Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by munster#1 »

Dexter wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Look you can keep quoting that number, but as I’ve outlined above it’s pretty meaningless.

The wider point is apt, but that specific maths is so absent of any context as to make it worthless.
Once again, exactly. No matter how many times you repeat the same thing, it's still nonsense in the absence of context.
If that were really the case then Saracens would playing every week in a packed out 100k stadium!
Well there is no doubting that Saracens are a very poorly supported team given their location and on field success.

My marketing experience is very limited, so I will bow down to your superior marketing knowledge.
In your opinion, what do you believe to be the size of the target audience that the Leinster marketeers target each year?

For Munster, with regards to ticket sales, I would be very surprised and disappointed if they did not target every person residing in the province at a minimum.

This does not mean that you expect every person in the province to go to every game, that would be very basic marketing.

As with any marketing you will apply metrics, and from those metrics you measure your failure/success.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Up Wexford wrote: Also wow, is the RDS only 15 years ago?
Yep - 15th October 2005 v Cardiff (we won 34-15) in the Celtic League
We have played a total of 171 games there now.

Up Wexford wrote: Was there occasional games in the RDS or was it only newly converted to rugby recently?
In 05/06 season we played 6 games in Donnybrook, 5 in the RDS and 3 in Lansdowne Road
In 06/07 season we played 9 games in Donnybrook, 0 in the RDS and 4 in Lansdowne Road
In 07/08 season we played 0 games in Donnybrook, 12 in the RDS and 0 in Lansdowne Road
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And the move to the RDS was originally to accommodate extension of Donnybrook.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
Yep, and Dublin manage to do it many more times a year. There might be something we can learn from there.

If you reckon it's 'nonsense' then fair enough. But they're maximising their crowds for league games far more than we are. The head in the sand approach isn't useful imo.

We should be open enough admit that we're not capitalising enough on the opportunity at the minute and some tweaks might change that.
How many times a year to Dublin pull big crowds? I don’t know.

The Irish team fill Aviva 6 times a year (in years where there are 6 games). Leinster mostly fill Aviva twice a year + knockouts). There are 9 or 10 Pro 14 matches in RDS and 2 HC matches. There are away fixtures too (Dublin don’t travel much). It wasn’t that long ago that some AIL fixtures were drawing bigger crowds than Leinster. Leinster have grown a lot and possibly could be growing more, but I can’t really think of much they could be doing better given the constraints and the time frames.

Pro14 attendances are reasonable but not outstanding for the visiting sides that aren’t a big draw. And there is a lot of rugby to spread audiences over.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Xanthippe wrote:
Up Wexford wrote: Also wow, is the RDS only 15 years ago?
Yep - 15th October 2005 v Cardiff (we won 34-15) in the Celtic League
We have played a total of 171 games there now.

Up Wexford wrote: Was there occasional games in the RDS or was it only newly converted to rugby recently?
In 05/06 season we played 6 games in Donnybrook, 5 in the RDS and 3 in Lansdowne Road
In 06/07 season we played 9 games in Donnybrook, 0 in the RDS and 4 in Lansdowne Road
In 07/08 season we played 0 games in Donnybrook, 12 in the RDS and 0 in Lansdowne Road
Super, Thanks!
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

ronk wrote:And the move to the RDS was originally to accommodate extension of Donnybrook.
Has the ship fully sailed on that? Tennis club and residents comittee knocked it on the head?

Although technically would we not own Donnybrook either if it was extended would we be renting it again from Bective and Wesley maybe?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Up Wexford wrote:
Has the ship fully sailed on that? Tennis club and residents comittee knocked it on the head?
We grew out of it. The original plan was for an 11k stadium that would be financed by the sale of apartments built on the same site. By the time the various reviews of planning permission and agreement reached between all six stakeholders ( Leinster, who own the ground, Bective Rangers, Old Wesley and Bective Tennis Club as tenants; Dublin City Council own the parking area to the back of Old Wesley, and ESB have a station adjoining the Old Wesley pavilion) it simply wasn't big enough and would not be self financed due to downturns in the property market
I have Bumbleflex
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Ah good stuff, thanks!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Up Wexford wrote:
ronk wrote:And the move to the RDS was originally to accommodate extension of Donnybrook.

Although technically would we not own Donnybrook either if it was extended would we be renting it again from Bective and Wesley maybe?
The long term plan is to develop the RDS. Wouldn't be under consideration if Donnybrook or an Aviva move were on the cards.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Yep, and Dublin manage to do it many more times a year. There might be something we can learn from there.

If you reckon it's 'nonsense' then fair enough. But they're maximising their crowds for league games far more than we are. The head in the sand approach isn't useful imo.

We should be open enough admit that we're not capitalising enough on the opportunity at the minute and some tweaks might change that.
How many times a year to Dublin pull big crowds? I don’t know.

