Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

pitcher girl
Knowledgeable

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by pitcher girl »

Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Saw "No Country for Old Men" last night.

Excellent, haunting, stays with you afterwards.

Bit of an abrupt ending thou
Going to see it today, haven't been looking forward to a film as much for a long time.
I just saw 'No Country For Old Men' and WELL its brilliant. It just reels you in. BUT the ending - WTF, I think I have to watch it again or go read the book. I missed something somewhere... Top notch movie - def gets my recommendation. Its gripping, moments of pure brilliance, and comedy yes comedy. It has me so jumpy a bloody spider just made me jump about 5 feet (I'm scared of them anyhow!) No I have to go get the MF out of here with a long stick or newspaper and throw it out the front door!!! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
In training
pitcher girl
Knowledgeable

Post by pitcher girl »

Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Saw "No Country for Old Men" last night.

Excellent, haunting, stays with you afterwards.

Bit of an abrupt ending thou
Going to see it today, haven't been looking forward to a film as much for a long time.
I just saw it and WELL its brilliant. It just reels you in. BUT the ending - WTF, I think I have to watch it again or go read the book. I missed something somewhere... Top notch movie - def gets my recommendation. Its gripping, moments of pure brilliance, and comedy yes comedy. It has me so jumpy a bloody spider just made me jump about 5 feet (I'm scared of them anyhow!) No I have to go get the MF out of here with a long stick or newspaper and throw it out the front door!!!

Coen Bro's have a master piece :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
In training
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

pitcher girl wrote:
I just saw it and WELL its brilliant. It just reels you in. BUT the ending - WTF, I think I have to watch it again or go read the book. I missed something somewhere... Top notch movie - def gets my recommendation.
Just seen it, brillant stuff, best I've seen in a long while. I liked the ending though, thought everything was pretty well wrapped up, as in you knew where every character stood at the end!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FatBoyChoice wrote:
pitcher girl wrote:
I just saw it and WELL its brilliant. It just reels you in. BUT the ending - WTF, I think I have to watch it again or go read the book. I missed something somewhere... Top notch movie - def gets my recommendation.
Just seen it, brillant stuff, best I've seen in a long while. I liked the ending though, thought everything was pretty well wrapped up, as in you knew where every character stood at the end!
Great movie, but found the ending a little unsatisfying. A really cracking thriller though with great performances by Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Woody Harrelson, but Javier Bardem was man of the match. Jesus, he was actually scary! That bit at the start with the poor old shop-keeper was seriously unnerving, it reminded me of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. It's worth seeing for Bardem alone. :clap:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Charlie Wilson's War. Really enjoyable. What to be expected from Aaron Sorkin; the script was very sharp. Philip Seymour Hoffman steals every scene he's in. Outstanding in it with the script helping him. Tom Hanks did what Tom Hanks does; solid and unspectacular. Overall well worth a look.

Interesting watching considering the relevance of America's actions in today's world.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "Walk Hard. The Dewey Cox Story"

I shouldn't have enjoyed it but I did; self -indulgent with few outright laughs and flaccid script. But songs were good, John C Reilly hammed it up shamelessly and Jenna Fischer always worth the price of admission.

Good brainless fun for a Monday night.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Just back from "The Valley of Elah" Very good, cast uniformly good esp Charlize Theron & Tommie Lee Jones outstanding.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Sweeney Todd - really good. Very gory though ( well for me anyway) and IT'S A MUSICAL!!!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
pitcher girl
Knowledgeable

Post by pitcher girl »

ceemec wrote:Charlie Wilson's War. Really enjoyable. What to be expected from Aaron Sorkin; the script was very sharp. Philip Seymour Hoffman steals every scene he's in. Outstanding in it with the script helping him. Tom Hanks did what Tom Hanks does; solid and unspectacular. Overall well worth a look.

Interesting watching considering the relevance of America's actions in today's world.
Only caught it today before it leaves the cinemas. Glad I did :-) I thought Tom Hanks did a good job, never a fan of his but he is getting better (at acting that is :roll: ) as he gets older... Perfect for when you've nothing else to do and its rotten outside, or tired. It keeps you entertained, but it does lack a little bit of action, figured they could have shot some more action scenes in Afghanistan. 7 out of 10
In training
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

sarah_lennon wrote: IT'S A MUSICAL!!!!
It really, really is!!!! :evil: I knew there was some singing in it but bloody hell it was practically all fecking singing. Johnny Depp was good but overall it was more irritating than anything else.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Cloverfield tonight. Difficult to watch, handheld camera a bit disconcerting. But quite a few frights and is mercifully short.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Exile wrote:Cloverfield tonight. Difficult to watch, handheld camera a bit disconcerting. But quite a few frights and is mercifully short.
Ditto. Jumped a fair few times and cheated by taking off my glasses here and there (the eqivilant of switching off the lights I'm that blind).

The handheld camera was a bit hard going at times but I thought it was very good for that kind of film.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Exile wrote:Cloverfield tonight. Difficult to watch, handheld camera a bit disconcerting. But quite a few frights and is mercifully short.
Yeah takes a while to get used to the handhand camera thing. . . . .very short (82 mins?). . .and whats with the sudden ending :?

Still a good movie.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Saw 'Juno' at the weekend, very funny.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Donny B. wrote:Saw 'Juno' at the weekend, very funny.
Thanks Donny - was dubious about all the good reviews but if you say it's funny that's good enough for me. Want to see it.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

Hickiefan wrote:
Thanks Donny - was dubious about all the good reviews but if you say it's funny that's good enough for me. Want to see it.

Seen it at weekend too, really is excellent and deserving of excellent reviews.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FatBoyChoice wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:

Seen it at weekend too, really is excellent and deserving of excellent reviews.
Yeah, packed with some great one-liners - "I'm a legend at school, they call me the 'cautionary whale' ". :lol:

Cool soundtrack too. Wait for the song at the end, "Loose Lips" by Kimya Dawson. Fecking gas lyrics.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

Violently hungover yesterday, watched Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.

Brilliant, odd, wonderful film.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Mustapha wrote:Violently hungover yesterday, watched Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.

Brilliant, odd, wonderful film.
That was panned by the critics but I always had a soft spot for it

"Give it a f**king name!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Control is now available for purchase on DVD
I have Bumbleflex