Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by Dave Cahill »

jezzer wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Saw Gone Baby Gone

Really good thriller
'
Great, great movie. How come Affleck writes such amazing screenplays as Good Will hunting and Gone Baby Gone, that are totally anti-Hollywood in plot and lack of formula, but he goes off to act in Pearl frickin Harbor. Bi-polar Schizo, if you ask me.
From Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Matt Damon: Just take it from "It's a good course."
Ben Affleck: Oh, now you're the director.
Matt Damon: Hey shove it, Bounce-boy. Let's remember who talked who into doing this sh!t in the first place. Talking me into Dogma was one thing, but this...
Ben Affleck: Hey look, I'm sorry I dragged you away from whatever-gay-serial-killers-who-ride-horses-and-like-to-play-golf-touchy-feely-picture you're supposed to be doing this week.
Matt Damon: I take it you haven't seen Forces of Nature?
Ben Affleck: You're like a child. What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture. But then sometimes you gotta do the payback picture because your friend says you owe him.
[They both take a beat and look at the camera]
Ben Affleck: And sometimes, you have to go back to the well.
Matt Damon: And sometimes, you do Reindeer Games.
Ben Affleck: See, that's just mean.
I have Bumbleflex
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Slipper1 wrote:
Leo the lion wrote:Went to see Wanted the other night. Great film if you just want explosions car chases and more explosions. I really really enjoyed it.
so confused......

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Saw Wanted last night. Avoid it at all costs. I walked out after bout half an hr, by far and away the worst film I've seen in my entire life.
Just seen Wanted. Subtlety 0/10. Thought-provoking 0/10. Fun 10/10.
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

Exile wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:
Leo the lion wrote:Went to see Wanted the other night. Great film if you just want explosions car chases and more explosions. I really really enjoyed it.
so confused......

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Saw Wanted last night. Avoid it at all costs. I walked out after bout half an hr, by far and away the worst film I've seen in my entire life.
Just seen Wanted. Subtlety 0/10. Thought-provoking 0/10. Fun 10/10.
Saw Wanted on Sunday and agree entirely except I'd give it 5/10 for fun, especially after you've seen ANY of the following: a Matrix movie (seen 1 of them), a Lara Croft offering (I saw half of the first) or one of the Nightwatch/daywatch combo (saw both). The director is class and he had a great actor in a role that didn't make sense (Khabensky) and if there was any more blue screen or cgi's then Angelina Jolie would have been rendered obsolete. Definitely not a date movie and one best watched on dvd with a bunch of beer! And I reckon you could have some good drinking games with it!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Anyone see Outlaws with Sean Bean - that has to rank in the worst films of all time.

I watched The General last night and found the glorification of that scumbag Cahill to be disturbing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote:Anyone see Outlaws with Sean Bean - that has to rank in the worst films of all time.

I watched The General last night and found the glorification of that scumbag Cahill to be disturbing.
:shock:

:lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

the spoofer wrote:
As an antidote can I recommend "Ordinary Decent Criminal" on the same topic. Myself and a friend almost got thrown out of a cinema in Australia for laughing it was so bad. Kevin Spacy's Irish accent has to be heard to be believed. One review I read said it "meandered around all 32 counties never staying in one long enough to get comfortable". :lol:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Mammia Mia!

Will do wonders for the Greek Tourist Board. Pierce Brosnan's singing is on a par with my own and a rusty chainsaw. Doesn't pay to think too much about the plot. Film is 100% cheese but the soundtrack of the decade. The entire audience stayed on to listen to the songs over the end credits. Great fun.

And a Leinster supporter sitting in front of me. Who'd have believed two Leinster supporters at the 19.30 showing in Mahon Point??
LeinsterBabe
Mullet

Post by LeinsterBabe »

Exile wrote:Mammia Mia!

Will do wonders for the Greek Tourist Board. Pierce Brosnan's singing is on a par with my own and a rusty chainsaw. Doesn't pay to think too much about the plot. Film is 100% cheese but the soundtrack of the decade. The entire audience stayed on to listen to the songs over the end credits. Great fun.

