Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: Friday's Rave

Postby paddyor » September 6th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Oldschool wrote:
johng wrote:Equity heavy pension funds have been going gangbusters for the last 10 years. Now is probably the time to move towards higher proportion of Property/Bonds/Cash though. Big correction coming. quite likely next year. Trump will be hoping its in 2021 though for obvious reasons.

My own pension fund would, sadly, disagree with you.
Gangbusters for who though?
Defined benefit is a thing of the past.
Defined contributions suggests that the risk has shifted and not to the benefit of the pensioner.
From my point of view, the rate of inflation should be negative.
This is based simplistically on the impact of technology on all aspects of cost.
Yet the CBs are in denial and actually have a target of +2% based on god knows what but certainly to allow countries to continue to borrow vast amounts of money seemingly regardless of the consequences.
Now I appreciate that there are enormous consequences for national economic management if it is accepted that the rate of inflation should be negative and not positive.
Incidentally, you say there's a downturn coming, will this be driven by the implosion of derivative trading and in particular German banks. I suppose that could be orchestrated to "take care" of the Trump problem.
(We should be careful what we wish for.)
Why do CBs allow gambling of this nature in the financial system.
Anyway I'm only having a rant.
Even if you tried to explain it to me I wouldn't get it.
I just look at my own (gradual) financial deterioration and realize it's because they're out to get me and I want to make it as difficult as possible for them to succeed.
I'm a firm believer in Phyric defeats.

CBs don't really allow it so to speak. They don't actually set the interest rates(beyond what they lend themselves), they offer credible guidance on what interest rates should be (e.g. irish bank rates). The problem is we have a global savings glut which is very risk averse and in the absense of any better ideas of how to deploy that capital the hedge funds step in....
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly

Re: Friday's Rave

Postby blockhead » September 8th, 2019, 11:42 am

The French stadium announcer plays Andorras anthem instead of Albania's and when he realises his mistake he apologises to Armenia. Brilliant! :lol:
https://www.the42.ie/france-albania-national-anthems-mistake-4800367-Sep2019/
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Previous

Return to General Chat