Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Uncle Mort wrote:
claire_m wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:A film that I would greatly recommend is Jacques Becker's "Le Trou" (1960). I first saw it about twenty years ago and never forgot it. Unfortunately it was not available on DVD until recently. This is what Amazon says about it:
If you like good films, get yourself a copy and watch it. However, do not try to find out anything else about it before you do. As it says on the sleeve notes - do not read them until you have seen the film.

I would also recomend another of Becker's films "Touchez Pas au Grisbi" (1954). It has to be said that the French certainly know how to make a good film.
I saw Mouliere earlier in the year. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. V. funny film.

I also love 8 femmes.

In fact I seem to prefer foreign films at the moment. Not that I go to the cinema, or anything interesting like that.

I'd actually really like to see that film about the Irish busker with the Eastern European girl. Must get round to it one day...
Another very good french film is "Betty Fisher and Other Stories" and the original Scandinavian "Insomnia" is far better that the Hollywood remake. In the original the dog that gets shot is a live dog (until very, very shortly after it is shot), in the Hollywood sanitized remake the dog that is shot is already dead. It's actually quite important to demonstrate the desparation of the character that he's prepared to shoot a live dog as opposed to one that he finds that has died (mustn't offend people now). It misses the point.

Foreign films are great - take Das Boot for example - a classic.
And Die Hard too...seeing as we're taking about foreign films.
I have Bumbleflex
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Das Boot is a classic alright. 'Good Bye Lenin!' and 'Run Lola Run' are another couple of goodies from Germany. I would recommend both.

Went to see the Sigur Rós realease 'Heima' last night. It's kinda half tour film and half tourist board film (Iceland is definitely the star of the show) but it works very well. It finishes in the IFI tomorrow but is out on DVD pretty soon.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Duke Raoul wrote:Das Boot is a classic alright. 'Good Bye Lenin!' and 'Run Lola Run' are another couple of goodies from Germany. I would recommend both.

Went to see the Sigur Rós realease 'Heima' last night. It's kinda half tour film and half tourist board film (Iceland is definitely the star of the show) but it works very well. It finishes in the IFI tomorrow but is out on DVD pretty soon.
I heard about that. Would love to see it, but I imagine it'll be on DVD. Would think it better on the big screen though.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:
claire_m wrote: I saw Mouliere earlier in the year. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. V. funny film.

I also love 8 femmes.

In fact I seem to prefer foreign films at the moment. Not that I go to the cinema, or anything interesting like that.

I'd actually really like to see that film about the Irish busker with the Eastern European girl. Must get round to it one day...
Another very good french film is "Betty Fisher and Other Stories" and the original Scandinavian "Insomnia" is far better that the Hollywood remake. In the original the dog that gets shot is a live dog (until very, very shortly after it is shot), in the Hollywood sanitized remake the dog that is shot is already dead. It's actually quite important to demonstrate the desparation of the character that he's prepared to shoot a live dog as opposed to one that he finds that has died (mustn't offend people now). It misses the point.

Foreign films are great - take Das Boot for example - a classic.
And Die Hard too...seeing as we're taking about foreign films.
That doesn't even warrant a response. :roll:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

American films are foreign films too
I have Bumbleflex
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

Dave Cahill wrote:American films are foreign films too
I think Mary 'nearer to Boston than Berlin' Harney would disagree...
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Duke Raoul wrote:Das Boot is a classic alright. 'Good Bye Lenin!' and 'Run Lola Run' are another couple of goodies from Germany. I would recommend both.

You ought to look at today's picture quiz
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

No can do Mort. The pictures are blocked for some reason.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

watched tarantinos contribution to the deathproof presents feature last night. i thought it was excellent, would love to watch the slimmed down version with the trailers in the middle along with robert rodriguiz' planet terror - the way the filmakers actually wanted us to see it...

highly recommended all the same.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "The Counterfeiters" last night, v good but no chucklefest.

Best Austrain film I've seen this year.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Exile wrote:Saw "The Counterfeiters" last night, v good but no chucklefest.

Best Austrain film :shock: I've seen this year.
I once saw a great Belgian film called 'Man bites Dog' which is excellent, if a little violent.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Mauler wrote:
Exile wrote:Saw "The Counterfeiters" last night, v good but no chucklefest.

Best Austrain film :shock: I've seen this year.
I once saw a great Belgian film called 'Man bites Dog' which is excellent, if a little violent.
Oops ...should be Austrian
carney
Knowledgeable

Post by carney »

good man mauler - thats a classic.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

SAw American Gangster last night. Very good.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Got to see "Dawn Rescue" last night, gripping viewing, reminded me of Thin Red Line & Apocalypto.

Christian Bale is the business.
Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

Have downloaded a lot of cr@p movies recently, but one that you should watch is 'Dirty Pretty Things'. You'll never clean a toilet again!
CrapFullBack
Bookworm

Post by CrapFullBack »

Went to see American Gangster the other day. Good film and an interesting variation on the "Blue Magic" theme.....
Come visit and see for yourself!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Phil06 wrote:Have downloaded a lot of cr@p movies recently, but one that you should watch is 'Dirty Pretty Things'. You'll never clean a toilet again!
Never have, never will! 8)
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
FrankBurke
Mullet

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "No Country for Old Men" last night.

Excellent, haunting, stays with you afterwards.

Bit of an abrupt ending thou
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:Saw "No Country for Old Men" last night.

Excellent, haunting, stays with you afterwards.

Bit of an abrupt ending thou
Going to see it today, haven't been looking forward to a film as much for a long time.