Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Re: Friday's rant

Post by tomthefan »

In a manner of speaking yes, why do you think people waste their time on internet forums?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

A republican US supreme court with its newest member emphasising his partisanship throughout his appointment process is pretty sh!t.
Corporations now know that the just need to money their legal challenges until they reach their buddies un the Supreme Court.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

So the UN issued a paper yesterday to map out humanity's current path to extinction due to our affect on the Earth. 12 years of a window of opportunity to keep the global average temperature rise to between 1.5 and 2.5 degC.

Did anyone see anything about this in the media?
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:So the UN issued a paper yesterday to map out humanity's current path to extinction due to our affect on the Earth. 12 years of a window of opportunity to keep the global average temperature rise to between 1.5 and 2.5 degC.

Vaguely remember seeing something about this but it's probably a load of bull anyway.
What I mean by that is what is being done about it in Ireland specifically.
There is no joined up thinking just BS.
A couple of examples.
A friend of mine bought a fixer upper recently.
Wanted to provide for the retro fit of a water heated solar panel ie a suitable immersion tank.
Every plumber he talked just wanted to install a combination boiler and weren't interested/didn't know how to do the required installation.
You're left wondering why is this planet saving potential contribution just simply ignored by the industry and the government.
Why isn't it a planning requirement for new properties for example. This would drive the knowledge requirement obviously lacking.
The second issue is to do with water resource management.
In Belgium, all new housing must include, as part of the planning permission, provision for rainwater collection, storage and reuse.
So basically a large underground storage tank(5000 ltr)
is used to collect rainwater.
A simple pump system is then used to provide water for toilets and washing machines.
Of course water charges make it financially attractive anyway to install these systems.
What have we done about this sort of thing, sfa.
I personally have three 200l water butts but that was a personal decision.
There is no compulsion or incentive for the private citizen. Business, who pay water charges may be incentivused to collect rainwater but you'd wonder.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:So the UN issued a paper yesterday to map out humanity's current path to extinction due to our affect on the Earth. 12 years of a window of opportunity to keep the global average temperature rise to between 1.5 and 2.5 degC.

Vaguely remember seeing something about this but it's probably a load of bull anyway.
What I mean by that is what is being done about it in Ireland specifically.
There is no joined up thinking just BS.
A couple of examples.
A friend of mine bought a fixer upper recently.
Wanted to provide for the retro fit of a water heated solar panel ie a suitable immersion tank.
Every plumber he talked just wanted to install a combination boiler and weren't interested/didn't know how to do the required installation.
You're left wondering why is this planet saving potential contribution just simply ignored by the industry and the government.
Why isn't it a planning requirement for new properties for example. This would drive the knowledge requirement obviously lacking.
The second issue is to do with water resource management.
In Belgium, all new housing must include, as part of the planning permission, provision for rainwater collection, storage and reuse.
So basically a large underground storage tank(5000 ltr)
is used to collect rainwater.
A simple pump system is then used to provide water for toilets and washing machines.
Of course water charges make it financially attractive anyway to install these systems.
What have we done about this sort of thing, sfa.
I personally have three 200l water butts but that was a personal decision.
There is no compulsion or incentive for the private citizen. Business, who pay water charges may be incentivused to collect rainwater but you'd wonder.
New builds here in NI have had to have solar or other eco friendly system included for quite a while now.
Solar water heating systems require a hot water tank with 2 coils, one for fuel and the other for the solar, plus they are normally bigger so as to hold more warm water to make better use of the solar, all simple to fit in a new build but can be complex and expensive as a retro fit. Not all plumbers will tackle retrofit as it is very hard to give a fixed price as all sorts of difficulties can arise according to building structure.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lads, the biggest trick that has been played here is to have the regular joe convinced that it's his responsibility to make the changes required to turn this around. Joe has a part to play alright but 100 corporations are responsible for 70% of greenhouse gas emissions.
Single use plastic straws being banned is great, but real regulation is required and lobbyists decoupled from the establishment.
We still have fuckling turf power stations in this country because the government is afraid of an unemployment risk in the midlands.
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Mobile Phone manufacturers removing headphone slots to make you buy USB-C or Bluetooth headphones.

It's such an anti consumer action.

Mostly getting annoyed at this now thanks to the new One Plus 6T not having one, and them being my go to manufacturer for the last few years. Now I'll have to find someone else.
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

FLIP wrote:Mobile Phone manufacturers removing headphone slots to make you buy USB-C or Bluetooth headphones.

Mostly getting annoyed at this now thanks to the new One Plus 6T not having one, and them being my go to manufacturer for the last few years. Now I'll have to find someone else.
Agreed. I'm eyeing up the Honor Play or Honor 8X instead of OnePlus for that reason. The cost difference is hard to ignore too.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:Mobile Phone manufacturers removing headphone slots to make you buy USB-C or Bluetooth headphones.

Bizzare move from one plus
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Splash pout on Bose supersport bluetooth headphones. Don't break like normal headphones. Sorted!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't have those headphones but I'd highly recommend Bose. Great quality but also great customer service once you've suffered the usual wear and tear with that kind of stuff.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I might just be thick and be missing the point of it but I really don't get that Virgin ad about Bigfoot and it really annoys me every time I hear it.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

But you still wish you had one
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

paddyor wrote:

Splash pout on Bose supersport bluetooth headphones. Don't break like normal headphones. Sorted!
But they do run out of battery :)
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

jimbobjoe wrote:

Agreed. I'm eyeing up the Honor Play or Honor 8X instead of OnePlus for that reason. The cost difference is hard to ignore too.
Went for the Moto G6 myself. 200quid, can't argue with that. Does have USB-C, but I think the G6 Play has a normal mini-USB
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Laighin Break wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:

Went for the Moto G6 myself. 200quid, can't argue with that. Does have USB-C, but I think the G6 Play has a normal mini-USB
But it also has a headphone socket
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Sure does. Another handy thing about the headphone socket is that it works as an antenna for the radio.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Laighin Break wrote:Sure does. Another handy thing about the headphone socket is that it works as an antenna for the radio.
Another handy thing which many phones don't have..... FM Radio.

App radio is ok but there is a time lag, and it doesn't work well in a crowd, and you can't use it to listen to the ref mike.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I might just be thick and be missing the point of it but I really don't get that Virgin ad about Bigfoot and it really annoys me every time I hear it.
Update: Saw the TV version last night and now I get it but it just makes the radio version even worse...and the TV one is awful anyway.