Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Friday's rant

Post by jimbobjoe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Did you miss the bit where I said I found it simple?

Unfortunately, most people struggled. The main problem was that they thought nothing was happening because it's quite slow, so they took their passports out and had to start again. A lot of people were standing at the machine with their passport in the air waiting for help, but there wasn't any. Regardless of how simple it should be, when that situation is happening they should have more people in place to help with it.
So they're impatient and unable to take note from others who get it right. The DAA can't teach people not to be morons.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Laighin Break wrote:
blockhead wrote: The signage business would collapse overnight if you had your way Oldschool.
I wonder how many extra hospital beds we could have if we stopped pandering to the cúpla focail nazi's.
Signs in Polish would be of more benefit.
You sound like Arlene Foster.
The signs in Irish are for everyone, and not just people with "the cúpla focal".
Considering most signs in Irish are in english too, I doubt it would provide for a whole lot of extra hospital beds. I wonder how many we would have if we stopped pandering to the sports nazis though.
Drunk. Or trolling. Or both.

Way to go full Godwin about Nazi's (sic)!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

jimbobjoe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Did you miss the bit where I said I found it simple?

Unfortunately, most people struggled. The main problem was that they thought nothing was happening because it's quite slow, so they took their passports out and had to start again. A lot of people were standing at the machine with their passport in the air waiting for help, but there wasn't any. Regardless of how simple it should be, when that situation is happening they should have more people in place to help with it.
So they're impatient and unable to take note from others who get it right. The DAA can't teach people not to be morons.
If end users can't use your system as intended it's your fault, not theirs.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One big problem was kids having to go up on their own and their parents not being able to help them. That's nothing to do with being thick or impatient.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Well that's a different matter. I think parents should take their children through the manned kiosks but I also think there should be a family lane at passport control as well as at landside to airside security.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What's a load of nonsense in Dublin airport is being made to check in in T2 and then having to make your way back to T1 to get on the plane.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One big problem was kids having to go up on their own and their parents not being able to help them. That's nothing to do with being thick or impatient.
Well there's your problem LRIP - the e-gates are only for people over 18 so kids shouldn't have been going up to them
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:Well that's a different matter. I think parents should take their children through the manned kiosks but I also think there should be a family lane at passport control as well as at landside to airside security.
No! It's another problem with the same system. In my book a related problem ie one of poor communication.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One big problem was kids having to go up on their own and their parents not being able to help them. That's nothing to do with being thick or impatient.
Well there's your problem LRIP - the e-gates are only for people over 18 so kids shouldn't have been going up to them
Being over 18 is no guarantee that your IQ or standard of Irish is any better than someone who is under 18. :wink:
The kids were probably trying to explain it to their Irish illiterate or, equally as possible, foreign parents.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Xanthippe wrote:
Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I didn't see any signs for that at all, which just adds to what I'm saying about there not being adequate assistance in place. Like I said though, plenty of people were struggling with the machines, not just kids (and when I say kids, I mean 13/14).
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I didn't see any signs for that at all, which just adds to what I'm saying about there not being adequate assistance in place. Like I said though, plenty of people were struggling with the machines, not just kids (and when I say kids, I mean 13/14).
Ah okay well that's really interesting if there's no signage. Will have to have a look on Saturday night when we get back home from Bilbao
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Xanthippe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I didn't see any signs for that at all, which just adds to what I'm saying about there not being adequate assistance in place. Like I said though, plenty of people were struggling with the machines, not just kids (and when I say kids, I mean 13/14).
Ah okay well that's really interesting if there's no signage. Will have to have a look on Saturday night when we get back home from Bilbao
I'm fairly sure that there are signs to that effect. They could possibly be more prominent...and by the sound of it, properly enforced.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

limecat wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I didn't see any signs for that at all, which just adds to what I'm saying about there not being adequate assistance in place. Like I said though, plenty of people were struggling with the machines, not just kids (and when I say kids, I mean 13/14).
I'm fairly sure that there are signs to that effect. They could possibly be more prominent...and by the sound of it, properly enforced.
Yep there are bollard signs with 18+ etc.
My issue is with the overhead instruction display which is Irish for 50% of the time and therefore useless.
This is what is contributing majorly to the delays.
My advice to everyone, use the manned kiosks - they're on the left.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

How did you make your way around the country before SatNav's OS?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Arrivals in Dublin Airport is a mess that goes beyond people that can't understand simple signage. Arriving on a late flight means a massive backlog at security - there is no indication on which queue to get into if you want the manned versus the automated gates. Last time I came through (weekend of the Sarries game) the automated gates were switched off for some reason, meanwhile bedlam as hundreds of people were processed through three or four manned gates. I thought Stansted was bad....
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:How did you make your way around the country before SatNav's OS?
Maps, no problem. They were in English mind you.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:How did you make your way around the country before SatNav's OS?
And what did you reference them against?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Maps aren't in English: legends are.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Maps aren't in English: legends are.
The place names were English but I think you are splitting hairs..
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
And what did you reference them against?
Well apart from having a good sense of direction, allied to the where the sun is in the sky, an accurate watch and a sextant what else would I need.
There is a datum point? visible from where I live.
They're marked on ordinance survey maps.
My theodolite comes in handy too.
The signposts in English (which thankfully most of them are) help too.