Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Workhorse » December 24th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Joe now has another guy contracted to re-join an Irish Provinces from next Season. Will he bring him into a National Squad before he actually arrives back in Ireland?

Having cut Zebo for contracting to leave, it would be logical, if he wanted Marty, to include him on foot of him contracting to return.


Now they're two situations that everyone seems to think are the same.
Zebo was/is (we don't know about 6 nations yet) excluded because Joe was/is building for the WC at which point Zebo wont be completely under IRFU control so won't definitely be released for all Irish camps so he won't be considered for selection for the WC.
Beirne and Moore will be eligible for selection for the WC but just now aren't in a position where they'll be released for every Irish camp, like the one they just had, due to not being under IRFU control and that is why they're not being considered just now.
Basically Zebo is down to timing, if the WC wasn't on the horizon he'd probably be getting selected but just now everything is geared slightly towards the WC which under the IRFU unofficial rules he won't be eligible for so thats why he's not being selected.
Workhorse
 
Posts: 2
Joined: December 24th, 2017, 12:59 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Fan with smartphone » January 12th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Beirne having an absolutely magnificent game for the scarlets v bath here. Be it outrageously stepping Watson to score a try, tackling him in open field, hard carries, groundhogging turnovers, maul turnovers, breakdown decisions, passing, offloading, resetting defensively, having a laugh with the referee, being part of a pack winning scrum penalties, offensive lineout work, defensive lineout work. In mitigation, the entire scarlets team are playing well (although I’ve also seen him playing well in games this year where the team hasn’t been functioning so well). He will hope Joe is watching tonight though.
Fan with smartphone
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 489
Joined: May 18th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Fan with smartphone » January 12th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Austin Healy: I honestly don’t know which scarlet should be man of the match here. Impossible decision.
Main commentator: tackle by Beirne.
Martyn Williams: cough.
Main commentator: would you like Martyn to help you pick your man of the match? Another tackle by Beirne.
Austin Healy: ok man I know you want to give it to Beirne.
Main commentator: that tackle was surprisingly not made by Beirne, though I’m sure he had some influence in it (tongue in cheek imoji needed).
Martyn Williams: chuckle.
Main commentator: another tackle by you know who there.
Fan with smartphone
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 489
Joined: May 18th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 12th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Fan with smartphone wrote:Beirne having an absolutely magnificent game for the scarlets v bath here. Be it outrageously stepping Watson to score a try, tackling him in open field, hard carries, groundhogging turnovers, maul turnovers, breakdown decisions, passing, offloading, resetting defensively, having a laugh with the referee, being part of a pack winning scrum penalties, offensive lineout work, defensive lineout work. In mitigation, the entire scarlets team are playing well (although I’ve also seen him playing well in games this year where the team hasn’t been functioning so well). He will hope Joe is watching tonight though.


Despite having strong opposition to this view, Joe just must try to get Beirne into our 6N camp for the closed period, even if doesn't get selected for a match-day Squad.

Reasons: Leinster play Scarlets twice during that period and; Beirne will definitely be in our RWC19 Squad and we don't have any huge depth in the second row - two injuries and we're goosed!.
A really serious talent with almost NZ level skills and game awareness.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby paddyor » January 12th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Unless he's in the announced squad of 27 by Tueday for the weekend he has to be released back to his team on Wednesday. The over seas selection rules are pretty practical.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby blockhead » January 12th, 2018, 11:50 pm

paddyor wrote:Unless he's in the announced squad of 27 by Tueday for the weekend he has to be released back to his team on Wednesday. The over seas selection rules are pretty practical.

Maybe Leo should make a call to Joe and pull in a favour, he must have some credit in the bank with the great man. Get Beirne out of the Scarlets squad and onto the Irish squad for the 6N period.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby mildlyinterested » January 13th, 2018, 12:02 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:Beirne having an absolutely magnificent game for the scarlets v bath here. Be it outrageously stepping Watson to score a try, tackling him in open field, hard carries, groundhogging turnovers, maul turnovers, breakdown decisions, passing, offloading, resetting defensively, having a laugh with the referee, being part of a pack winning scrum penalties, offensive lineout work, defensive lineout work. In mitigation, the entire scarlets team are playing well (although I’ve also seen him playing well in games this year where the team hasn’t been functioning so well). He will hope Joe is watching tonight though.


Despite having strong opposition to this view, Joe just must try to get Beirne into our 6N camp for the closed period, even if doesn't get selected for a match-day Squad.

