Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Friday's rant

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:
FLIP wrote:
cormac wrote:The thought of the DUP holding the balance of power at Westminster
Better that than the Anti-Semite party leading the UK. It's remarkable how many people will give up their principles for more free stuff.
Magnificent! I'd suggest some reading but your ignorance is a beautiful, unsullied thing. Don't go changing!

And keep reading the Daily Mail, it's great isn't it?
If you don't think the actions of the British Labour party, it's leader, and Momentum don't add up to institutionalised antisemitism you're the ignorant one. There's not even any reading required for you, just a basic ability to follow events and understand what has occurred.

Here's an easy one for you - the person bought on board to undertake an inquiry into anti-semitism in the Labour party was granted a Baroness title and joined the House of Lords for Labour, in what amounts to a very clear pat on the back for whitewashing Labour. And to make it easy for you, here is the event from a paper you no doubt think is quality: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ons-corbyn

Most of all, you don't actually live here. You only follow events through a filter of Irish media and politics and so you won't get a full picture of what happens.

Oh, and I don't read tabloids. :mullet 4:
Anyone But New Zealand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I guess I'm still not seeing it. Ken Livingston isn't the Labour party for one thing. But if they were as anti-semeitc as you're making out it would have been used relentlessly in this election campaign. I mean the tories pulled every smear and dirty trick they could think of and this wasn't one of them (as far as I know).

The DUP on the other hand are backed by known terrorists, accept money from shady middle east sources, hate gays, a woman's control over her body, nationalists and probably jews in no particular order. I just don't see your argument that you'd rather have them over the Labour crowd.

ps I didn't vote Labour, I just don't see your argument.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

domhnallj wrote:But if they were as anti-semeitc as you're making out it would have been used relentlessly in this election campaign.
You're working on the basis that they didn't just run possibly the worst campaign of modern times. Maybe if they weren't back pedaling for most of the election they may have used it. Or maybe focus groups showed that people didn't really care about it, which if true is disturbing.
Anyone But New Zealand
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

FLIP wrote:
domhnallj wrote:But if they were as anti-semeitc as you're making out it would have been used relentlessly in this election campaign.
You're working on the basis that they didn't just run possibly the worst campaign of modern times. Maybe if they weren't back pedaling for most of the election they may have used it. Or maybe focus groups showed that people didn't really care about it, which if true is disturbing.
Why do you believe they're anti semetic? Can you point to something that demonstrates it?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

CiaranIrl wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Why do you believe they're anti semetic? Can you point to something that demonstrates it?
Plenty of stuff to get your teeth into in the previous posts, or just see what any anti Corbyn labour mp gets accused of being on Twitter by Momentum members.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sist ... 0?mode=amp

Becythe Catholic Church has such a goof track record on the protection of innocents.

This cr@p makes by blood boil, their lack of self awareness is almost visible
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/late ... 50809.html

This happened way too close to home.

Guys, think very long and hard before cycling on the roads in Dublin. I was wearing a hi viz jacket, gloves and a helmet and was very very lucky to walk away from an accident with a broken wrist (me being knocked from my bike by a car).

I've passed the scene since and I reckon I was inches from hitting the wall at about 20 kph - it really could have been an awful lot worse. To compound it when the driver got out he said "I didn't even see you." I'm 6 feet tall and 20 stone in a bright red jacket perched atop a fvkin bicycle ffs.

Will this city ever wake up to the fact that sharing a road between cyclists and four wheel death machines is absolutely fraught with risk. Eleven cyclists have been killed this year on our roads and lord knows how many near misses and serious injuries.

Much as I live to cycle into work early in the morning and home in the evening i just can no longer justify the risk of a cycle commute without dedicated cycle lanes with proper kerbs to properly protect some of our most vulnerable of road users.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/late ... 50809.html

Guys, think very long and hard before cycling on the roads in Dublin. I was wearing a hi viz jacket, gloves and a helmet and was very very lucky to walk away from an accident with a broken wrist (me being knocked from my bike by a car).

I've passed the scene since and I reckon I was inches from hitting the wall at about 20 kph - it really could have been an awful lot worse. To compound it when the driver got out he said "I didn't even see you." I'm 6 feet tall and 20 stone in a bright red jacket perched atop a fvkin bicycle ffs.

Will this city ever wake up to the fact that sharing a road between cyclists and four wheel death machines is absolutely fraught with risk. Eleven cyclists have been killed this year on our roads and lord knows how many near misses and serious injuries.

