Ulster 2019-2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster 2019-2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Watching that try again, poor defence by Abendenon to leave Cooney free. Marty may have had the ball but you have to back the others to catch him and at the very least he should have made the tackle on the other side to prevent the offload.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Marty's performance has fallen off a cliff since I praised him, still a long way to go in terms of his fitness.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The stupidity of not taking points could make a big difference in terms of a LBP too. At this stage you'd back Clermont to pull away rather than for Ulster to stay in touch.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Marty's performance has fallen off a cliff since I praised him, still a long way to go in terms of his fitness.
Marty was clwaring carrying an injury to his left leg by the time he went off. Just when it occurred was impossible to see.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Marty's performance has fallen off a cliff since I praised him, still a long way to go in terms of his fitness.
Marty was clwaring carrying an injury to his left leg by the time he went off. Just when it occurred was impossible to see.
Tbh RTB I think Marty always seems to get injured as he begins to look tired...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Taking Cooney off is a very strange decision. Whatever about his general play, surely they'd want him to be the one taking an important kick?

Their profligacy coming back to haunt them now anyway. Some brilliant elements to this performance but the decision making has been wretched. The set piece needs a lot of work and the centres need to be braver with their passing too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Agree with all the comment about not taking points and decision making. Excellent first half performance but not enough points on the board.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ulster didn't learn the lesson that cost Munster a LBP and payed the same price.
Smart people learn from their mistakes.
Really smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
What should have been at worst and conservatively a 16-6, possibly even a 16-3 lead at half time for Ulster was only a 10-9 lead.
That's very poor game management.
It's doubtful Clermont would have come back from that.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Hard to know what to make of Clermont. With the final being in France I thought they were serious contenders to win the competition. But that’s twice Ulster have made them look very beatable. But its also twice they’ve come out of it with a favourable result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
Tbh RTB I think Marty always seems to get injured as he begins to look tired...
Not fair on Marty. He hurt his ankle in the first half. There was a shot of the physio wrapping his ankle. I think it was just after Para got his yellow card but may be wrong.

He then came out for the second half with more strapping on.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's extremely fair on Marty, he always goes down injured after a long defensive set or a series of scrums. He's been doing it since he was with us, it got particularly bad when he was at Wasps, and was doing it a lot when he first arrived at Ulster. He may well have picked up a knock today but honestly he's been using "injury" breaks for years.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's extremely fair on Marty, he always goes down injured after a long defensive set or a series of scrums. He's been doing it since he was with us, it got particularly bad when he was at Wasps, and was doing it a lot when he first arrived at Ulster. He may well have picked up a knock today but honestly he's been using "injury" breaks for years.
Agreed. A long-term challenge for Marty who has always had a nutrition / fitness challenge. As he works harder, he consumes more, and often less suitable food. At this point in his career, fitness and no niggling injuries are essential if he is to regain his international Squad place.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stockdale has agreed an IRFU contract extension which will keep him at Ulster until the end of the 2022-23 season
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Good win for Ospreys and a Good result for us. A 15 point lead now at the Top of the conference.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Glad for the Ospreys. They needed that win. Helps us out in the league too. Not the worst of games to watch.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

If I was Ulster I would be on to Bryan Byrne's agent. Herring has the number slot but McBurney has being unspectacular this season. He could easily slot into the number 16 shirt for them.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Is Aaron Sexton playing any rugby, AIL, sevens or Ulster A?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Alby Matthewson set to sign for Ulster for next season according to Sunday Times
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:Alby Matthewson set to sign for Ulster for next season according to Sunday Times

If true, that's an appalling decision by Nucifora when Connacht have 3 excellent scrum-halves who are not all getting game time. Also Dave Shanahan has shown how a scrummie can improve with regular game time. The Ulster U.20 scrum-half also looks a very decent player - despite his size.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

As an Ulstersupporter I have mixed feelings about the rumoured signing. Whilst Shanahan has improved he still does not inspire confidence when you are watching him. Ulster have 3 potential 9 in Finlay, and McKee who was with the U20’sbefore being struck down by tonsillitis and Doak son of our ex player and coach. Doak is still at school but has featured for Ulster A early in 5he season.All three are good prospects who probably need more experience.
Shanahan has been carrying an injury this week and was a doubtful starter so McKee has been with the senior squad all week as potential cover.
There is no doubt that Cooney is going to be missing at times but I-am hoping that this is a Relatively short term arrangement as I don’t see it being in the long term interest of Ulster.