And a Leinster supporter sitting in front of me. Who'd have believed two Leinster supporters at the 19.30 showing in Mahon Point??
Pierce Brosnan's singing definitely is not a high point of the film, neither is Meryl Streep's, but it's definitely great fun and the setting is beautiful. Julie Walters is hilarious.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Wall:E Excellent, even the end credits are worth watching!
Stand up and fight
Bookworm

Post by Stand up and fight »

Exile wrote:Wall:E Excellent, even the end credits are worth watching!
Absolutely brilliant movie. Great on every level.
I love the smell of turnips in the morning, smells like...victory.
D'Arse
Mullet

Post by D'Arse »

Saw The Dark Knight last night. Overall it was a very good film. If you liked the last Batman movie (Batman begins) you'll like this too. Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Aaron Eckhart are all solid (maybe Eckhart slightly less than the others - but then again I'm not an Eckhart fan) as you would expect . Christian Bale is a little wooden but he was in the last one too. Heath ledger is good but not Oscar winning good. He stole of lot of facial expressions from Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker - look for the pouting lips and darting tounge that Nicholson brought to the role. Maybe I focused on Ledger more because he has been in the media so much since his death. I expected a knockout performance and was left slightly deflated if I'm honest. Maggie Gyllenhaal plays Rachel Dawes (different person from the last movie and nowhere near as hot) who is half hard nosed career woman and half damsel in distress. An OK performance but the role doesn't demand a huge amount to be fair to her. The film is very dark as you can imagine if you've seen the trailer. Overall the storyline is decent and it moves along quite quickly. There are one or two instantly classic scenes (look out for the one with the pencil). Definitely a film to see on the big screen.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:Wall:E Excellent, even the end credits are worth watching!
Yeah, I brought my niece and two nephews to it yesterday and they stayed quiet for the whole thing, which is definitely a first!
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Saw X-Files I want to believe last night. Good film, if you liked the series I recommend it.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Not bad but the original West End stage version is very hard to beat, took some convincing to get me there but it was worth it. :oops:
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

rooster wrote:

Not bad but the original West End stage version is very hard to beat, took some convincing to get me there but it was worth it. :oops:
Enjoyed it much more than the stage show in the Point a few years ago. Meryl Streep is amazing. The silly giggling girlies are a bit much though.
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

Has anyone seen Outpost? Myself and my girlfriend decided to have a "movie night" on saturday and sunday after long days at work and apart, and on Saturday it was Soylent Green - not a rom-com by any stretch but she was terrified by it (I've now got a list of soylent gags I can use). Sunday it was Outpost, a truly interesting movie with gore galore, an interesting premise and decent acting. Not totally scary, but some cringing in places (especially with vengeful souls). If you want something to watch on a Thursday night, it's worth the hour and a half!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Saw the Dark Knight last, and it was good, but my god the word hyperbole springs to mind. Heath Ledger was good, but not great and his death is being used to sell this. Overall impression is I wouldn't ask for my money back but alot of that was down to it being quite late when we got out.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Muc Beag
Learner

Post by Muc Beag »

Two Korean flicks by the same director that are well worth a look:

Oldboy - total mind f%~k and not one for the ladies (part of trilogy, but the others aren't as good)
JSA - excellent film about the soldiers on each side of demilitarised zone between the north and south
Freakin Mods - always hassling somebody
Muc Beag
Learner

Post by Muc Beag »

Muc Beag wrote:Two Korean flicks by the same director that are well worth a look:

Oldboy - total mind f%~k and not one for the ladies (part of trilogy, but the others aren't as good)
JSA - excellent film about the soldiers on each side of demilitarised zone between the north and south
Also - saw an Italian gangster film (not mafia) the other night that was really good called Romanza Criminale. Very polished, great acting and great soundtrack.
Freakin Mods - always hassling somebody
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

hiberno wrote:on Saturday it was Soylent Green -
A bit like Japanese Rice Crackers :twisted:
T - 45