The Irish team fill Aviva 6 times a year (in years where there are 6 games). Leinster mostly fill Aviva twice a year + knockouts). There are 9 or 10 Pro 14 matches in RDS and 2 HC matches. There are away fixtures too (Dublin don’t travel much). It wasn’t that long ago that some AIL fixtures were drawing bigger crowds than Leinster. Leinster have grown a lot and possibly could be growing more, but I can’t really think of much they could be doing better given the constraints and the time frames.

Pro14 attendances are reasonable but not outstanding for the visiting sides that aren’t a big draw. And there is a lot of rugby to spread audiences over.
Dublin would have 30k+ in Croker at least 6/7 times a year. Now there's different context at play, most notably them being a summertime 'occasion' games and a much bigger sport, but again, it just shows the potential there that I don't think we're maximising.

We absolutely should be doing better. There has been no considerable consistent increase in gates despite our success. I can only imagine what would happen if we went through a sustained period of underachievement like Munster.

If we just say 'feck it we'll never have more than 15/16k average for the lesser league games and we don't mind there's usually tickets available for a Euro game' then that won't change.

The focus should be on growing the crowd consistently and improving the facilities to draw in more imo.

I honestly believe that the open nature of the RDS and the relative poor quality of the toilets/bars/corporate is a big issue when trying to attract new people in, particularly in winter. It's a great ground in a brilliant location that with a few updates could be amazing.

As I say a move to summer rugby would be enormously beneficial for us imo.

The corporate thing would be a huge money spinner also. I mean Leinster Rugby is tailor made for corporate entertainment!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yes, improved stadia where punters can stay dry where they sit would make a big difference.
Yes, Leinster would be raking it in if we had corporate facilities.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Plus you have to consider the max capacity of the ground. We can and should try get more in for the treviso games during the 6 nations etc and the quality of the match day experience will help that a lot.
But generally when you compare one teams attendance to another its average attendance you look at. You need to have capacity for the high profile games to balance out the quiet days. We can only move so many games to the Aviva based on economics and the perceived competition with the national team for days out. So if we had a 30000 seater we could move to regularly, or up the capacity of the rds to about 22 to 24000, combined with improved match day experience, it would make a big difference to the average numbers attending.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Munster are linked with an Aussie fly half.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/risi ... xit/627622

They must have plenty of money to splash these days.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

21+5=26
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote:Munster are linked with an Aussie fly half.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/risi ... xit/627622

They must have plenty of money to splash these days.
Unless he is Irish qualified I seriously doubt this will happen.
Probably just his agent putting pressure on rugby Australia to meet his demands.

On the Munster finances, I have heard that the 2 RWC winners are being paid by an outside source.
I have not had it substantiated, but that is a great bit of business if true.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have promoted 4 academy players to senior contacts, and all 4 are fairly exciting prospects.
Liam Coombes
Keynan Knox
Alex McHenry
Jack o Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Greencore Munster Rugby Academy 2020/21
15 players have now been confirmed for the Academy next season and there may be further additions over the coming months.
Year Three: Thomas Ahern (Lock/Dungarvan-Waterpark RFC/Shannon), Jack Daly (Back-row forward/Castleisland RFC/Garryowen), Ben Healy (Out-half/Glenstal/Garryowen), James French (Prop/Bandom/UCC), Seán French (Centre/PBC/Cork Constitution), Eoghan Clarke (Hooker/Leinster/Shannon), Jonathan Wren (Back three/PBC/Cork Constitution), Josh Wycherley (Prop/Roscrea/Young Munster).

Year Two: Jake Flannery (Out-half/Rockwell/Shannon), John Hodnett (Back-row forward/Clonakilty RFC/UCC), Paddy Kelly (Lock/St.Munchins/Garryowen), Eoin O’Connor (Lock/Waterpark RFC/Young Munster).

Year One: Scott Buckley (Hooker/CBC/UCC), Jack Crowley (Out-half/Bandon/Cork Constitution), Alex Kendellen (Back-row forward/PBC).
Only 3 incoming players.

Cork - 8
Waterford - 2
Tipp - 2
Limerick - 1
Kerry - 1
Dublin - 1
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Only 3 incoming players.

Cork - 8
Waterford - 2
Tipp - 2
Limerick - 1
Kerry - 1
Dublin - 1
2no. props - Wycherly & J. French [looseheads]
2no. hookers - Clarke & Buckley
3no. locks - Ahern, Kelly & O'Connor
3no. backrows - Daly, Hodnett & Kendellen
0no. scrumhalves - N/A
3no. outhalves - Healy, Flannery & Crowley
1no. centre - S. French
0no. wings - N/A
1no. fullback - Wren

Would like to know the thinking behind an intake of just 3 players. Haven't heard of any other organisations adopting that approach.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

You'd wonder how/if the ireland u20 games not being completed affected year 1 academy offers.

statement does say to expect more additions over coming months.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:You'd wonder how/if the ireland u20 games not being completed affected year 1 academy offers.

statement does say to expect more additions over coming months.
If the 6N is re-arranged at Senior level Ireland will push hard to have U.20 competition concluded also. All 6 Nations recognise the significance of this age group in player retention.