Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Movie Thread

Post by blockhead »

Cinderella.
Not bad at all. A bit heavy for the little ones but brightens up later (and I know I'm not ruining it for anyone by saying that).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Seventh Son, there are some interesting ideas in there, and a story that could have been pretty interesting if serialised by some form of high end US TV (HBO, Netflix, Starz, AMC etc. who knows maybe it will be) but generally it's a flop and Jeff Bridges choice of "voice" is at best troublesome.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "John Wick" last night. Dreadful. Avoid. Just don't get me started.....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FrankBurke wrote:Saw "John Wick" last night. Dreadful. Avoid. Just don't get me started.....
Ah I'm not a big action-movie fan but I found it to be a good laugh in a Friday night in, couple of beers and a pizza kind of way.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"Glassland" Bleak but good. Very good.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Avengers: Age of Ultron - yes it's got the set pieces and some great comic book style visuals but in the same way Iron Man 2 was troubled with setting up a wider universe this also falls foul, albeit to a lesser extent, of trying to push the Marvel universe forward perhaps too much. On the flip side I was surprised that there's little (or from what I can see) linkage to this years second Marvel event Ant-Man which was odd. Spader makes a good villain but being 100% cg does make him feela little hollow by comparison to Hidleston's Loki. Still all in all a very enjoyable piece and one that'll likely work well on revisits with the whole box set a year or two down the line.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Jupiter Ascending - just plain nuts in parts, at times you think it'll go full Flash Gordon and then they pare it back. It's a shame because the world they built showed promise as a space opera with hints of Hitchikers thrown in. If they had of immersed themselves fully in the world and left the Earth behind and brought Muse in for soundtrack duties it could been a bonanza fide classic. Instead it's an enjoyable mess.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Am thinking of seeing Mad Max tonight and see it is on in 3d Imax but the price is €19:40.

Is the Imax experience worth twice the price of a normal showing?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Kingsman The Secret Service - just all out fun, 60's Bond in 21stC setting with all the bells and whistles (exploding bells and whistles mind) that Bond has ditched in trying to be Bourne again (see what I did there), there's one massively out of place joke which falls flat but aside from that it's a two hour rip roaring ride full of high quality entertainment that has you hooked from before the opening shot....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:Kingsman The Secret Service - just all out fun, 60's Bond in 21stC setting with all the bells and whistles (exploding bells and whistles mind) that Bond has ditched in trying to be Bourne again (see what I did there), there's one massively out of place joke which falls flat but aside from that it's a two hour rip roaring ride full of high quality entertainment that has you hooked from before the opening shot....
If you're referring to the final scene, I did actually find that a bit shocking myself.

Overall though it was good crack in a darkly violent way, just like Kick-Ass. Just hope the sequel is better than the miserable Kick Ass 2.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Please don't mention Kick Ass 2 . . . .

I think in retrospect I entirely agree with Jim Carey's stance on it. That was only watching 20 minutes.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Mad Max Fury Road - just wow. It is an assault on the senses in the most incredible way. How something that insane, bizarre, fantastic, grotesque, beautiful and just balls out was made is just amazing. Go see it now on the largest screen you can find and just enjoy.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Just been to see "Slow West". Good. Very good.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

For the kids, song of the sea. Brilliant movie
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FrankBurke wrote:Just been to see "Slow West". Good. Very good.
Yeah enjoyed that too.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"Love and Mercy". Good film. Top-notch cast. Great shirts. And the music.....
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Donny B. wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Kingsman The Secret Service - just all out fun, 60's Bond in 21stC setting with all the bells and whistles (exploding bells and whistles mind) that Bond has ditched in trying to be Bourne again (see what I did there), there's one massively out of place joke which falls flat but aside from that it's a two hour rip roaring ride full of high quality entertainment that has you hooked from before the opening shot....
If you're referring to the final scene, I did actually find that a bit shocking myself.

Overall though it was good crack in a darkly violent way, just like Kick-Ass. Just hope the sequel is better than the miserable Kick Ass 2.
Got to watch it last night, and really enjoyed the film.

As you say Bond without the Bourne

BTW which joke?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Director Matthew Vaughan explained the thinking behind the joke in question in an interview with Entertainment Weekly - "This is my Spinal Tap of trying to find 11 with every scene. What happened there was I studied all the old movies, especially the Bond ones. At the end of Moonraker he's floating around in space on Dr. Goodhead and they say "Bond is attempting re-entry". In The Spy Who Loved me he says he's "keeping the British end up." The innuendo is pretty strong and always comes from the man. I just thought it would be great to turn it on its head by having the woman say it. It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek and crazy. There was a lot of debate abut whether to put it in or out. We watched it without the line and it just felt a bit flat."
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"Inside Out". Great film. Bawled my eyes out.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Ant-Man - a great addition to the Marvel universe. Just simple good fun.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!