Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TheBear
Enlightened

Re: Friday's rant

Post by TheBear »

Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:And what did you reference them against?
Well apart from having a good sense of direction, allied to the where the sun is in the sky, an accurate watch and a sextant what else would I need.
There is a datum point? visible from where I live.
They're marked on ordinance survey maps.
My theodolite comes in handy too.
The signposts in English (which thankfully most of them are) help too.
I think the point jimbobjoe is making is that the signposts are in both English and Irish, just as the signs in the airport are.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TheBear wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:And what did you reference them against?
Well apart from having a good sense of direction, allied to the where the sun is in the sky, an accurate watch and a sextant what else would I need.
I think the point jimbobjoe is making is that the signposts are in both English and Irish, just as the signs in the airport are.
I knew he was being pedantic hence my reply.
Thanks for the interpretation into English.
But not at the same time in the airport.
BTW The instructions share the same screen sequentially.
So only available in one language at any one time.
Ergo most users have to wait until the English version is displayed.
Not to mention that the fluent Irish speakers are fluent in English too but sure who cares leaves us waiting.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

So in truth OS your problem with the signs is that they operate sequentially and not the Irish language itself? That's a much more reasonable and valid complaint - you should have said that originally.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:Dublin Airport and Automatic Passport Machines.
Signs in Irish.
Hellloooo - Dublin is an international airport.
Most of the indigenous population don't speak Irish (let's not sliit hairs)and the visiting foreigners definitely don't.
Most of them will have a working knowledge of English.
These are customers - Custoner comes first anyone.
For flips sake don't start a language fight down there as well as it is bad enough up here.
Anyway every international airport I have been in has both the national language and English, Canada sort of breaks the rules as they don't know whether they speak English or French.
As for automatic passport machines they are great as long as you take your glasses off.
Dublin now is one of the most efficient airports I use, as far as efficiency of security, baggage/check in and signage goes it is right up there with Dubai qnd Singapore in my view and way ahead of the vast majority of airports worldwide. Sometimes you just don't notice something on your own doorstep is as good as it is.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's fair. I was annoyed at the Passport machine issue because I thought it could be easily solved, but realistically I was still able to get through arrivals very quickly, and it's very very rare that I'd be delayed at Dublin airport.

That reminds me of my last trip to Charles De Gaulle. A 20 minute taxi, a long walk around the airport, chaos at baggage reclaim, and another long walk to the RER. That was actually quite smooth compared to other issues I've had there, just took ages. It's the most bizarrely laid out and sign posted airport that I've ever had the misfortune of being in.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's fair. I was annoyed at the Passport machine issue because I thought it could be easily solved, but realistically I was still able to get through arrivals very quickly, and it's very very rare that I'd be delayed at Dublin airport.

That reminds me of my last trip to Charles De Gaulle. A 20 minute taxi, a long walk around the airport, chaos at baggage reclaim, and another long walk to the RER. That was actually quite smooth compared to other issues I've had there, just took ages. It's the most bizarrely laid out and sign posted airport that I've ever had the misfortune of being in.
Last time I flew through Orly, I thought there was a mistake when a sign said there was a 1 hour, 45 minute wait to get through security.

Unfortunately, it was not a mistake.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

:lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:So in truth OS your problem with the signs is that they operate sequentially and not the Irish language itself? That's a much more reasonable and valid complaint - you should have said that originally.
In truth what I should have said is that my problem is with the numbskulls who think it's ok to push the Irish language onto me at ever possible opportunity they get without thinking true the consequences for me and the many like me.
IE I do have have a problem with the Irish language.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:
Signs in Irish.
Most of the indigenous population don't speak Irish (let's not sliit hairs)and the visiting foreigners definitely don't.
For flips sake don't start a language fight down there as well as it is bad enough up here.
Anyway every international airport I have been in has both the national language and English, Canada sort of breaks the rules as they don't know whether they speak English or French.
As for automatic passport machines they are great as long as you take your glasses off.
Dublin now is one of the most efficient airports I use, as far as efficiency of security, baggage/check in and signage goes it is right up there with Dubai qnd Singapore in my view and way ahead of the vast majority of airports worldwide. Sometimes you just don't notice something on your own doorstep is as good as it is.
I believe there is always room for improvement.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:
rooster wrote:
Signs in Irish.
I believe there is always room for improvement.
The walk from terminal 2 to terminal 1 is something that needs sorting, will be interesting how they integrate the new runway as well but at present is is still up there with the best around for hassle free travel
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's fair. I was annoyed at the Passport machine issue because I thought it could be easily solved, but realistically I was still able to get through arrivals very quickly, and it's very very rare that I'd be delayed at Dublin airport.

It's mad. You spend 15mins driving to the runway on the plane. get a nice your of the airport
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Can't beat a nice your
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Maps, no problem. They were in English mind you.
And what did you reference them against?
How do you manage in countries where English isn't one of their official languages?
And how do people push the Irish language onto you? And sure even if they did, you do know the english language was pushed on us in the first place?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

How do I manage?
Well English being my first language, given its' worldwide use, is a huge advantage.
I also have a working knowledge of French and German, both of which I have used, still use and find more useful than Irish.
There it is - The Irish language has no practical use and is a financial drain on our economic well being.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ah yeah, let's just homogenise the whole planet.. that's always worked out to be a great idea
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

There's a lot of other things with no practical use either - literature, rugby, music and more. Let's eliminate all of those while we're at it.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:How do I manage?
Well English being my first language, given its' worldwide use, is a huge advantage.
I also have a working knowledge of French and German, both of which I have used, still use and find more useful than Irish.
There it is - The Irish language has no practical use and is a financial drain on our economic well being.
Yes but if the use of Irish in Ireland is such a pain to you, surely in countries where English (and French and German) aren't main languages, getting around is unbearably inconvenient? Hopefully you won't be in Bilbao this weekend!

Yes let's get rid of everything that doesn't have a practical use for you. What's the practical use of rugby?

FYI - I, and plenty of other people, have used and still use Irish.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It would appear I've touched a nerve.
Unfortunately the wrong nerve, it's the people organising the automation of the passport system in Dublin airport whose nerve needs to be touched.
Anyway it being the weekend that's in it, hopefully you'll all enjoy the occasion, be you here in Bilbao or elsewhere.
Ola!
C'mon Leinster.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:It would appear I've touched a nerve.
Unfortunately the wrong nerve, it's the people organising the automation of the passport system in Dublin airport whose nerve needs to be touched.
Anyway it being the weekend that's in it, hopefully you'll all enjoy the occasion, be you here in Bilbao or elsewhere.
Ola!
C'mon Leinster.
I used the automatic machines in March and never even noticed it was in Irish, and my Irish is not very extensive at all, in fact I couldn't string a sentence together now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote:
Oldschool wrote:It would appear I've touched a nerve.
Ola!
C'mon Leinster.
I used the automatic machines in March and never even noticed it was in Irish, and my Irish is not very extensive at all, in fact I couldn't string a sentence together now.
So did you also study it for 14 years then?