only play the minnows there, this season they've had (and sold out) Edinburgh and Ospreys (and will have the Kings and the Blues) , last season they had Ospreys and Warriors (along with proper minnows Dragons and Benetton - all of which, save the Benetton game sold out). In comparison, TP last season got over 13k for the visit of Zebre.


Yes, but if Musgrave is full then why would the focus be on getting more to Cork?

Unless they plan to increase the capacity as you say the bigger issue is filling Thomond.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4496
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby suisse » January 4th, 2019, 11:04 am

The idea of a 5th team is fine but it doesn't have to be a club or a province in the way we imagine. There's an example in Korea that we could copy but instead of sending young pros off to fulfill their military obligations, it could be to get game time and nothing else.

1. Have no fans. Their home games played behind closed doors. Call the team what it is. IRFU Development Rugby Team. No need to mess around with fancy titles.
2. Players are loaned to IRFUDRT for 24 months. They can't be recalled in that period. Also, their 2 year loan deal can't be extended.
3. Players loaned must be under the age of 23 when they sign. The other 4 provinces are required to loan a certain number per season to maks sure they can fulfill match day requirements.
4. The reason to have no fans and no loan extension is you are not looking for the players to develop links with this IRFUDRT. The objective is simple: get regular game time for players stuck in a log jam and you get that player back after 2 years.
5. After the 2 years, the parent team can decide whether to keep or release the player based on his performances and the squad they now have.
6. The team will play their home games in Donnybrook. This is not a Dublin favoritism but given there are no home fans admitted, it doesn't matter. But as most of the players are in their university years, there are more unis in Dublin than anywhere else and the young players will be closer to Schmidt/Farrell/Easterby etc.
User avatar
suisse
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: 5th Province

Postby johng » January 4th, 2019, 11:25 am

That's not in the least bit batshit mental at all. Don't mind them. :lol:
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17715
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: 5th Province

Postby olaf the fat » January 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

tomthefan wrote:Keep it at four, Leinster, Ulster, South Munster (based in Cork) and North Munster (incorporating Connacht).
North Munster to play their home games in Thomond with the occasional game against Zebre or the Dragons in Galway.
Already a motorway between Limerick and Galway so happy days.

Independent park only needs to be slightly increased in capacity and the bigger games could be in PUC.
Cork is Ireland's foremost sporting city, best attended soccer club and biggest GAA support.
In a professional era, it's ludicrous that Galway should have a side when Cork doesn't.


Let the Limerick gang drive, do a swap deal with the Gaa - Thomond for PUC - happy days all round
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: 5th Province

Postby tomthefan » January 7th, 2019, 10:34 am

In this article from last May, Hugh Farrelly is arguing that there is a lot of discontent in Cork since the whole show was centralised in Limerick.
Munster is now viewed as a Limerick club by a lot of rugby people in Cork, the sop of four games a season in Musgrave Park against the minnows notwithstanding.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 343
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby Oldschool » January 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

tomthefan wrote:In this article from last May, Hugh Farrelly is arguing that there is a lot of discontent in Cork since the whole show was centralised in Limerick.
Munster is now viewed as a Limerick club by a lot of rugby people in Cork, the sop of four games a season in Musgrave Park against the minnows notwithstanding.

So having hijacked Joey and countless others from "other" provinces you are now planning to hijack the 5th Province to Cork.
Munster's two base system was costing Irish rugby a fortune.
Please no more silliness.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby ronk » January 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Munster can't even afford Thomond Park.

The relative decline of Cork was a fait accompli years ago. It's catch-22 now: to afford investing in Cork they'd need to move games out of Cork, which would be a one way move so there'd be no reason to invest in facilities in Cork.

Now if the IRFU were to fund another white elephant...
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: 5th Province

Postby tomthefan » January 7th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Oldschool wrote:
tomthefan wrote:In this article from last May, Hugh Farrelly is arguing that there is a lot of discontent in Cork since the whole show was centralised in Limerick.
Munster is now viewed as a Limerick club by a lot of rugby people in Cork, the sop of four games a season in Musgrave Park against the minnows notwithstanding.

So having hijacked Joey and countless others from "other" provinces you are now planning to hijack the 5th Province to Cork.
Munster's two base system was costing Irish rugby a fortune.
Please no more silliness.


"countless", it's you who's being silly. And there is no 5th province to "hijack". Did you bother to read the article at all?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 343
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby tomthefan » January 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

ronk wrote:The relative decline of Cork was a fait accompli years ago.


What on earth are you talking about?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 343
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: 5th Province

Postby tomthefan » January 7th, 2019, 1:17 pm

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 343
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Previous

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest