Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Saw "Garage" yesterday.

Not quite sure how I feel about it.

Nothing much happens in it til the end. Quite an affecting film though.

Pat Shortt is brilliant in it, plays the character very well.
carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

donny b - im keen to see that movie - probably best that i know itll be a bit of a whelming ending.

go see control - film of the year.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

carney wrote:donny b - im keen to see that movie - probably best that i know itll be a bit of a whelming ending.

go see control - film of the year.
Jaysus, was just about to come on to recommend "Control".

Saw it on Friday and spent most the "A" game in Belvo raving about it.

It's so well done, really captures the mood of the time and Sam Riley just plays Curtis so well, you almost forget you're watching an actor.

Toby Kebbell steals every scene as Rob Gretton and Samanta Morton is as always terrific.

Even though we all know the dark ending, I actually found it a strangely uplifting film. Highly recommended!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Just back from "Eastern Promises" - get thee to a picture house and feast on some brilliant movie making.

I was wondering in the first 15 minutes if I should have gone to "Ratatouille" but it just went uphill from there.

Well worth your E10 or whatever you spend. Ratatouille is next on the menu.
Get in the f%~king bag.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Slipper1 wrote:Just back from "Eastern Promises" - get thee to a picture house and feast on some brilliant movie making.

I was wondering in the first 15 minutes if I should have gone to "Ratatouille" but it just went uphill from there.

Just seen "Eastern Promises".

Very good, not sure I fancy a trip to a London bathouse though.......
Munki
Bookworm

Post by Munki »

olaf the fat wrote:Dont go to the movies - just stick the free leinster DVD on and watch Leinster Vs Toulose again, or try to get a copy of us Vs the scarlets for halloween
Speaking of which (and I know it's a little off topic) but I'm looking for a recording (video or dvd) of the Toulouse away match from 2 seasons back (yes, the one with 'THE' ultimate Disco-Den try) and also the away Bath match from the group stage in the same season (final group game, needed to whup Bath to qualify - whupped them). Anyone willing to give me a copy? Tried to download via bittorrent, but lack of seeders made it nigh on impossible.
"Holy Crip, he's a Crapple!" - Peter Griffin
Munki
Bookworm

Post by Munki »

olaf the fat wrote:Dont go to the movies - just stick the free leinster DVD on and watch Leinster Vs Toulose again, or try to get a copy of us Vs the scarlets for halloween
Speaking of which (and I know it's a little off topic) but I'm looking for a recording (video or dvd) of the Toulouse away match from 2 seasons back (yes, the one with 'THE' ultimate Disco-Den try) and also the away Bath match from the group stage in the same season (final group game, needed to whup Bath to qualify - whupped them). Anyone willing to give me a copy? Tried to download via bittorrent, but lack of seeders made it nigh on impossible.
"Holy Crip, he's a Crapple!" - Peter Griffin
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Exile wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:Just back from "Eastern Promises" - get thee to a picture house and feast on some brilliant movie making.

Just seen "Eastern Promises".

Very good, not sure I fancy a trip to a London bathouse though.......
Yeah saw that over the weekend, those with weak stomachs may want to stay away though, a but graffic at times.

Also, saw Heartbreak Kid recently, actually quite funny.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mr. Brooks - utter utter shite
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Duff Paddy wrote:Mr. Brooks - utter utter shite
Nice concise review there Duffer! :lol:
carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

where is a good place to rent movies? xtra vision is just so pants, was looking for the crying game the other night, 3 xtra visions didnt carry it - have i any options?
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Exile wrote:Feast yourself on "Ratatouille"!

Its a cracker!!!
Really want to see this - was hoping it would be on on my transatlantic flights but no, we got the bleedin 'Mummy' and some similarly ancient film I've forgotten (didn't bother watching either) on the way out and something about a girl playing school soccer on a boys team in 1970s middle America on the way home. :roll:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

A film that I would greatly recommend is Jacques Becker's "Le Trou" (1960). I first saw it about twenty years ago and never forgot it. Unfortunately it was not available on DVD until recently. This is what Amazon says about it:
amazon.co.uk wrote:The story of five prisoners who meticulously plan their escape, only to learn that one of them is scheduled to be pardoned a few days before the jail-break. One of the prison genre's most unforgettable films.
If you like good films, get yourself a copy and watch it. However, do not try to find out anything else about it before you do. As it says on the sleeve notes - do not read them until you have seen the film.

I would also recomend another of Becker's films "Touchez Pas au Grisbi" (1954). It has to be said that the French certainly know how to make a good film.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

carney wrote:where is a good place to rent movies? xtra vision is just so pants, was looking for the crying game the other night, 3 xtra visions didnt carry it - have i any options?
Have you tried your local library?

Even down here in The Gulag they have an excellent election of forgein language films.
carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

thank you exile very much. someone else told me that aswell - will check it out.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Exile wrote:
carney wrote:where is a good place to rent movies? xtra vision is just so pants, was looking for the crying game the other night, 3 xtra visions didnt carry it - have i any options?
Have you tried your local library?

Even down here in The Gulag they have an excellent selection of forgein language films.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Went to see the new Resident Evil movie last night . . . nice!
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Uncle Mort wrote:A film that I would greatly recommend is Jacques Becker's "Le Trou" (1960). I first saw it about twenty years ago and never forgot it. Unfortunately it was not available on DVD until recently. This is what Amazon says about it:
amazon.co.uk wrote:The story of five prisoners who meticulously plan their escape, only to learn that one of them is scheduled to be pardoned a few days before the jail-break. One of the prison genre's most unforgettable films.
If you like good films, get yourself a copy and watch it. However, do not try to find out anything else about it before you do. As it says on the sleeve notes - do not read them until you have seen the film.

I would also recomend another of Becker's films "Touchez Pas au Grisbi" (1954). It has to be said that the French certainly know how to make a good film.
I saw Mouliere earlier in the year. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. V. funny film.

I also love 8 femmes.

In fact I seem to prefer foreign films at the moment. Not that I go to the cinema, or anything interesting like that.

I'd actually really like to see that film about the Irish busker with the Eastern European girl. Must get round to it one day...
carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

outspan - fender bender - foster.

f%~kin deadly
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

claire_m wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:A film that I would greatly recommend is Jacques Becker's "Le Trou" (1960). I first saw it about twenty years ago and never forgot it. Unfortunately it was not available on DVD until recently. This is what Amazon says about it:

I saw Mouliere earlier in the year. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. V. funny film.

I also love 8 femmes.

In fact I seem to prefer foreign films at the moment. Not that I go to the cinema, or anything interesting like that.

I'd actually really like to see that film about the Irish busker with the Eastern European girl. Must get round to it one day...
Another very good french film is "Betty Fisher and Other Stories" and the original Scandinavian "Insomnia" is far better that the Hollywood remake. In the original the dog that gets shot is a live dog (until very, very shortly after it is shot), in the Hollywood sanitized remake the dog that is shot is already dead. It's actually quite important to demonstrate the desparation of the character that he's prepared to shoot a live dog as opposed to one that he finds that has died (mustn't offend people now). It misses the point.

Foreign films are great - take Das Boot for example - a classic.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"