Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Could be wrong on this but given that it's Ryanair they probably keep the air warm so that you spend more on drinks and so that they can use the sweat you leave on the seat to wash away stains instead of having to spend money cleaning it.
Little known fact, the heat is kept on a Ryanair plane is used to evaporate the sweat. The sweat vapour is actually captured by the ventilation system and served as coffee
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

How pretentious is the Diet coke ad?
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:How pretentious is the Diet coke ad?
You really needed to include anyone but LRIP on this?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:People watch ads?
On the evidence above, we know of 1 person.
I think we are up to 4 or 5 by now
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not seen it but is it Lloyd Cole and the Comotions level of pretentiousness?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Listening through the morning to some US and most European political commentators trying to explain how Trump "lost" the mid-term elections is priceless. Trump targeted specific States and particular Senate seats and either retained or won 85% of those (according to BBC).

Like or not (and I don't) it has got to be acknowledged he is a very successful vote getter.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Listening through the morning to some US and most European political commentators trying to explain how Trump "lost" the mid-term elections is priceless. Trump targeted specific States and particular Senate seats and either retained or won 85% of those (according to BBC).

Like or not (and I don't) it has got to be acknowledged he is a very successful vote getter.
Obama did far worse in his first mid term. TDS in effect this morning for sure.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Listening through the morning to some US and most European political commentators trying to explain how Trump "lost" the mid-term elections is priceless. Trump targeted specific States and particular Senate seats and either retained or won 85% of those (according to BBC).

Obama did far worse in his first mid term. TDS in effect this morning for sure.
Doing my best trying not to be triumphalist but the hoped for meltdown didn't occur.
With Triumph it's a case of glass empty or glass full for most people it seems. It's far more complicated than that.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

But the Democrats performance during Obama's years were disastrous. The republicans did around as badly as expected. When the election season began the Democrats were all talk about winning the Senate but nobody has said that for quite some time now.

But make no mistake: the republicans lost one of the houses last night. There's no amount of spinning from "magic ears" to cover over the fact that one party rule which has been in effect for the last couple of years has just ended in the US.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:But the Democrats performance during Obama's years were disastrous. The republicans did around as badly as expected. When the election season began the Democrats were all talk about winning the Senate but nobody has said that for quite some time now.

But make no mistake: the republicans lost one of the houses last night. There's no amount of spinning from "magic ears" to cover over the fact that one party rule which has been in effect for the last couple of years has just ended in the US.
Very true and what are we reading about what the Democrats are going to do with their majority.
They are going to go after Trump on a personal level.
Whatever happened to doing what they are elected to do.
Mind you they are politicians after all so why would anyone be surprised.
You can throw the Republicans into that pot too btw.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Yeah but only a 3rd of the senate seats are up in any election and the way the chips fell this time the democrats were up against it to pick up seats

2 of them(Misouri and North Dakota) are solidly red states and the a bit like Doug Jones beating the pedo in Alabama last year it had a lot do with terrible candidates for the GOP. I think the Missouri one had ideas about "legitimate rape".

The only mitigating factor is that incumbents tend to not do well in mid terms. But at the same time Democrats tend not to turn out to vote for them and the economy is doing incredibly well(and IMO is at the wrong part of the cycle for someone seeking re-election in 2 years) so it's really not a great showing. The big pick-up is the Senate seat in Florida but that's more due to the popular 2 term governor Rick Scott. In places where he did intervene (particularly in Primaries for more Trumpy candidates) solid R consituencies flipped. I think he lost 7 of 8 of the rsut belt governorships and a rake of house seats where his majority was waiver thin to begin with.

