Trends

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » October 11th, 2019, 11:45 am

I haven't heard the analysis myself but someone on Second Captains mentioned that there was a detailed analysis on the42 about how the need to tackle lower to avoid penalties etc has led to an increase in the number of offloads and that Ireland haven't moved with the times.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby fourthirtythree » October 11th, 2019, 11:54 am

Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9255
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » October 11th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Thanks, will have a read during the time I'd allocated for the cancelled games :lol:
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 14th, 2019, 2:33 pm

On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

I'm not saying Leinster should do it, but we certainly have the players to give it a go. Imagine adding Baird to whatever forwards we have benching this weekend, there'd be some impact there.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby dropkick » November 14th, 2019, 2:42 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

I'm not saying Leinster should do it, but we certainly have the players to give it a go. Imagine adding Baird to whatever forwards we have benching this weekend, there'd be some impact there.



It's almost a new pack which imo is ridiculous but those are the rules. If you have the quality to take advantage then might as well.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Trends

Postby Oldschool » November 14th, 2019, 3:59 pm

dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

I'm not saying Leinster should do it, but we certainly have the players to give it a go. Imagine adding Baird to whatever forwards we have benching this weekend, there'd be some impact there.



It's almost a new pack which imo is ridiculous but those are the rules. If you have the quality to take advantage then might as well.

Suggested it elsewhere but when Leinster are away to Cheetahs and playing at altitude that a 6/2 bench is definitely the way to go.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12209
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Trends

Postby Twist » November 15th, 2019, 2:49 pm

If it becomes the norm I can see utility backs becoming very valuable. You need to cover every back position with just two guys. Off the top of my head, Cooney and Ringrose would be a good pairing for such a scenario.
User avatar
Twist
Enlightened
 
Posts: 968
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: Trends

Postby ronk » November 15th, 2019, 2:59 pm

It needs a lot of versatility. A backrow who can cover lock and and some one doubling up as a halfback. And still having cover across the backline.

And having 80 minute locks and halfbacks.

But then yes, you can swap in a full front row and back row during a game.
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9854
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Trends

Postby ronk » November 15th, 2019, 3:02 pm

It looked fine when they had Bleyandaal on the bench and JJ got injured. It would have been awkward for a back 3 player or outside centre.
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9854
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 15th, 2019, 3:14 pm

ronk wrote:It needs a lot of versatility. A backrow who can cover lock and and some one doubling up as a halfback. And still having cover across the backline.

And having 80 minute locks and halfbacks.



I would say the reasons for doing it would be the exact opposite of that tbh.

You could have one proper second row, one hybrid (Tadhg Beirne, Baird) who you would put in the second or back row depending on how the game is going, and then maybe a 7 or a Deegan type for the last forwards bench spot.

In Leinster's case if we had Larmour at fullback then we could have a bench with a scrumhalf and Frawley and then every position is covered.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 15th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Toulouse going with a 6-2 split tonight as well.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 27th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Another one I noticed recently is that refs seem to have given up on enforcing the "use it" rule. There have been loads of games where they say it and then just stand there for ages as the scrumhalf waits to organise things.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby fourthirtythree » November 27th, 2019, 2:43 pm

It's five seconds after though isn't it? I often notice that and then decide to count and it's never over five when I do.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9255
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Trends

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 27th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I think so but I definitely think there's been a change very recently. I reckon the refs were told to be hot on it for the World Cup but don't really care now.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12641
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Trends

Postby limecat » November 27th, 2019, 5:08 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:It's five seconds after though isn't it? I often notice that and then decide to count and it's never over five when I do.


I've noticed my own internal count getting to 7-8-9 in recent matches. Very rarely did before this season. I'm possibly just getting better at counting though.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on twitter.

Image
User avatar
limecat
Lazy totalitarian
 
Posts: 5244
Joined: February 17th, 2005, 11:25 pm
Location: a strangely isolated place

Re: Trends

Postby ronk » November 27th, 2019, 10:34 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Another one I noticed recently is that refs seem to have given up on enforcing the "use it" rule. There have been loads of games where they say it and then just stand there for ages as the scrumhalf waits to organise things.


That one is a pity
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9854
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Trends

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 28th, 2019, 12:45 am

What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Trends

Postby Laighin Break » November 28th, 2019, 9:48 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.


I noticed that in another game this season (can't remember what game). I thought it was quite a fair rule, and would be surprised if they changed it.
Could it be refs making mistakes?
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 972
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Trends

Postby Oldschool » November 28th, 2019, 10:06 am

Rugby, as far as I am aware, is the only sport that is defined, almost, by the fact that the ball must be passed backwards.
The abuse of this definition is ruining the game.
The trend to redefining the forward pass has gone well beyond what is acceptable.
Before long it'll be "well if there was no intention to make a forward" then that's fine.
All in the name of entertainment.
Well it isn't entertaining.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12209
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Trends

Postby wixfjord » November 28th, 2019, 10:18 am

Laighin Break wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.


I noticed that in another game this season (can't remember what game). I thought it was quite a fair rule, and would be surprised if they changed it.
Could it be refs making mistakes?


I noticed that on Sat as well and thought the ref got it wrong.

I think what he might've said was that there was a second or two between when RK caught the ball and when he was caught so it wasn't directly from a catch?
wixfjord
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5196
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests