Post by FLIP »

Estate Agents.. enough said
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Oldschool »

Cyclists again.
Been doing a bit more than the normal driving in the city recently.
One thing that really stands out is the number of cyclists wearing no safety gear whatsoever.
You'd think headgear, in particular, would be the number one requirement.
In fact it should be compulsory.
But all you'll get is moans about motorists - The lord helps them that helps themselves.
If a cyclist has no respect for their own safety why would they expect someone else to?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:Cyclists again.
Been doing a bit more than the normal driving in the city recently.
One thing that really stands out is the number of cyclists wearing no safety gear whatsoever.
You'd think headgear, in particular, would be the number one requirement.
In fact it should be compulsory.
But all you'll get is moans about motorists - The lord helps them that helps themselves.
If a cyclist has no respect for their own safety why would they expect someone else to?
What a ridiculous comment.
I would usually wear a helmet (and always in Dublin) but studies have shown that compulsory helmets don't solve the problem. In fact cars overtake a cyclists at a closer distance if they're wearing a helmet than if they're not - I guess it's a subconscious thing telling ourselves that they're safer so we can act riskier.
Compulsory helmets also see a considerable drop in people cycling (especially women) and a drop in bike theft
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Motorists: don't wear helmets in cars. If they wore helmets and five point harnesses they would be much safer in a crash. If they don't respect their own safety is it any wonder they only have contempt for everyone elses?

Personally I think it's the feeling of ownership given by driving around in a room, that you own, insulated from the world outside you, that makes everyone else's rights seem like an intrusion. The Jeremy brigade is essentially a bunch of old men beeping and shouting "get off my lawn!" at the rest of the world.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

f%~king storm: they came up to say my window had been broken.

Went down to look and not only the window but the entire rear door it was attached to on my car had been stove in by a flying slab.

If someone's head had stopped that they wouldn't be here now (so that should go in the rave I suppose).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:f%~king storm: they came up to say my window had been broken.

Went down to look and not only the window but the entire rear door it was attached to on my car had been stove in by a flying slab.

If someone's head had stopped that they wouldn't be here now (so that should go in the rave I suppose).
You need to buy a helmet - seriously.
BTW, sorry to hear about the car problem, can you claim against your insurance for something like that.
Last edited by Oldschool on September 19th, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hearing the indefensible being defended.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:f%~king storm: they came up to say my window had been broken.

You need to buy a helmet - seriously.
How would that have protected my car from being smashed?

Pedestrians: they need to get helmets, and get off my lawn while they are at it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote:Hearing the indefensible being defended.
No. I was hitting the open goal which is the Jeremy Whataboutery of the entitled car brigade. You know, the ones who kill people on the roads.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:
No. I was hitting the open goal which is the Jeremy Whataboutery of the entitled car brigade. You know, the ones who kill people on the roads.
You weren't tho, one of the main points in any safety course is "you are responsible for your own safety"
You know, those safety courses that employers spend a fortune on.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

A fortune? Last time I did it it was about 140 and it lasted 4 years. Costs a lot less than insurance.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
You weren't tho, one of the main points in any safety course is "you are responsible for your own safety"
You know, those safety courses that employers spend a fortune on.
Safe pass is (not without it's merits) an effort to pass risk and blame onto individuals in employ. Even if their superior instructs that person to do something stupid it's 50/50.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:Safe pass is (not without it's merits) an effort to pass risk and blame onto individuals in employ. Even if their superior instructs that person to do something stupid it's 50/50.
Yep. Even if it all it does is tell employees they don't have to risk their lives(however marginally) that they don't have to risk their lives to make a living it's doing their job. Job done!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Safe pass is (not without it's merits) an effort to pass risk and blame onto individuals in employ. Even if their superior instructs that person to do something stupid it's 50/50.
Yep. Even if it all it does is tell employees they don't have to risk their lives(however marginally) that they don't have to risk their lives to make a living it's doing their job. Job done!
In fairness to safepass, I wasn’t aware how hazardous trenches and holes were
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Compulsory swim hats!

Why do Irish swimming pools insist on swim hats? Is there something unique about pools in Ireland that does not affect the rest of the globe?

Does this phenomenon extend to NI? Are swimmers in Dundalk forcibly capped in latex while those in Newry allowed to swim without regulation headgear?

On the drivers vs riders standoff it strikes me that most cyclists also drive and many drivers also cycle. They are not two distinct groups so I struggle to understand the us and them approach here. There is something about driving that provokes aggression in some folks (mostly males) and rationality often takes a back seat.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

outcast eddie wrote:Compulsory swim hats!

Why do Irish swimming pools insist on swim hats? Is there something unique about pools in Ireland that does not affect the rest of the globe?

Does this phenomenon extend to NI? Are swimmers in Dundalk forcibly capped in latex while those in Newry allowed to swim without regulation headgear?

On the drivers vs riders standoff it strikes me that most cyclists also drive and many drivers also cycle. They are not two distinct groups so I struggle to understand the us and them approach here. There is something about driving that provokes aggression in some folks (mostly males) and rationality often takes a back seat.
Probably insurance related.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

paddyor wrote:

Probably insurance related.
I struggle to see how. Are swimming caps seen by swimming pool underwriters as some kind of risk mitigation?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Why do Irish swimming pools insist on swim hats? - i was told this was to stop hairs clogging the filters - as a gentlemen blessed to live with 4 ladies cleaning long hair from a plug hole is not a pleasant task

On the drivers vs riders standoff it strikes me that most cyclists also drive and many drivers also cycle. They are not two distinct groups so I struggle to understand the us and them approach here. - the issue here is that there is not enough room on the road - no hyperbole - I was very close to being killed while cycling to work about 18 months ago - in the first few weeks of being back in work I really paid attention to how cars and cyclists moved on the roads - Cyclists lack discipline in traffic and cars lack space and 360 vision. IMHO the cyclist lack of discipline is in a large part due to the different speeds that people cycle at the perception that cars are often seen as stationary obstacles - add this to the cycle lanes being far too small it's just a recipe for disaster.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

Don't listen to Fighting Talk on BBC Radio 5 on Saturday mornings, then! Actually do, it's brilliant.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It seems to affect the same drivers the same way when they're cycling.