Booze

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Booze

Post by Leinsterman »

Trundled into the shop after work this evening and decided to get some Polish beer I hadn't tried before...

Bought a few bottles of Okocim - comes in 5.5% and 7% - hmmmm, the 7% stuff is only 20c dearer than the weaker stuff for a 500ml bottle (€2.69 compared to €2.89). I shall report back later when they have been consumed. :shock:

Meanwhile, perhaps this thread can be used for people to share their favourite tipples (Heineken is excused for obvious reasons).
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Booze

Post by Flash Gordon »

Leinsterman wrote:Trundled into the shop after work this evening and decided to get some Polish beer I hadn't tried before...

Bought a few bottles of Okocim - comes in 5.5% and 7% - hmmmm, the 7% stuff is only 20c dearer than the weaker stuff for a 500ml bottle (€2.69 compared to €2.89). I shall report back later when they have been consumed. :shock:

Meanwhile, perhaps this thread can be used for people to share their favourite tipples (Heineken is excused for obvious reasons).
Okocim is a good beer. Prefer the lighter version. My favourite beer is a tipple called Corsendonk from Belgium - come in light (Agnes) and dark (Pater), both come in at about 8.5% and are superb.

Nevada Pale Ale is another excellent brew available around Dublin. Went to a talk by renowned beer author and expert Roger Protz recently and described it as the best beer in the world.

However, in blind tests of 16 lagers in Ireland, the best tasting was, of course, Harp...... :D
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Flash Gordon wrote: However, in blind tests of 16 lagers in Ireland, the best tasting was, of course, Harp...... :D
Does the blindness kick in before or after drinking that swill?

I used to drink that muck in tins when I was unfortunate to live in Scumdalk for a while - merely because the Harpic Export was stronger and bizarrely - CHEAPER! :oops:

Leffe Blond is great stuff, as is Curim and Erdinger Weissbier or Kristalklar.
I've also developed a taste for Castle and if you chill Rolling Rock enough (stick the bottle in the freezer for an hour), it's barely palatable.

<whisper> The stuff in Lidl is quite good too - 6 500ml bottles for €6.99 but oh God, the hangover..... :oops:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Leinsterman wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: However, in blind tests of 16 lagers in Ireland, the best tasting was, of course, Harp...... :D

I used to drink that muck in tins when I was unfortunate to live in Scumdalk for a while - merely because the Harpic Export was stronger and bizarrely - CHEAPER! :oops:

I've also developed a taste for Castle and if you chill Rolling Rock enough (stick the bottle in the freezer for an hour), it's barely palatable.

<whisper> The stuff in Lidl is quite good too - 6 500ml bottles for €6.99 but oh God, the hangover..... :oops:
Harp is genuinely the best lager beer in Ireland! If you take the brand off and just test the liquid it performs best! The brand was badly focke dover in the 80's/early 90's, but is still number one in Gringo land.

Leffe's OK...the bruin isn't bad either. Spent 8 years in Belgium and was rarely in a bar without an extensive beer menu.....rolling rock was never on any of them..... :wink:
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Harp is genuinely the best lager beer in Ireland! If you take the brand off and just test the liquid it performs best! The brand was badly focke dover in the 80's/early 90's, but is still number one in Gringo land.

Leffe's OK...the bruin isn't bad either. Spent 8 years in Belgium and was rarely in a bar without an extensive beer menu.....rolling rock was never on any of them..... :wink:
Leffe's OK but nothing beats a few Chimay Reds
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ribs wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Leinsterman wrote: Does the blindness kick in before or after drinking that swill?

Leffe's OK but nothing beats a few Chimay Reds
Good call Ribs.....in facta....I have a Chimay Blue in my beer fridge now.....hmmmm......later boys! :wink:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Went to a talk by renowned beer author and expert Roger Protz recently and described it as the best beer in the world.
who described it ?you or he ?? 8)
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

I found the perfect one for you, LM. A nice little German beer called Shisstoppe.

The brewery is owned by the crowd that make Immodium.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Crash wrote:I found the perfect one for you, LM. A nice little German beer called Shisstoppe.

You're a funny guy Crash. And as I'm laughing, I'm sitting here with your three tickets for Toulouse in my hand! :x
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

Leinsterman wrote:
Crash wrote:I found the perfect one for you, LM. A nice little German beer called Shisstoppe.

You're a funny guy Crash. And as I'm laughing, I'm sitting here with your three tickets for Toulouse in my hand! :x
And I'm sitting here with the money for them. :wink:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Pfffft! I'll be able to get rid of them easily enough.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Stick mostly to the H Bomb myself. Especially cool if you make the drop goal symbol with your hands whilst you shout out your order.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

What with all this beer talk.....
Best tipple? - whiskey of course!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Eve wrote:What with all this beer talk.....
Gotta be Hennessy for a hip flask.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Irish or Scottish uisce beatha or Yankee bourbon though.....
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

That's more like it :D
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Leinsterman wrote:
Irish or Scottish uisce beatha or Yankee bourbon though.....
Given the choice Irish....but in times of need....
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Gotta be Hennessy for a hip flask.
Hennessy is a cognac Duff...... you certainly don't deserve to drink it!
conman
Knowledgeable

Post by conman »

Leinsterman wrote: <whisper> The stuff in Lidl is quite good too - 6 500ml bottles for €6.99 but oh God, the hangover..... :oops:
Ah, Bergalder. Not a bad beer at all. I'm also a fan of Erdinger Kristalklar, but the Dunkel(dark beer) is nice too!

Aussie beer called Cooper's Pale Ale is nice, and it is naturally brewed. I always make a point of buying it when in Aussie pubs. I haven't seen it in offies though.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Leinsterman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Gotta be Hennessy for a hip flask.
Hennessy is a cognac Duff...... you certainly don't deserve to drink it!
I am well aware of that Mr.I'm the dope who buys Moet in Leggs. Nice bottle of Hen dog sitting in my drinks cabinet waiting for a good airing ahead of the match this Saturday.