Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2019/20

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:Bleedin' foreign players coming over here embracing our rugby culture and contributing massively to the game at local and national level.
And how much money is he sending back to Indochina or wherever hes bleedin from?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Central contract too. Frees up a fair oul wedge for the westies.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Which player were they saying is studying medicine?
Angus Lloyd I think
Thanks!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I didn't read Francis' article but when I saw the headline I knew that Bundee would sign this week :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Bleedin' foreign players coming over here embracing our rugby culture and contributing massively to the game at local and national level.
And how much money is he sending back to Indochina or wherever hes bleedin from?
It's his carbon footprint that should be the main concern.
Think he's from Western Samoa.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Bundee is from New Zealand and him signing is a massive boost to Connacht. It's a vindication of all the good work done in the West and it will remove a fair chunk off the wage bill meaning they will be in better shape next season to sign some more players. This is a great bit of news.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:Bundee is from New Zealand and him signing is a massive boost to Connacht. It's a vindication of all the good work done in the West and it will remove a fair chunk off the wage bill meaning they will be in better shape next season to sign some more players. This is a great bit of news.
Its not a National Contract, it's an IRFU supported Provincial Contract which means Connacht get a finite contribution (still a big sum) from the Union towards it.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

That's a shame to hear but they'll still save cash which can go on to strengthen the squad for next year.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Holy sh1t! There's a new type of contract?

Sounds like the Welsh ndc (national dual contract) which i believe they are phasing out.

When did this start? Is it the first one?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Other than National Contracts, every player has a IRFU / Provincial contract, with the possible exception of a pure NIQ like Fardy.

The system is that Nucifora defines the Squad size and the number of players in each Category - Academy, Development, Full Contract, Senior (international) Contract and then National Contract. The Province than agrees / negotiates with Nucifora by how much they are going to top up the IRFU contribution. Sometimes, when it comes to Senior contracts there may be add-ons, possibly funded by a Provincial sponsor.

In general, the IRFU are very reluctant to give more than a 2yr contract over the age of 30 and only 1-yr over the age of 32. But this is where the real hard negotiations come for senior pros. The rumour is that Nationals contracts at these ages have been particularly hard fought, with Provinces stuck in the middle.

Contrary to what many think, the overall remuneration between players in the same Category is fairly level from Province to Province, although in recent years, the Leinster players have benefitted from competition win bonuses. However, some of them have argued for a "Dublin" cost of living allowance.

I've heard figures for each Category but as there's no proof of those rumours, it's not appropriate to repeat them. However, what is probably verifiable is that despite very improved income and better financial management, Connacht is still a distance from being self-sufficient and in reality may never reach that point.

Leinster generate a surplus annually, based on a Munster fixture in Aviva, a home EPCR q/f and an AVIVA EPCR Pool game Christmas gate. Ulster wash their face every year because of their Corporate take at Kingspan Stadium whilst Munster need success and good gates in Thomond to keep the ship afloat, including Thomond repayments. However, they have the underlying expense of running two Stadiums.

On the other hand Leinster have a much more expensive Domestic expenditure, largely by way of employees working with Schools, Youths, and Under-age games, including Referees and the Womens game costs. These expendutures, in various different ways, support the playing, administration and supporter base which gives rise to the supply of Academy and Sub-Academy players, Season Ticket Holders and the multitude of volunteers who are the lifeblood of the game across the 12 counties.

The IRFU operates on a federal basis which constantly gives rise to discussion and dispute. Leinster provide over 50% of the domestic and professional players and closer to 70% of the international ticket purchases. But the game at representative level requires the existance and the success / survival of all four Provinces.

From time to time this is more an act of faith than financial prudence. However, for periods such as all four Provinces are enjoying at present, it provides a great base for competitive representative rugby from within a relatively small playing population.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Thanks RTBs loads of info there.
I'd say Leinsters annual "surplus" has a lot to do with our on-field success. We've made both the heino qf and pro14 sf for the last 3 seasons, adding 70k extra ticket sales to our bottom line each season.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Leinster generate a surplus annually, based on a Munster fixture in Aviva, a home EPCR q/f and an AVIVA EPCR Pool game Christmas gate. Ulster wash their face every year because of their Corporate take at Kingspan Stadium whilst Munster need success and good gates in Thomond to keep the ship afloat, including Thomond repayments. However, they have the underlying expense of running two Stadiums.

Musgrave park is hosting summer concerts now. Hosted 6 last year attended by a total of 65000 people with tickets about €50. That's about €3.2m. I don't know what percentage Munster get but it should cover the yearly costs. There's going to be 6 more this Summer.

That's why they were so keen to put in a 4G surface despite the pitch being good already. The U20s are also coming with 3 games.

Kingspan is a nice stadium. Ulster struck gold getting that.

The greyhound folk struck gold with Connacht. I don't know what the story is there but spending €30m on a stadium and still having the dog track is crazy IMO.

I don't know enough about the RDS to comment but it looks like they struck good with Leinster moving in.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You're right about Ulster striking gold, check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MCe6C3T1Fo
What a set up.
Now, how about some decent players.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

The greyhound folk struck gold with Connacht. I don't know what the story is there but spending €30m on a stadium and still having the dog track is crazy IMO.
Connacht and the IRFU don't own the stadium so it's not there decision to keep or remove the dog track unfortunately.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I've just turned on the connacht game. The nicest thing about having Ryle and Fiona commentating is that they won't be able to ruin either of the other two games today.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Crazy finish. What a comeback from Connacht. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gloucester are serial chokers but that was a great comeback from Connacht. Bundee seemed to playing on the wing for a lot of it and it didn't work at all because they needed his physicality in midfield. He ended up closer to the action near the end and made a big bust that helped get them a try.

The scrum suffered but I was impressed with Robertson McCoy around the pitch. Dillane looks close to his best again too, put in a serious shift.

Carty's confidence seems to have gone through the floor. I wonder is the Japan game still on his mind? He started well in that game but he was a big part in things unraveling and I don't think he's been the same since.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone else think ref gave Connacht nothing last night?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone else think ref gave Connacht nothing last night?
Absolutely nothing, but he had to put up with a lot of verbals and Blade in particular was warned by him for being "mouthy". Learning how to "handle" a ref should come with the coaching package and a few Connacht players seem to need particular direction in this regard.

Regarding the game itself, Friend had the wrong back-row selection and it may have cost his team the game. Dillane and Roux are becoming two very strong and physical players who, combined with Bealham, are a real handful as ball carriers. But their back-row lacked physicality and a groundhog and really weren't able to capitalise on the good work of their front five. Coupled with a few, vital, errant line-outs and missing a second mid-field threat alongside Aki, Connacht missed an opportunity to leapfrog a very average Munster.

Casey may become a very good scrumhalf, but he's not there yet by a long way. Daly may become a decent full-back but he has still a way to go. Nash has real pace but needs to get ball earlier. Coombes (winger) looks a tidy footballer but got too little ball to be certain of his potential yet.

This was a game which Connacht managed badly and selection was a key issue. They started with the wrong out-half and back-row and those decisions cost them.
They have been well coached by Friend thus far but winning Interpros against Munster or Leinster needs smarter direction on the park than Connacht showed yesterday.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really good piece about Andy Friend in The42:
https://www.the42.ie/andy-friend-interv ... 6-Dec2019/

Sounds like just the sort of guy who balances sport with reality. Wouldn't mind if he suceeded Nucifora in due course.