Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:A physical act of foul play is in the moment and targeted at 1 player.
Doping is premeditated cheating in every game and training session. It is on the books as being one of the most serious offences (see ban periods) and to actively pursue the course of doping is a choice made everyday not just in the moment.
That and it is cheating on your team mates who will be hurt most by your actions.
I have a vague recollection of a professional soccer player having his leg broken and career ended by a well known ex Irish international.
Lack of intent is not ruled out in violent acts either.
While acting within the laws Murray was targeted last season by Scottish players targeting his non kicking leg and putting his physical health at risk.
Your Intent (in the moment) argument is not really valid.
Chopper Harris Norman bite your legs
At what point do i mention intent?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:A physical act of foul play is in the moment and targeted at 1 player.
Doping is premeditated cheating in every game and training session. It is on the books as being one of the most serious offences (see ban periods) and to actively pursue the course of doping is a choice made everyday not just in the moment.
That and it is cheating on your team mates who will be hurt most by your actions.
I have a vague recollection of a professional soccer player having his leg broken and career ended by a well known ex Irish international.
Lack of intent is not ruled out in violent acts either.
While acting within the laws Murray was targeted last season by Scottish players targeting his non kicking leg and putting his physical health at risk.
Your Intent (in the moment) argument is not really valid.
Chopper Harris Norman bite your legs
At what point do i mention intent?
You didn't mention intent but you implied no intent (in the moment), I'm merely pointing out that intent can be and has been present.
Rugby authorities are actually trying to impose a penalty on players for acting "in the moment" (never mind with intent) to inflict physical damage.
YCs abound for a lot of "in the moment" physical acts because of the dangerous nature of these acts and the potential long term damage to individuals.
The concern regarding the long term damage due to concussion is top of the list and rightly so, high tackles (concussion). Flip tackles and the potential for serious neck injury (paralysis) is another huge area of scrutiny and again rightly so.
Personally I'd far sooner see somebody done for that sort of thing than for drug cheating because the effect is immediate, personal and long term damage.
Drugs aren't just an issue for one sport, they are a national problem and that is not to minimize drug cheats or anything to do with illegal drug activity.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

The casual rugby fan who watches maybe the AIs and 6N who thinks all the outhalf does is kick points. If we lose it's always Johnny's fault. Jog on!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FlyBe. Firstly they delay my flight meaning I almost miss the last train home, but then when boarding, all of a sudden my bag (travelled many times with them with no issues) is deemed too big for the cabin. Then I get home.. and they've stolen my Nintendo Switch out of my bag.

Fuming!
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

James Ryan, spent his whole life training hard and dreaming of playing for Leinster and now now that dream is being stolen from him by Joe Schmidt
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:James Ryan, spent his whole life training hard and dreaming of playing for Leinster and now now that dream is being stolen from him by Joe Schmidt
:happy clapper:
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Brexiters about to try to collapse the good Friday agreement just to get past this obstacle. Is there any moral fibre on their being?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

ribs wrote:Brexiters about to try to collapse the good Friday agreement just to get past this obstacle. Is there any moral fibre on their being?
The quitling mentality couldn't care less about Ireland, and I think that the DUP in particular would love for this to happen anyway.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Bruce Campbell IFI gig being sold out before you can get tickets
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Me. The I in Ian.

I am a sucker.

Every year I watch the Brits and say never again.

But guess what here I am again. It is a review of the year but everyone is singing new material again.

Hardly recognized Little Mix. They were nearly dressed and not in their underware.

Jack Whitehall can't even read an auto cue.

Wanna know the worst part?

Will probably watch till the end anyway. I am that guy.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Clare Balding presenting the Winter Olympic coverage on BBC.... :cry:
Dont Panic!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dexter wrote:Clare Balding presenting the Winter Olympic coverage on BBC.... :cry:
Do yourself a favour and switch to Eurosport, much better coverage and little to no British cheerleading
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Focking schools closed tomorrow! I know this isn't normal weather, but the absense of preparedness by the councils is desperate. There should be round the clock snow clearing going on, local builder & farmer lists should be in place for contract clearance. Pathways AND roadways should be clear by now.
Businesses have lost enough productive time and critical & healthcare operations are still struggling with staff ability to travel.

Not good enough.
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:Focking schools closed tomorrow! I know this isn't normal weather, but the absense of preparedness by the councils is desperate. There should be round the clock snow clearing going on, local builder & farmer lists should be in place for contract clearance. Pathways AND roadways should be clear by now.
Businesses have lost enough productive time and critical & healthcare operations are still struggling with staff ability to travel.

Not good enough.
Really? Jaysus. That's terrible. I'm not in the "We can't a handle any snow it's a joke" brigade (good twitter thread on it here), but I do think the govt could've managed this better.

Extreme weather events will always be a problem for a country with such a temperate climate but we should at least be able to mitigate the effects so that the country isn't effectively shut down. It smacks of laziness tbh. It was easier to just let it happen than plan for it.

EDIT: To back up Peg Leg re local builders. My mams neighbour cleared her country road with a JCB such that by Friday afternoon it was passable with just slush. It's doable.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

As well as this, even though they clear and grit the roads etc, all cars (in Sweden anyway) have to have winter tyres when driving in these conditions.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Laighin Break wrote:As well as this, even though they clear and grit the roads etc, all cars (in Sweden anyway) have to have winter tyres when driving in these conditions.
I think we get it just about bang on. Now, 2010ish and 1982 are the only extreme snow events to hit this county in a very long time. We shouldn't waste money, time and resources planning for something that happens once in a generation, only lasts a few days and is considered by most people as a great bit of craic.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Laighin Break wrote:As well as this, even though they clear and grit the roads etc, all cars (in Sweden anyway) have to have winter tyres when driving in these conditions.
Nothing stopping everyone getting winter tyres. Personally I think that any person complaining about the lack of snow preparedness of the country in the media should be pre-screened by asking them if they have them on their car. And if not told to STFU.

But that's just me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Nothing stopping everyone getting winter tyres. Personally I think that any person complaining about the lack of snow preparedness of the country in the media should be pre-screened by asking them if they have them on their car. And if not told to STFU.

But that's just me.
If your referring to me then, yes I do.
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:

But that's just me.
People without cars or who use public transport?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

People who want the "nanny" state to do everything for them.

Not a lot of people know this but once upon a time, a labourer had to supply his own shovel when he went to work.
A slightly modified extract from "Don't Forget Your Shovel"
"Don't forget your shovel before you go to work!"
Di liddle Dum.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.