Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by jimbobjoe »

hugonaut wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
D4surfer wrote:Great to see that their production line is still producing great talent.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/01/31/ ... nd-snyman/
They're a joke. Nucifora too for permitting it.
Don't see an issue with it, I have to say. You're allowed to have a certain number of NIQ/NIE players in your squad. We do.

They will probably let Arno Botha go and Cloete will nationalise as Irish through residency before the start of the next season. They're very low on NIQs/NIEs as it is at the moment, and two of these guys are top quality players. On the basis of RWC19, Allende is the best inside centre in world rugby. Snyman is incredibly physically gifted.

Don't see a role for Matt Gallagher with Haley and Shane Daly already in the squad. Obviously it depends on how good he is - if he's amazing, he sort of makes the other guys irrelevant. He hasn't shown that he's amazing though. In fairness, he is Irish qualified, and I think it is good to try and bring these guys into the system in general.
Their development of youth is close to non-existent which will mean their moaning of few to no Irish internationals will only grow louder. Maybe one for the stattos out there.. has there been a professional Ireland squad without any Munster players? If not, I reckon it's on the way.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Matt's father was pretty handy* in his day

*massive understatement, he is one of the greatest full backs of all time
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dave Cahill wrote:Matt's father was pretty handy* in his day

*massive understatement, he is one of the greatest full backs of all time

He was my favourite player when I was a kid. Did he play a trial match for us (Ireland) near the end of his career or was it talked about as a possibility? It seems familiar to me for some reason.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yeah, after the game went open he came back from Rugby League and played for Blackheath, Ireland A and the Combined Provinces - but by that stage he wasn't the player he was before he went league
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It's interesting to take a look at the two teams in the 2016 JRWC final where England beat Ireland handily enough with Gallagher on the wing for England

England: M Malins; S Aspland-Robinson, J Marchant, J Williams, M Gallagher; H Mallinder, M Green; L Boyce, J Singleton, B Walker; S South, H Taylor; G Nott, W Evans, C Chick.

Replacements: H Randall for Green (32), W Stuart for B Walker (53), A Kitchener for South (61), J Willis for Nott (61), T West for Boyce (65), C Piper for Singleton (69), O Thorley for Gallagher (72), M Wright for Aspland-Robinson (72).

Ireland: J Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster); M Byrne (Terenure / Leinster), S Daly (Cork Con / Munster), C O’Brien (Clontarf / Leinster), H Keenan (UCD / Leinster); J McPhillips (Queen’s University / Ulster), S Kerins (Sligo / Connacht); A Porter (UCD / Leinster), A McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster), B Betts (Young Munster / Munster); S O’Connor (Cashel / Munster), J Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster); G Jones (UCD / Leinster), D Aspil (St Mary’s RFC / Leinster), M Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster).

Replacements: J O’Brien (UCD / Leinster) for C O’Brien (56), B Connon (Newcastle Falcons) for McPhillips (57), V O’Brien (Cork Con / Munster) for McBurney (61), K Brown (Shannon / Munster) for Brown (62), N Saunders (Epsom College/Exiles) for Kerins (70), E Mintern (Cork Constitution/Munster) for O’Connor (70), A Coyle (Naas/Leinster) for Betts (75), J Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster) for Porter 79).
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:It's interesting to take a look at the two teams in the 2016 JRWC final where England beat Ireland handily enough with Gallagher on the wing for England

England: M Malins; S Aspland-Robinson, J Marchant, J Williams, M Gallagher; H Mallinder, M Green; L Boyce, J Singleton, B Walker; S South, H Taylor; G Nott, W Evans, C Chick.

Replacements: H Randall for Green (32), W Stuart for B Walker (53), A Kitchener for South (61), J Willis for Nott (61), T West for Boyce (65), C Piper for Singleton (69), O Thorley for Gallagher (72), M Wright for Aspland-Robinson (72).

Ireland: J Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster); M Byrne (Terenure / Leinster), S Daly (Cork Con / Munster), C O’Brien (Clontarf / Leinster), H Keenan (UCD / Leinster); J McPhillips (Queen’s University / Ulster), S Kerins (Sligo / Connacht); A Porter (UCD / Leinster), A McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster), B Betts (Young Munster / Munster); S O’Connor (Cashel / Munster), J Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster); G Jones (UCD / Leinster), D Aspil (St Mary’s RFC / Leinster), M Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster).

Replacements: J O’Brien (UCD / Leinster) for C O’Brien (56), B Connon (Newcastle Falcons) for McPhillips (57), V O’Brien (Cork Con / Munster) for McBurney (61), K Brown (Shannon / Munster) for Brown (62), N Saunders (Epsom College/Exiles) for Kerins (70), E Mintern (Cork Constitution/Munster) for O’Connor (70), A Coyle (Naas/Leinster) for Betts (75), J Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster) for Porter 79).
So much hype around these lads. Whatever happened to them?

England were physically so much bigger that day it was frightening.

We couldn't deal with Harry Mallider and he made sh!t of us.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Still rate Mallinder highly, just coming back from a bad injury but think he’ll be in the England squad by next year
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Gallagher is IQ and there were special circumstances that meant it was much easier to get him into a province.

