Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

claire_m
Shane Jennings

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by claire_m »

Mauler wrote:
Oscar wrote:
El Diablo wrote: Paul Burke is still plugging away at Leicester. He must be at least 40!

I saw Burke play for Ireland U21s against NZ in Donnybrook back in the 90s, among his teammates that day were Keith Wood and Anthony Foley. I believe Jonah Lomu was playing for NZ.

Wood and Burke were both already bald at the time.
So was Lomu (kinda)
I think Burkey's 35/36.

I also think this will be his last season. he'll probably go into coaching after this season, not sure if it'll be over here (his parents own a pub in Hampton) or in Ireland, where the rest of the family live.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

claire_m wrote:
Mauler wrote:
Oscar wrote:
I saw Burke play for Ireland U21s against NZ in Donnybrook back in the 90s, among his teammates that day were Keith Wood and Anthony Foley. I believe Jonah Lomu was playing for NZ.

Wood and Burke were both already bald at the time.
So was Lomu (kinda)
I think Burkey's 35/36.

I also think this will be his last season. he'll probably go into coaching after this season, not sure if it'll be over here (his parents own a pub in Hampton) or in Ireland, where the rest of the family live.
It doesn't say much for Leicester's youth policy! After seeing James Power tonight in the A game, we have a conveyer-belt of good outhalfs coming through.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

El Diablo wrote: It doesn't say much for Leicester's youth policy! After seeing James Power tonight in the A game, we have a conveyer-belt of good outhalfs coming through.

Sexton hasn't even taken the field in a Heineken Cup match yet; it's not time to get excited about our "conveyer belt" just yet. Let's wait until at least one or two of them are producing the goods in games that mean something.
CrapFullBack
Bookworm

Post by CrapFullBack »

Good performance today by David Blaney in Bristol's win against the Scarlets. His lineout throwing was good and he was prominant in the loose.

Fair play to you David
Come visit and see for yourself!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

CrapFullBack wrote:Good performance today by David Blaney in Bristol's win against the Scarlets. His lineout throwing was good and he was prominant in the loose.

Fair play to you David
Delighted for him. He got a great quite an ovation from the crowd when he came off. His replacement couldn't hit a bard door from 5 metres!
Ray Hogan (Trev's brother) came on for the last 15 and did OK. i was really sorry he didn't join Leinster last season.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

El Diablo wrote:
CrapFullBack wrote:Good performance today by David Blaney in Bristol's win against the Scarlets. His lineout throwing was good and he was prominant in the loose.

Fair play to you David
Delighted for him. He got a great quite an ovation from the crowd when he came off. His replacement couldn't hit a bard door from 5 metres!
Ray Hogan (Trev's brother) came on for the last 15 and did OK. i was really sorry he didn't join Leinster last season.
You got the better of the Connacht props anyhow, Hogan was injured for much of last season and then when he got game time didn't really impress.

SKnoopy won't let you down... :)
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

I didn't get to see any rugby on the the telly over the weekend. How did Kieran Lewis do for Munster? I would say he will have his work cut out to nail down the 13 shirt with Tipoki, Mafi and Barry Murphy (I presume he is injured).
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Barry Murphy played AIL this weekend.
Lewis wasn't great and hasn't looked great at 13 for a while now IMO.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

2 tries for old-man Blaney for Bristol in their loss to Saracens - Brian O'Riordan got a start too
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Niall Treston played for Clontarf on Saturday. He was still playing professionally last season (Coventry RFC) but he has obviously decided to give up the struggle. What a shame. It just shows these guys are one injury away from disaster.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Suspected broken ankle for David Blaney today playing for brizzle. Scored a try too
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

El Diablo wrote:Niall Treston played for Clontarf on Saturday. He was still playing professionally last season (Coventry RFC) but he has obviously decided to give up the struggle. What a shame. It just shows these guys are one injury away from disaster.
Tressie's been with Tarf since the start of the season.

Interesting Roly was in Castle Avenue on Saturday, and I thought to myself "Who are Leinster looking at today" until I remembered, he's not working with Leinster anymore !
T - 45
Lampshade
Learner

Post by Lampshade »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
El Diablo wrote:Niall Treston played for Clontarf on Saturday. He was still playing professionally last season (Coventry RFC) but he has obviously decided to give up the struggle. What a shame. It just shows these guys are one injury away from disaster.

Interesting Roly was in Castle Avenue on Saturday, and I thought to myself "Who are Leinster looking at today" until I remembered, he's not working with Leinster anymore !
Yeah bad move Leinster sacking him off last season......we'll just have to see how that one pans out for them. Big mistake.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Lampshade wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:

Yeah bad move Leinster sacking him off last season......we'll just have to see how that one pans out for them. Big mistake.
yeah, since out scrum is better than ever, i can really see how it was a shocking move
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Did anyone see how Brian O'Riordan did for Bristol vs. Wasps today? I only tuned in just before he was subbed. Perry must be out injured I assume.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

O'Riordan played very well. gave away one ridicilous penalty for joining into the scrum (hard to believe I know but I kid you not) but generally controlled very well and is a big physical presence.
Darce - your spot on about Roly. I remember saying the exact same thing to Cahill back when they let him go. Coaches have to be judged on results and not popularity.
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

sewa wrote:Darce - your spot on about Roly. I remember saying the exact same thing to Cahill back when they let him go. Coaches have to be judged on results and not popularity.
I'm gonna go ahead and quote this for posterity as its gonna be the only time we probably ever agree on something
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Oscar
Mullet

Re:

Post by Oscar »

Darce wrote:
sewa wrote:Darce - your spot on about Roly. I remember saying the exact same thing to Cahill back when they let him go. Coaches have to be judged on results and not popularity.
I'm gonna go ahead and quote this for posterity as its gonna be the only time we probably ever agree on something

If anybody ever in the future claims that I once agreed with Sewa AND Darce on this forum, I'll deny it, but I remember saying something similar myself at the time...
El Diablo
Mullet

Re: Re:

Post by El Diablo »

Try of the weekend......finished off by Big Ben Gissing for Edinburgh against Toulouse. Great try
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Anyone with Sky been watching LI recently? Eoghan Hickey is playing 10 every so often and semingly did well in the game against Leeds. Might be one to consider bringing back a bit further down the line. A future 12, playing outside Sexton?