It's not the blue wave that some thought it might be, largely IMO due to the shitshow the Dems made of Kavanaughs hearing but his legislative agenda is largely dead. without the house. There's another problem too in that the GOP is now more Steve King than Barbara Comstock. He's lost the RINOs and if that continues then the trend in Texas and Tennesse is likely to if not accelerate than at least continue.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

FLIP wrote:Obama did far worse in his first mid term. TDS in effect this morning for sure.
That was after a very slow recovery where people were dropping out of the work force and a massively unpopular bailout. The economy is booming and has been for about 8 years.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Could be wrong on this but given that it's Ryanair they probably keep the air warm so that you spend more on drinks and so that they can use the sweat you leave on the seat to wash away stains instead of having to spend money cleaning it.
Little known fact, the heat is kept on a Ryanair plane is used to evaporate the sweat. The sweat vapour is actually captured by the ventilation system and served as coffee
If you're up for starting the new Info Wars with me then just let me know...but not on here because the dems read all the PMs.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:
You really needed to include anyone but LRIP on this?
I'm sick of being bullied just because I was too lazy to put the kettle on or go to the jacks during one stupid ad break during a live match. TOTAL WITCH HUNT!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He is, and someone on CNN said that once you get one side to mobilise their supporters in the way that the Democrats did then you're going to get a reaction from the other side too, which is something I didn't expect given the echo chamber that I operate in when it comes to American politics. His point was basically that there would be a backlash to the ruling party if there was a recession or something along those lines, but when it seems to be more about party versus party as opposed to the issues (or at least that's how the Republicans could spin it a lot of the time) then people will make sure to fight back.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

He is, and someone on CNN said that once you get one side to mobilise their supporters in the way that the Democrats did then you're going to get a reaction from the other side too, which is something I didn't expect given the echo chamber that I operate in when it comes to American politics. His point was basically that there would be a backlash to the ruling party if there was a recession or something along those lines, but when it seems to be more about party versus party as opposed to the issues (or at least that's how the Republicans could spin it a lot of the time) then people will make sure to fight back.
They sure did: his party lost congress and a bunch of governorships. They did maintain control of the Senate (as expected, and frankly given the demographics of the states the disconnect between the senate and the votes of the people is set to continue and even get worse), but overall they were pretty big losers last night. I mean, they had it to lose. But they did go out and lose. And they lost it when economic recovery is finally reaching wages (which was really slow happening), which is pretty poor vote getting.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I get what you mean, but I was still surprised at the way the senate went. Like I said, maybe that's because of the echo chamber I'm in but for the last few weeks I've seen so many democrat politicians, celebs, journalists etc telling people to get out and vote, my Twitter feed last night seemed to indicate a blue wave at first, and CNN seemed to be expecting that too in the build up, whereas the main thing I saw to counter all that was just what Trump was saying and the high profile visits by his family. Even just the number of absentee votes that were sent in early made me think that the democrats would be in great shape.

To not manage that feels like a big disappointment even if the House did go well, and it sounds like the big huge number of new voters weren't just Democrats who kicked into action but Republicans who were triggered too. Trump did well to manage that to be fair to him.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The biggest positive from this election is me learning to mute my phone and leave it downstairs when im heading to bed.

Merica is f%~ked. The next 24 months is going to see them achieve and progress nothing. One hand of government will devout it's time to suing the other.
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yeah I get what you mean, but I was still surprised at the way the senate went. Like I said, maybe that's because of the echo chamber I'm in but for the last few weeks I've seen so many democrat politicians, celebs, journalists etc telling people to get out and vote, my Twitter feed last night seemed to indicate a blue wave at first, and CNN seemed to be expecting that too in the build up, whereas the main thing I saw to counter all that was just what Trump was saying and the high profile visits by his family. Even just the number of absentee votes that were sent in early made me think that the democrats would be in great shape.

To not manage that feels like a big disappointment even if the House did go well, and it sounds like the big huge number of new voters weren't just Democrats who kicked into action but Republicans who were triggered too. Trump did well to manage that to be fair to him.
538 website yesterday morning was giving the Democrats only a 12% chance of winning the Senate, while they were forecasting a 87% chance of them winning the House.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/1 ... t-coke-ad/

Like all the best satire this is almost believable.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish