Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Sarphil
Enlightened

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by Sarphil »

The new Mummy film is not great. Rachel Weisz is missed - her dizzy character is now too sensible. Liked the Yeti though. I knew they existed!
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Sarphil wrote:The new Mummy film is not great. Rachel Weisz is missed - her dizzy character is now too sensible. Liked the Yeti though. I knew they existed!
Ah, the plot thickens....
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

Iron Man - terrible terrible terrible. God only knows why Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Palthrow took on their roles. Downey Jr, as usual, is annoying.

Downeys escape from a cave in Afganistan and his captors ignorance of what he was doing has to be seen to be believed - makes McGiver look unskilled.
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

Agree about Iron Man - started off okay but got worse and worse. Couldnt wait for it to be over.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Saw Hellboy 2, mad as a bag of snakes but great fun.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

A little belatedly, I can recommend Dark Knight - perhaps a tad long but enjoyable nonetheless. Can also recommend the VIP seats in Dundrum. Well worth the extra cash.

Also enjoyed the X Files film but it is probably one for fans of the series. Not an alien in sight thank god!
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:Saw Hellboy 2, mad as a bag of snakes but great fun.
Cracking film, even the dodgy genericised Irish/Scots/Welsh language used!
I have Bumbleflex
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Saw Hellboy 2, mad as a bag of snakes but great fun.
Cracking film, even the dodgy genericised Irish/Scots/Welsh language used!

An absolute belter of a film - great fun!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I thought Iron Man was excellent. Managed to stay true to the character in the comics, his motivations and behaviour were spot on. The only thing that annoys me about Robert Downey Jr is how ridiculously talented he is, easily the most talented actor of his generation, and how he wastes that talent so often. Thankfully not here though. It'll be interesting to see how the second film handles Starks slide into alcoholism, especially with Downeys considerable history of substance abuse.
I have Bumbleflex
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Dave Cahill wrote:I thought Iron Man was excellent. Managed to stay true to the character in the comics, his motivations and behaviour were spot on. The only thing that annoys me about Robert Downey Jr is how ridiculously talented he is, easily the most talented actor of his generation, and how he wastes that talent so often. Thankfully not here though. It'll be interesting to see how the second film handles Starks slide into alcoholism, especially with Downeys considerable history of substance abuse.
Something I only noticed the other day is that they're also building towards an Avengers movie. Only saw the new Hulk movie last week and it's a dead giveaway at the end of the movie when Stark walks in. Could be interesting, I always enjoyed the Avengers.
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I thought Iron Man was excellent. Managed to stay true to the character in the comics, his motivations and behaviour were spot on. The only thing that annoys me about Robert Downey Jr is how ridiculously talented he is, easily the most talented actor of his generation, and how he wastes that talent so often. Thankfully not here though. It'll be interesting to see how the second film handles Starks slide into alcoholism, especially with Downeys considerable history of substance abuse.
Something I only noticed the other day is that they're also building towards an Avengers movie. Only saw the new Hulk movie last week and it's a dead giveaway at the end of the movie when Stark walks in. Could be interesting, I always enjoyed the Avengers.
Yep,
Show Spoiler:
its the same at the end of Iron Man...After the end credits, Tony Stark is awoken by a noise in his living room, goes in to find Nick Fury (played by Samuel L Jackson), they talk briefly before Fury asks him if he thinks hes they only superhero out there, and has he heard of the Avengers Initiative
Theres a Captain America movie due for release in 2010, followed by an Avengers movie in 2011
I have Bumbleflex
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

God dammit, i never stay after the credits.
I am the one who knocks!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

By the way.. wasn't Nick Fury white, and slightly racist? Why's he now black? PC gone mad i tells ya. :lol:
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:By the way.. wasn't Nick Fury white, and slightly racist? Why's he now black? PC gone mad i tells ya. :lol:
More a fascist than a racist. They redid him for the Marvel Ultimate series a while ago, where they moved all their major characters origin stories into the current day and cleaned up a lot of the inconsistancies. The artist based his new Nick Fury on Samuel L Jackson, even getting his permission to use his likeness. The Ultimate series is not part of the official Marvel universe, but the 'Ultimate' Nick Fury was so popular that he is now the definitive one.
I have Bumbleflex
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ruck wrote:By the way.. wasn't Nick Fury white, and slightly racist? Why's he now black? PC gone mad i tells ya. :lol:
More a fascist than a racist. They redid him for the Marvel Ultimate series a while ago, where they moved all their major characters origin stories into the current day and cleaned up a lot of the inconsistancies. The artist based his new Nick Fury on Samuel L Jackson, even getting his permission to use his likeness. The Ultimate series is not part of the official Marvel universe, but the 'Ultimate' Nick Fury was so popular that he is now the definitive one.
Is there a "Nerd Alert" button to go along with the other formatting systems on this site? :wink:
Get in the f%~king bag.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Dave Cahill wrote:
You truly are an encyclopedia of trivial information.
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

: :lol: :
I have Bumbleflex
Drico
Knowledgeable

Post by Drico »

I can't wait for Tropic Thunder.
Oh, I'm crazy? Those f**kin' hobbit movies were boring as hell. All it was, was a bunch of people walking, three movies of people walking to a f**king volcano.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
They're remaking the Nick Fury films? :shock: Why, when they've already make the definitive classic version! :evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury: ... .D._(film)
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

There's a Thor film due out in 2010 as well with rumours of Brad Pitt as Thor. Also Di Caprio rumoured as Captain America
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!