Reasons: Leinster play Scarlets twice during that period and; Beirne will definitely be in our RWC19 Squad and we don't have any huge depth in the second row - two injuries and we're goosed!.
A really serious talent with almost NZ level skills and game awareness.


a potential world class 2nd row from leinster playing for our biggest rivals
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Oldschoolsocks » January 13th, 2018, 12:41 am

mildlyinterested wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:Beirne having an absolutely magnificent game for the scarlets v bath here. Be it outrageously stepping Watson to score a try, tackling him in open field, hard carries, groundhogging turnovers, maul turnovers, breakdown decisions, passing, offloading, resetting defensively, having a laugh with the referee, being part of a pack winning scrum penalties, offensive lineout work, defensive lineout work. In mitigation, the entire scarlets team are playing well (although I’ve also seen him playing well in games this year where the team hasn’t been functioning so well). He will hope Joe is watching tonight though.


Despite having strong opposition to this view, Joe just must try to get Beirne into our 6N camp for the closed period, even if doesn't get selected for a match-day Squad.

Reasons: Leinster play Scarlets twice during that period and; Beirne will definitely be in our RWC19 Squad and we don't have any huge depth in the second row - two injuries and we're goosed!.
A really serious talent with almost NZ level skills and game awareness.


a potential world class 2nd row from leinster playing for our biggest rivals


Hold on now, didn’t realize that Beirne was signing for Clermont??
I just wanted to see Gordon D'Arcy get a 'back, sack and crack wax'
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby CiaranIrl » January 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Brendan Macken starting for Wasps against Quinns today. Hope it goes well for him. A players I had huge hopes for.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3200
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby simonokeeffe » January 13th, 2018, 4:39 pm

@OSS chapeau, grande chapeau
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby blockhead » January 13th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Diaspora watch:
Timoney gets try for Ulster
Beirne gets try for Scarlets (and MOTM)
Macken gets try for Wasps
Cooney gets 5pts for Ulster
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Fan with smartphone » January 14th, 2018, 12:30 am

blockhead wrote:Diaspora watch:
Timoney gets try for Ulster
Beirne gets try for Scarlets (and MOTM)
Macken gets try for Wasps
Cooney gets 5pts for Ulster


Only the challenge cup, but Try for Adeolokun, 9 points Ronaldson into the bargain.
Fan with smartphone
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 489
Joined: May 18th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby domhnallj » February 16th, 2018, 10:25 am

"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Oldschoolsocks » February 17th, 2018, 11:08 am

domhnallj wrote:Damian Browne, what an achievement!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat ... -1.3394034



+1, read this yesterday - what an epic achievement
I just wanted to see Gordon D'Arcy get a 'back, sack and crack wax'
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby blockhead » February 17th, 2018, 10:51 pm

from the Canary Islands and finished in Antigua

Nah, not buying it, that's only half way. Galway to New York, now that's an Atlantic crossing!
If POC was in the boat he'ed do a few laps around Greenland for good measure. And watch the ice retreat then be jaysus!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Well, possibly a future, rather than past, Leinster Player, Jerry Sexton, try scorer yesterday for Jersey beating Bristol for the first time this season by 34-38 in Bristol.

Mads kicked four converts and two penalties and Bristol got 4 Championship points. But, defeat at home won't please Lam and his Irish contingent.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Grumpy Old Man » March 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Well, possibly a future, rather than past, Leinster Player, Jerry Sexton, try scorer yesterday for Jersey beating Bristol for the first time this season by 34-38 in Bristol.

Mads kicked four converts and two penalties and Bristol got 4 Championship points. But, defeat at home won't please Lam and his Irish contingent.


How do Bristol get 4 Championship points? is there a different points system in the Championship?
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 6603
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby mildlyinterested » March 5th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Well, possibly a future, rather than past, Leinster Player, Jerry Sexton, try scorer yesterday for Jersey beating Bristol for the first time this season by 34-38 in Bristol.

Mads kicked four converts and two penalties and Bristol got 4 Championship points. But, defeat at home won't please Lam and his Irish contingent.


future :idea:
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Well, possibly a future, rather than past, Leinster Player, Jerry Sexton, try scorer yesterday for Jersey beating Bristol for the first time this season by 34-38 in Bristol.

Mads kicked four converts and two penalties and Bristol got 4 Championship points. But, defeat at home won't please Lam and his Irish contingent.


How do Bristol get 4 Championship points? is there a different points system in the Championship?


You're absolutely right. My mistake and apologies.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 11th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Sunday morning, turn on TV to get a quick Top14 'fix' before watching Wales 6N game and hear the commentator raving about a prop forward getting a tap tackle on a No 12 to aid his team's latest attempt to escape relegation. Stade Francais v Castres is the clue and sure enough the Prop doing the apparently impossible is Heinke Van de Merwe, our former seemingly indestructable LHP with no cartilege in either knee but an insatiable desire to win.

He looks as fit and hard as ever. Still one of my all time favourite, underrated, NIQ players for Leinster.

Chapeau Monsieur.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest