Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Logorrhea » March 28th, 2016, 2:49 pm

(JLA = Justice League)

Haven't seen it but my nephew, 17 year old and avid comic reader really enjoyed it. He also thought Affeck nailed Batman.

He doesn't understand the negative reviews. Judging by the taking on the opening weekend, a lot of people disagree with the critics on this one.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3828
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Movie Thread

Postby RoboProp » March 30th, 2016, 11:48 am

Peg Leg wrote:Right so, here goes. Batman vs superman is the best comic adaptation put to film ever..... if you're a dcu reader you will love it. Studio pressure to tee up JLA is too obvious and shoe horned though.


I usually agree with you, but not here. It was so close to being utter tripe. Wonder Woman saved the day. Eisenberg should just have his SAG card removed, he's a terribly samey actor. He's no Luthor that's for sure. Michael Rosenbaum is the yardstick.

Affleck was quite good, but I found way too much about the whole thing forced, and my God it was po-faced. A bit of levity would have worked wonders
Get up on your feet, don't look so obsolete and thrash like an athlete
User avatar
RoboProp
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3007
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Peg Leg » March 30th, 2016, 12:51 pm

RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Right so, here goes. Batman vs superman is the best comic adaptation put to film ever..... if you're a dcu reader you will love it. Studio pressure to tee up JLA is too obvious and shoe horned though.


I usually agree with you, but not here. It was so close to being utter tripe. Wonder Woman saved the day. Eisenberg should just have his SAG card removed, he's a terribly samey actor. He's no Luthor that's for sure. Michael Rosenbaum is the yardstick.

Affleck was quite good, but I found way too much about the whole thing forced, and my God it was po-faced. A bit of levity would have worked wonders

I had a re-read of the Dark knight returns afore my trip to the cinema..... by jaysus he hit the nail on the head, forced, po-faced and levityless...... awesome

Eisenberg was the biggest problem for me too.

BTW. Have you watched daredevil S2 yet? Any good? Have you seen the adds for Preacher?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7827
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Movie Thread

Postby paddyor » March 30th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I've started Daredevil season 2 and it's good. Enjoying it so far. Hadn't realised they were going to tie in Jessica Jones to this as well (or that there was already some crossover - I've only watched 3-4 Jessica Jones). One thing I hadn't realised until this season was how 60s Batman the ending of the episodes have been. Always a cliffhanger, maybe not at the same level of 60s Batman. The punisher has been good so far but the jury is out on Elektra.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby RoboProp » March 30th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Right so, here goes. Batman vs superman is the best comic adaptation put to film ever..... if you're a dcu reader you will love it. Studio pressure to tee up JLA is too obvious and shoe horned though.


I usually agree with you, but not here. It was so close to being utter tripe. Wonder Woman saved the day. Eisenberg should just have his SAG card removed, he's a terribly samey actor. He's no Luthor that's for sure. Michael Rosenbaum is the yardstick.

Affleck was quite good, but I found way too much about the whole thing forced, and my God it was po-faced. A bit of levity would have worked wonders

I had a re-read of the Dark knight returns afore my trip to the cinema..... by jaysus he hit the nail on the head, forced, po-faced and levityless...... awesome

Eisenberg was the biggest problem for me too.

BTW. Have you watched daredevil S2 yet? Any good? Have you seen the adds for Preacher?


Haven't seen any of the Preacher ads yet.
I blitzed through S2 of DD. Episode Four is an absolute masterpiece. Best Punisher adaptation yet, granted that ain't saying much. It's very po-faced though :lol:
Get up on your feet, don't look so obsolete and thrash like an athlete
User avatar
RoboProp
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3007
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: Movie Thread

Postby TerenureJim » April 3rd, 2016, 11:25 am

Loved Batman v Superman yep it's got problems but it has to set up a huge amount. Affleck was great as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

As an aside I don't get the hate from critics especially Empire, marvel release a movie and the usually wet their pants, DC do and it's just slated, made fun of and generally presented/framed in a negative way. I don't get the hate unless Empire is also owned by Disney now?
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4873
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Peg Leg » April 3rd, 2016, 12:11 pm

TerenureJim wrote:Loved Batman v Superman yep it's got problems but it has to set up a huge amount. Affleck was great as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

As an aside I don't get the hate from critics especially Empire, marvel release a movie and the usually wet their pants, DC do and it's just slated, made fun of and generally presented/framed in a negative way. I don't get the hate unless Empire is also owned by Disney now?

Empire dances to the popular tune. No longer the standard bearer
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7827
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Peg Leg » April 3rd, 2016, 12:14 pm

My biggest criticism of the film was the geography. The nearest City to Gotham is Bludhaven. Having metropolis on the other side of the bay was retarded.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7827
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Movie Thread

Postby blockhead » April 3rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

The Revenant. Dissapointing I must say.
Trumbo. Not bad/fairly good.
Star wars. Total shyte.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3614
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Broken Wing » April 5th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Loved BvS. Affleck was excellent. Can't wait to see him in Suicide Squad (though it's probably just going to be a cameo).
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 11:06 am
Location: South Stand, Baby!

Re: Movie Thread

Postby TerenureJim » May 15th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Everybody Wants Some is a note perfect love letter to early 80's college life in Texas, destined to be a cult classic as a spiritual sequel to the incomparable Dazed and Confused. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

One gripe is it can be somewhat misigonist in parts but then it is a film about "jocks" being somewhat misoginist so you kinda got to go with it
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4873
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby TerenureJim » September 6th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Sausage Party - great fun, few gags miss the spot but generally it's got a lot of laughs, last 10-15 mins will leave your jaw on the floor
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4873
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby FrankBurke » September 7th, 2016, 7:15 am

" A Date for Mad Mary". Not easy to watch, but has stuck with me. Good.
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Thread

Postby FLIP » December 15th, 2016, 4:03 am

Rogue One quick review - orders of magnitude better than TFA in every way. Possibly even my favourite star wars film yet.
Anyone But New Zealand
User avatar
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby Laighin Break » December 15th, 2016, 11:18 am

Midnight screening of the film?
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 373
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Movie Thread

Postby FLIP » December 15th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Laighin Break wrote:Midnight screening of the film?


Yep - hence why I was calling TFA episode 8 in previous versions of my last message. :mullet 1:
Anyone But New Zealand
User avatar
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Movie Thread

Postby brotheroffrank » May 13th, 2017, 9:14 am

Alien Covenant.
Disappointing, particularly the ending (predictable from midway. ..)
User avatar
brotheroffrank
Learner
 
Posts: 51
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Re: Movie Thread

Postby CiaranIrl » May 16th, 2017, 9:36 am

I had totally given up in the superhero movie genre after years and years of garbage explosion centric nonsense, but then... Logan was a terrific film. Really enjoyed it.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest