for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:As well as this, even though they clear and grit the roads etc, all cars (in Sweden anyway) have to have winter tyres when driving in these conditions.
Nothing stopping everyone getting winter tyres. Personally I think that any person complaining about the lack of snow preparedness of the country in the media should be pre-screened by asking them if they have them on their car. And if not told to STFU.

But that's just me.
If your referring to me then, yes I do.
When Jesus uttered the famous and oft repeated phrase "Let he is who is without sin, cast the first stone",
It is believed that the Holy Mary picked up a stone and fired (threw) it at the sinner"
Jesus, not best pleased, is believed to have admonished his mother rebuking her thus "Ah ma, do you have to be such a holier than thou?"
To which, as only a mother can, she responded "You're no one to talk!"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote: But that's just me.
If your referring to me then, yes I do.[/quote]

I genuinely wasn't referring to you so sorry about that.

That said, were I the gatekeeper to the media, and you wished to ring up Joe Duffy to complain about this you would have passed my test so fire away complaining. That said, this is the rant thread so I don't think we are required to have clean hands here.
paddyor wrote: People without cars or who use public transport?
Fair point, but the buses ran pretty well as usual in these circumstances. They'd run better if people didn't strand cars.

The Luas is an expensive joke about which don't get me started.

As for people walking, cycling, using wheelchairs, or with limited mobility: they are always last in the queue all day every day rain, hail. or snow. No attempt is made to keep (parked) cars off the pavement, off the clearways, off the cycle lanes etc. in most of the city. So the complete lack of evidence of the pavements or what passes for cycle lanes being made safe in the city during inclement weather is merely the continuation of everyday policy.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on March 8th, 2018, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:Fair point, but the buses ran pretty well as usual in these circumstances. They'd run better if people didn't strand cars.

As for people walking, cycling, using wheelchairs, or with limited mobility: they are always last in the queue all day every day rain, hail. or snow. No attempt is made to keep (parked) cars off the pavement, off the clearways, off the cycle lanes etc. in most of the city. So the complete lack of evidence of the pavements or what passes for cycle lanes being made safe in the city during inclement weather is merely the continuation of everyday policy.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Around my area a lot of people cleared a sliver of path on the path outside about a 1.5 ft wide. It was still like that Sunday evening in places. You could reduce that with a broadcast(PS I'm not entirely sure where all the snow goes but it doesn't seem like that much more). Also if you make plans to get roads back open it will lead you to make plans better for the less able.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Post match interviews.

1) "You had a great game today"
"Everyone else did the hard work, I'm an irrelevance"

2) After a 40 point win..."It was a really tough game out there, credit to X for putting it up to us"

3) And the IRFU's speciality..."Are you enjoying playing for Ireland"....
"Oh yes, the lads are all very nice and the fans and corporate sponsors are wonderful"
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

paddyor wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Fair point, but the buses ran pretty well as usual in these circumstances. They'd run better if people didn't strand cars.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Around my area a lot of people cleared a sliver of path on the path outside about a 1.5 ft wide. It was still like that Sunday evening in places. You could reduce that with a broadcast(PS I'm not entirely sure where all the snow goes but it doesn't seem like that much more). Also if you make plans to get roads back open it will lead you to make plans better for the less able.
I’m in New England.
Here home owners and businesses are responsible for clearing the path outside their house within 24hours or they’re liable for accidents.
An unhappy side effect is that new construction often doesn’t include footpaths so we don’t have to bother shoveling.

And as a rant, housing developments here aren’t required to have a common green space. So the kids have to get shuttled to a park to play instead of being walked down to the green.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Post match interviews.

1) "You had a great game today"
"Everyone else did the hard work, I'm an irrelevance"

2) After a 40 point win..."It was a really tough game out there, credit to X for putting it up to us"

3) And the IRFU's speciality..."Are you enjoying playing for Ireland"....
"Oh yes, the lads are all very nice and the fans and corporate sponsors are wonderful"
I find mid-match interviews worse. Talking to a coach while he's trying to do his job and watch his team
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

April Fool's Day. Irish media are unfunny and mean
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Jayus, between Israel Folau and PJ - its getting very heavy here
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The weird nomenclature relating to the provincial organisations. Leinster Rugby, Munster Rugby, Connacht Rugby, Ulster Branch.
Very Pre-Good Friday Agreement.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The new Radion Nova breakfast show, so bad, so very, very bad.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Just......people in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Kanye
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dublin Airport and Automatic Passport Machines.
Signs in Irish.
Hellloooo - Dublin is an international airport.
Most of the indigenous population don't speak Irish (let's not sliit hairs)and the visiting foreigners definitely don't.
Most of them will have a working knowledge of English.
These are customers - Custoner comes first anyone.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Let's not split hairs - Irish is one of our national languages. It makes me immensely proud to see it maintained, displayed and used whether it be official or otherwise. Global cultural whitewashing is a big problem and one that Ireland is not immune to - Language is at the heart of cultural preservation and development and is something we should cherish.

Anyway - are the signs not also in English for you?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:Dublin Airport and Automatic Passport Machines.
I used this recently and there was barely anyone to help people do it and it caused awful problems. I thought it was very simple, just make sure you keep your passport pressed into the machine until you're cleared to go and you're fine, but people kept messing it up. If they just had someone shouting that that's what you had to do then there would have been very few issues.

Same goes for the self tagging machines that Aer Lingus brought in a couple of years ago. It just led to people wandering around not knowing what to do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I used this recently and there was barely anyone to help people do it and it caused awful problems. I thought it was very simple, just make sure you keep your passport pressed into the machine until you're cleared to go and you're fine, but people kept messing it up. If they just had someone shouting that that's what you had to do then there would have been very few issues.

Same goes for the self tagging machines that Aer Lingus brought in a couple of years ago. It just led to people wandering around not knowing what to do.
Wouldn't work, they'd be shouting in Irish.
I reckon they've about ten scanners.
Assign one to the Irish speakers with it's own signage.
Set the rest up in English for the remaining overwhelming majority.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

It's not hard lads - passport photo side down, feet on the feet spots, look at the camera screen. I never had to read an instruction to get it working and it works every time.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Did you miss the bit where I said I found it simple?

Unfortunately, most people struggled. The main problem was that they thought nothing was happening because it's quite slow, so they took their passports out and had to start again. A lot of people were standing at the machine with their passport in the air waiting for help, but there wasn't any. Regardless of how simple it should be, when that situation is happening they should have more people in place to help with it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Wouldn't work, they'd be shouting in Irish.
I reckon they've about ten scanners.
Assign one to the Irish speakers with it's own signage.
Set the rest up in English for the remaining overwhelming majority.
The signage business would collapse overnight if you had your way Oldschool.
I wonder how many extra hospital beds we could have if we stopped pandering to the cúpla focail nazi's.
Signs in Polish would be of more benefit.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote: The signage business would collapse overnight if you had your way Oldschool.
I wonder how many extra hospital beds we could have if we stopped pandering to the cúpla focail nazi's.
Signs in Polish would be of more benefit.
You sound like Arlene Foster.
The signs in Irish are for everyone, and not just people with "the cúpla focal".
Considering most signs in Irish are in english too, I doubt it would provide for a whole lot of extra hospital beds. I wonder how many we would have if we stopped pandering to the sports nazis though.