Munster were able to be that province. I haven't seen enough of him.

They won't be allowed sign a tightness unless they can find an IQ one. They've signed 2 star players. Stronger team but a huge blow for player development. This shuts the door on the few places there was local talent.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If Colote and Botha go then they stay within the NIQ guidelines ish. So no probs there.
Bad news maybe for their academy but its good news for Leinster I think.
IRFU must see Munster as something other than a development province for the national team. Maybe something like Ulster 10 years ago. "Just get them competitve again and we'll take it from there".

Could actually be fun next year, JVGs last chance for sure.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by OTT
There is no doubt Snyman will improve their team he would improve most teams.

Munster are going to have to trim a lot of fat though in the second row. At the minute they have 6 locks in their senior squad and 3 more in their academy all IQ (that was not enough though they needed Jed Holloway earlier in the season as a medical joker). Next season we add Snyman to that and it is 7 senior locks and 3 academy guys trying to squeeze some game time.

Leinster for example who apparently need to lose guys like Ryan Baird because we are so stacked :roll: have 4 senior locks and 3 academy locks.

Write that story journalists...

Allegedly O'Shea is being shown the door next season so that will be one less. After that who knows.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:If Colote and Botha go then they stay within the NIQ guidelines ish
Botha is off but Cloete is signed for next season.

However he becomes IQ in the Autumn as does Knox.

Along with Jarred Butler and James Low (and I think Roman Salanoa) they are the last of the 3 year qualifiers.

So Snyman and DeAllende will be their only niq players before the year is out....... unless they sign more.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by OTT
There is no doubt Snyman will improve their team he would improve most teams.

Munster are going to have to trim a lot of fat though in the second row. At the minute they have 6 locks in their senior squad and 3 more in their academy all IQ (that was not enough though they needed Jed Holloway earlier in the season as a medical joker). Next season we add Snyman to that and it is 7 senior locks and 3 academy guys trying to squeeze some game time.

Leinster for example who apparently need to lose guys like Ryan Baird because we are so stacked :roll: have 4 senior locks and 3 academy locks.

Write that story journalists...

Allegedly O'Shea is being shown the door next season so that will be one less. After that who knows.
O'Shea looks like he has the physique to be a decent SR.
So what is/are the problem/s.
Is he just not up to it or is it a case that he has been coached/developed properly.
You often get the impression that with Munster it's a case of far away hills been greener.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

DOS has no fight in him.
I can see him leaving along with Parker, Sean O'Conner, Oliver, Botha, Bleyendaal, Arnold and one or two outside backs.

Along with J O'Sullivan, McHenry, Knox and Liam Coombes, I think Ahern and Healy will be promoted from the academy.

I see Wycherley as a backrow in the long term. He's just a bit too small to be a top class lock but he could be a physical backrow.
Holland will prob get a years extension and be used to mentor the young locks. In 2 years time the locks could be Kleyn, Snyman, Ahern, Eoin O'Conner and Paddy Kelly. All at least 6'7 which is needed in modern rugby.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Fantastic signings for them, particularly Snyman. I've long said they haven't a lock that would make the Leinster 23 (Beirne is a 6/8 who can play lock against some Pro 14 teams) and no amount of blaming the wrong people will make up for it. Could do with a tighthead though. I like Ryan but his health is an issue.

Really think they will provide us with fantastic competition next year, we can whinge about them all we want but a Munster that could beat us in a do or die knockout match is good for the league.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

O'Shea looks like he has the physique to be a decent SR.
So what is/are the problem/s.
Is he just not up to it or is it a case that he has been coached/developed properly.
You often get the impression that with Munster it's a case of far away hills been greener.
Never seemed to kick on. Always on the periphery.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

68-3 at home to the Kings. 10 tries, what a thumpin.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Shocking news. He only stepped down recently.
It is with great sadness that Munster Rugby learned this evening of the passing of Garrett Fitzgerald following an illness.
Garrett, who served as the province’s CEO since 1999, retired in June last year and will be greatly missed by his colleagues and friends.
Munster Rugby would like to extend their deepest sympathies to his wife Áine, children Megan, Jamie and Michael, and the extended O’Donnell-Fitzgerald family.
The longest-serving provincial chief executive in Irish rugby, Garrett spearheaded the province’s rise in the professional era overseeing a 20-year period that produced the greatest days for the province, with successes on and off the field.
RIP
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He played a big role in the good times. RIP.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just watching last night's game and Hodnett was outstanding. Doesn't matter how bad Kings were, he was brilliant technically and with his work rate etc. Very intelligent player too, particularly at the breakdown. He really does play like SOB. Not as freakishly powerful but still very strong and with better hands.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just watching last night's game and Hodnett was outstanding. Doesn't matter how bad Kings were, he was brilliant technically and with his work rate etc. Very intelligent player too, particularly at the breakdown. He really does play like SOB. Not as freakishly powerful but still very strong and with better hands.
Didn't watch all of but what I did he was outstanding in. People here were hoping for a big game from him and he did his part.