Much as I live to cycle into work early in the morning and home in the evening i just can no longer justify the risk of a cycle commute without dedicated cycle lanes with proper kerbs to properly protect some of our most vulnerable of road users.
I agree and its not just Dublin. At least over here some police forces are starting to prosecute drivers who overtake too close to cyclists. The best way to avoid getting knocked off is to cycle a couple of feet out from the curb to make following motorists slow and go around.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote:

I agree and its not just Dublin. At least over here some police forces are starting to prosecute drivers who overtake too close to cyclists. The best way to avoid getting knocked off is to cycle a couple of feet out from the curb to make following motorists slow and go around.
The best way to avoid getting knocked off is to face reality and not have cyclists where there isn't room for them.
Your solution is dumb - you now want to create a solution where you have two cars have a head on collision.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:
domhnallj wrote:I agree and its not just Dublin. At least over here some police forces are starting to prosecute drivers who overtake too close to cyclists. The best way to avoid getting knocked off is to cycle a couple of feet out from the curb to make following motorists slow and go around.
The best way to avoid getting knocked off is to face reality and not have cyclists where there isn't room for them.
Your solution is dumb - you now want to create a solution where you have two cars have a head on collision.
Or the drivers could just, y'know, wait until it's clear to overtake?
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's a road I take almost every day where you could get stuck behind a cyclist coming up to a bad bend and people take ridiculous chances to get around them. Part of the problem is that people feel pressured into overtaking when traffic builds up behind them (even though there's a full white line), it only takes an extra 10-20 seconds...the risks people take for the sake of such a small amount of time...madness.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There's a road I take almost every day where you could get stuck behind a cyclist coming up to a bad bend and people take ridiculous chances to get around them. Part of the problem is that people feel pressured into overtaking when traffic builds up behind them (even though there's a full white line), it only takes an extra 10-20 seconds...the risks people take for the sake of such a small amount of time...madness.
There's also the weird thing about some people when they get into cars - they have to get to the destination as fast as physically possible for some reason. 30 seconds becomes a completely unacceptable amount of time to wait to overtake a fellow road user. It's a question of patience, it's just that some are completely incapable of it.
Show Spoiler:
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote:
domhnallj wrote:

My solution is the recommended solution to cycling in traffic. Cars need to respect that they are not the only road users. Cyclists need space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote: My solution is the recommended solution to cycling in traffic. Cars need to respect that they are not the only road users. Cyclists need space.

My solution is to treat everyone else on the road as if they idiots and drive accordingly.
Who ever recommended your solution to you obviously needs their heads examined.
Respect has to work both ways at the very least.
ie Cyclists need to respect that they are not the only road users. Drivers need space.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote:
domhnallj wrote: My solution is the recommended solution to cycling in traffic. Cars need to respect that they are not the only road users. Cyclists need space.

My solution is to treat everyone else on the road as if they idiots and drive accordingly.
Who ever recommended your solution to you obviously needs their heads examined.
Respect has to work both ways at the very least.
ie Cyclists need to respect that they are not the only road users. Drivers need space.
I agree with lots of that. As a driver I am well aware of some of the moves pulled by cyclists and pedestrians. Which is why I always drive around cyclists rather than holding my line. As a cyclist I move a couple of feet out from the curb to prevent motorists from trying to squeeze past me - I got done by a bus doing this a few years back and it wasn't fun let me tell you. By being out a couple of feet you are more in the motorists eyeline too. However, I judge this by the road I am on. The swing bridge here in Newcastle is a narrow road with girders to the left - if you get hit by a car here its game over and I would rather inconvenience some drivers than have my head decorate a famous landmark.

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I see no safe way for bicycles to share a space with cars so any solution that includes encouraging Irish people to cycle need to create safe lanes for them to use. Whether this is stealing space from roads, pathways , people 's front lawns, that tree that's been there since before Dev chased the snakes from Ireland is just detail.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cyclists should pay road tax.
They should also have to pull in to the side of the path/ditch when I'm goin past in me Jag.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Cyclists should pay road tax.
They should also have to pull in to the side of the path/ditch when I'm goin past in me Jag.
Dave?
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

That's a bit harsh seeing as motorists don't pay road tax. Why should cyclists?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

fourthirtythree wrote:
That's a bit harsh seeing as motorists don't pay road tax. Why should cyclists?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here we go!!!! As a cyclist I pay motor tax for my car. Six year olds and what not don't really have any money either. :D