Munster to wait on Horan

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Munster to wait on Horan

Post by thecoolfreak »

MUNSTER have the option of waiting until an hour before the kick-off of Sunday's big Heineken Cup semi-final clash with Leinster before deciding whether they will risk playing their international prop Marcus Horan.

Reflecting on the state of Horan's fitness at the squad announcement on Wednesday, Munster coach Declan Kidney insisted: "We will give Marcus every chance and make a decision when we have to. We don't have to do that for another 48 hours."

Kidney was adhering to the fact that both semi-finalists are scheduled to announce their line-ups by midday today. But, the reality is that Munster don't have to confirm a definite line-up until an hour before kick-off.

That means that Kidney can either leave a vacancy in the loose-head spot today, or put down an either/or situation at loose-head prop, with Horan and Fredericho Pucciariello both named.

Alternatively, he could name Pucciariello on the basis that Horan's calf problem won't mend in time.

The expectation is that two of Munster's other main injured stars, Ronan O'Gara and Denis Leamy will be included in the Munster side today. Both came through training sessions unscathed earlier this week.

Leinster, without any injury problems, are certain to stick with the team which upset Toulouse in the quarter-finals.

The only decision is whether to include Ronan McCormack or Emmet Byrne among the substitutes.
[/quote]
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

I doubt Horan will recover in time tbh.

Freddie is pretty handy however. Ask Cracker :wink:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Freddie is pretty handy however
I'd be more worried about Freddie playing than Horan. He's a much better scrumagger and is handy around the park
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

We are blessed to have Freddy Puc as back up, he was fantastic on Saturday evening.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Freddie is pretty handy however
I'd be more worried about Freddie playing than Horan. He's a much better scrumagger and is handy around the park

Completely agree. Marcus doesn't scrummage properly for starters - he would be a banker for the easy penalty.

Pucciarrello is pretty fast for a guy his size too!
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

Marcus is a flyer and is excellent in the loose, freddie isnt bad, but given a choice I would have marcus in there every time.
We won just twice