UCD or Trinity

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

cj
Graduate

Re: Trinity

Post by cj »

I did ORTS in UCD. BA Hons Intl (French and Italian). Worked my focking tail off and when I compared notes with mates doing similar language degrees in TCD, they werent' covering half as much ground as the UCD languages/humanities departments.[/quote]

Not sure if your comparison is fair or not, but my mum went back and did French with Irish as a mature student in UCD - she found it very very difficult, the French dept. are meant to be particularly uncompromising pricks in there. So French certainly doesn't sound easy. My mate also does Italian in UCD with Commerce - he gets high II.1s and 1sts in Commerce and struggles to pass Italian.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: league tables, affluence etc...

Post by Flash Gordon »

cj wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: All the lads from all the big rugby schools go to UCD. Same for all the girls fee paying southside schools. Have a quick look at the CV's of the lads running all the big legal firms, banks, insurance companies, the top consultants, the top barristers, judges, the head of science foundation Ireland, all the Irish engineering companies...
I can vouch for that, I went to UCD and Andrews......oh.... hang on..... :roll:

PS Shut it CKav...... :lol:

I was an Andrew's boy too - didn't realise we were so well-represented on this board! What year did u graduate?
Yep, we talk a good game but can't play for shoite, that's why we're on the boards..... :lol:

Graduation? Before you..... :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Flash Gordon wrote:
cj wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I can vouch for that, I went to UCD and Andrews......oh.... hang on..... :roll:

PS Shut it CKav...... :lol:

I was an Andrew's boy too - didn't realise we were so well-represented on this board! What year did u graduate?
Yep, we talk a good game but can't play for shoite, that's why we're on the boards..... :lol:

U an old man?!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cj wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
cj wrote:

U an old man?!
You have no idea :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

cj wrote:
cj wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: CJ - I've got a Ph.D. and I've been in academia for 9 years now including my primary degree. If you got higher points than me in the leaving, then you're doing very well.

Next!

Right back at ya buddy. What did u get?

Ok Duffster if you're not willing to be the one to say what points u got, I'll tell u mine first: 575.
I'm not getting into a mickey waving competition, suffice to say that I already said you'd be doing very well if you got higher than me - I told you that I had a Ph.D. so you'd realise that I'm in the university system and therefore know what I'm talking about.
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Duff Paddy wrote:
cj wrote:
cj wrote:

Ok Duffster if you're not willing to be the one to say what points u got, I'll tell u mine first: 575.
I'm not getting into a mickey waving competition, suffice to say that I already said you'd be doing very well if you got higher than me - I told you that I had a Ph.D. so you'd realise that I'm in the university system and therefore know what I'm talking about.
You were the one that accused me of not knowing what I was talking about! And the fact that you're finishing a PhD/are an academic in UCD makes you even more likely to be blinded by your bias - I'm sure Trinity academics would be equally biased. Leave this debate to the undergrads and people not pursuing a career in either UCD or Trinity!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Duff Paddy wrote:
cj wrote:
cj wrote:

You could have sold tickets for charity :lol:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I've already got my Ph.D.

Of course I'm biased! Know a few doing Ph.D.'s in Trinity, there's really no comparison in my particular field but the points of discussion are:

1) Who's got the better looking girls?
2) Who's got the better rugby team?
3) Who's got more money?
4) Who's alumni are really running this country?

Answers on a postcard.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Lads, since the posters on this board are almost always right, i think it is safe to say that because the majority of us think UCD is better, it is. This can not be disputed :D
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:You could have sold tickets for charity :lol:
Are you saying my mickey is a charity case?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

UCD smells of pee pee
I have Bumbleflex
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:You could have sold tickets for charity :lol:
Are you saying my mickey is a charity case?
I don't concern myself with insignificant items :lol:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TCD smells of pooh
I have Bumbleflex
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

cj wrote:I did ORTS in UCD. BA Hons Intl (French and Italian). Worked my focking tail off and when I compared notes with mates doing similar language degrees in TCD, they werent' covering half as much ground as the UCD languages/humanities departments.
Not sure if your comparison is fair or not, but my mum went back and did French with Irish as a mature student in UCD - she found it very very difficult, the French dept. are meant to be particularly uncompromising pricks in there. So French certainly doesn't sound easy. My mate also does Italian in UCD with Commerce - he gets high II.1s and 1sts in Commerce and struggles to pass Italian.[/quote]

Fair enough CJ - means that I lucked out on my choice of double major!! Doh!

ps Yes, absolutely right on the French Dept at UCD. Hard as nails....
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

ckav wrote:
cj wrote:I did ORTS in UCD. BA Hons Intl (French and Italian). Worked my focking tail off and when I compared notes with mates doing similar language degrees in TCD, they werent' covering half as much ground as the UCD languages/humanities departments.
Not sure if your comparison is fair or not, but my mum went back and did French with Irish as a mature student in UCD - she found it very very difficult, the French dept. are meant to be particularly uncompromising pricks in there. So French certainly doesn't sound easy. My mate also does Italian in UCD with Commerce - he gets high II.1s and 1sts in Commerce and struggles to pass Italian.

Fair enough CJ - means that I lucked out on my choice of double major!! Doh!

ps Yes, absolutely right on the French Dept at UCD. Hard as nails....[/quote]

Might have been a bad choice alright CKAV! From everything I hear those subjects are very difficult in UCD, whereas almost every other course (Law, Commerce, Arts generally etc...) gives you a 1st if you're remotely intelligent and have done even a modicum of work. I suppose the fact that UCD degrees are usually only 3 years in length means they're a bit more intensive to compensate - in some subjects anyway!
Ray Mc
Learner

Re: UCD or Trinity

Post by Ray Mc »

!!
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

As an ORTS graduate, may I clarify what I think is a misapprehension here.

The ORTS faculty has something like 15000 first year places, all told. Thast's why points for it are lower than for similar courses in other Universities. It's a common failing of the system we have, that the higher the points, the "harder" the course. The only reason the Points system exists in its current format, is to keep numbers down to manageable levels within a faculty. for example, the intake of first year dental students into TCD is something like 80. They simply don't have the facilities or the expertise to take on any more students. Demand for the course is high, so it's filtered out by means of how many points you get. The highest points-scorer dictates the benchmark.

to say that ARTS :wink: is a hopeless or rubbish faculty at UCD, is facetious and un-informed.[/quote]

First year Dentistry in Trinners would take about 30 Leaving Cert. Balance (up to 40-45) would be mature or overseas students.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I miss Leinsterman :(
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

One thread. So much cringe.