Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:As you say it would be a bit mad to throw in Healy for this game after seemingly making him the scapegoat (the management anyway) for the loss at home to Edinburgh, he has not been seen since it. I think the problem is that at this stage he should have been involved a lot more. You touched on it before about Munsters use of a 6-2 split on the bench and when you look at some of the games they felt the need to do it in. Dragons in Thomond, Kings away, Ulster in Thomond, what were they scared of here? They were three games that were made for exposing another young back. Then there were other games like the mighty Ospreys where they had a 5-3 split and chose to pick the tried and trusted over giving game time to a talent like Healy.

He might not have been the standout talent for the U20's they were a cracking squad but he was definitely one I remember for his unbelievable kicking game for someone of that age. Another guy who probably only got game time at 10 because of Harry Byrne being injured was Jake Flannery but he reminded me of Joey Carbery when he came through, very loose but full of natural ability I would have thought a coach like Larkham would be pushing to get a player like that involved somewhere in the backline but as it stands Healy has one appearance and Flannery zero. Like they are where they are now with Blyendaal, Joey and potentially JJ out but it is still the same shite they are selling this season as all the others.
Agree with all of this. Healy was excellent for the 20s, just unlucky to be from this age group but played a big role and did really well. I think he's the kind of mentally tough and solid player that would actually do a really good job if he was thrown in on Sunday. Or at least I think he would if they weren't playing Racing in their astro cinema where the game is likely to be 100mph and even the supposedly world class scrumhalf beside him is likely to struggle. I'm not being funny but it's the kind of game where you'd want someone like POM to be watching his channel like a hawk, whereas the reality is that POM's form means that he's probably the one likely to need his arse covered.

It's truly astonishing that they rushed JJ back instead of backing Healy, and now they might be without the former and haven't done anything to prepare the latter.

Halfback really could be a huge problem for them on Sunday. Murray has managed to get back to decent form IMO, but that's decent in the sense that his passing is okay and his box kicking has been good. He's still not breaking or running the game like he did 18 months ago, and on that pitch and with a centre/rookie outhalf and a weak pack it could end up being a nightmare. No Tadhg Beirne to try and disrupt Racing over the ball, I think they'll have a field day tbh.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I've a funny feeling/hunch that Munster will do ok. Based on nothing ! If they can get to Russell and disrupt him, while (obviously) needing to hold their own upfront esp in setpiece. The fact that they have no secondrow cover on the bench speaks volumes. It's an indictment IMO on how Munster have not brought players on and/or haven't the talent. I'm assuming Wycherly has failed RTP protocols?, Darren O'Shea is a disaster, and Coombes hasn't gotten enough gametime to develop. Similarly Jack O'Sullivan, and Ben Healy. Two good players but with very little Pro14 gametime, can or don't trust them to bench. O'Sullivan has a much higher ceiling than Cloete the penalty machine; Healy should be matching (maybe he is ?) Harry Byrnes amount of gametime. Really strange bench, no OH cover, no SR cover. Presumably Healy will travel as 24th man in case JJ pulls up in warmup. OK... I've talked myself out of it..... it could get ugly for Munster!!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I've a funny feeling/hunch that Munster will do ok. Based on nothing ! If they can get to Russell and disrupt him, while (obviously) needing to hold their own upfront esp in setpiece. The fact that they have no secondrow cover on the bench speaks volumes. It's an indictment IMO on how Munster have not brought players on and/or haven't the talent. I'm assuming Wycherly has failed RTP protocols?, Darren O'Shea is a disaster, and Coombes hasn't gotten enough gametime to develop. Similarly Jack O'Sullivan, and Ben Healy. Two good players but with very little Pro14 gametime, can or don't trust them to bench. O'Sullivan has a much higher ceiling than Cloete the penalty machine; Healy should be matching (maybe he is ?) Harry Byrnes amount of gametime. Really strange bench, no OH cover, no SR cover. Presumably Healy will travel as 24th man in case JJ pulls up in warmup. OK... I've talked myself out of it..... it could get ugly for Munster!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Van Graan has broken (IMHO) the golden rule by selecting a player who is not fit.
It's surprising how many coaches break this rule and almost always live to regret it.
On that basis Munster haven't a hope
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Good luck to them. Strong enough team out.

On paper they look like the dont have many injuries.

JJ is a risk you take. O'Sullivan is an interesting choice where the upstart is ahead of the incumbent. 5-3 split is right, would have been too big a risk. Lack of cover at lock is barely.

Munster:

15. Mike Haley
14. Andrew Conway
13. Chris Farrell
12. Rory Scannell
11. Keith Earls
10. JJ Hanrahan
9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. Stephen Archer
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Billy Holland
6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
7. Jack O’Donoghue
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Kevin O’Byrne
17. Jeremy Loughman
18. John Ryan
19. Arno Botha
20. Chris Cloete
21. Craig Casey
22. Dan Goggin
23. Shane Daly
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:Van Graan has broken (IMHO) the golden rule by selecting a player who is not fit.
It's surprising how many coaches break this rule and almost always live to regret it.
On that basis Munster haven't a hope
I think it depends on the injury and the position the player is. I'd be very reluctant to risk a hamstring injury, but especially for a back. I wouldn't be 100% sure that he'll actually start (wasn't even training with the squad as of Wednesday) but if he does then I can't imagine he'll be able to perform at any kind of decent level.

If he has to go off then there's the added complication of changing the midfield around.

Interesting that Casey is on the bench.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is Nick McCarthy hurt?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Carre sent off early on for Sarries vs Ospreys. Could be a boon for Munsters qualification hopes.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Nope, Ospreys are awful.
Anyone But New Zealand
notror
Beginner

Post by notror »

In Paris for the weekend with the wife to watch the Racing Munster match as I need to add credits to my brownie points . Does anyone know of a pub close to La Defence arena where I might get to watch the Leinster match? The metro is running a limited service thanks to the strike so I wanted to get as close to the ground before the kick off in Paris
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Excellent stuff so far from Munster. They're not doing a huge amount in attack but ticking over on the scoreboard and just about containing Racing.

The intercept is a huge turn around because you felt Racing were getting into the groove.

Russell is great to watch but also constantly overplays his hand. Trying to score on every play.

Can see Racing taking over but this is much better than Munster could've expected.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Yeah, that’ll be tough for them to take. No LBP even. I thought they didnt get the decisions when they got close to the Racing line. But really it was in Thomond and Allianz Park that this season went wrong
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Was the selection of Daly and Casey on the bench tokenism one asked.

78mins in and they both come on with the game lost.

Never change Munster, never change.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Think Casey has one start for Munster? He should’ve moved to Leinster, if only for the game time
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Showed some real pluck but were overun in the end. Cant see Racing winning the trophy though. Way too loose and Russell is going to fup them over for sure.
Hugh Farrelly has a go of VAN GRAMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybtgDdJ7MQ
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTT wrote:Was the selection of Daly and Casey on the bench tokenism one asked.

78mins in and they both come on with the game lost.

Never change Munster, never change.
They have a chance now to develop, except obviously in the positions with internationals who need to be sharp for the 6N.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gonna be very interesting to see what side Munster put out next weekend. Technically they're not dead and buried but surely it's an opportunity to get a few young guys some Euro game time.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote:Gonna be very interesting to see what side Munster put out next weekend. Technically they're not dead and buried but surely it's an opportunity to get a few young guys some Euro game time.
They need to get focused on the Pro 14, there is not only a danger that they may not qualify for the playoffs but that they might not qualify for the Champions Cup. It's hard to know where they go from here, coaches have come and gone and they are regressing. At the end of the day, their Academy is not producing and they don't have the finances to buy a top European team.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The only thing they have control over in terms of what they need to progress to the knockouts is the game against Ospreys, so they'll go fully loaded
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Looking at the Racing 4th try. Lovely slow-mo of Imhoff crossing the line from a camera in the very corner were Thomas had scored a few mins earlier. Why did they not show us that angle for Teddy's try?
I'd hate to think that any shennanigans were going on with hometown TV directors.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!