Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blaker
Enlightened

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post by blaker »

I swa The Butterfly and the Diving Bell in the IFI last week and it is, far and away, the most affecting and memorable thing I have ever seen. I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the school curriculum.
Its a very heavy duty subject so its not necessarilly an Friday night movie but just go and see it. IFI exclusively I believe for 3 or so weeks
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Definitely, Maybe tonight. Definitely worth a look if you want to disengge the brain & chill out on a Monday night.

New York looked a great place to live in too.
juanca
Learner

Post by juanca »

Rambo movie, if you like loads of senseless violence and Blood. Bit like a wicklow camogie match!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

blaker wrote:I swa The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in the IFI last week and it is, far and away, the most affecting and memorable thing I have ever seen. I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the school curriculum.
Its a very heavy duty subject so its not necessarilly an Friday night movie but just go and see it. IFI exclusively I believe for 3 or so weeks
I saw this last week, and it's a fantastic film. You would think with the subject matter that it would be depressing as hell but the story is told so brilliantly, it actually flies by. It's actually very life-affirming without any cloying sentimentality that you normally get in these sort of films. There's also some great humour in it and it's a really moving story. I defy anyone to keep a dry eye in their head when the guys' father breaks down in tears on the phone. Highly recommended! :clap:
Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Control is now available for purchase on DVD
Just watched it, MY GOOD what a movie... Sam Riley is amazing as Ian Curtis.
Then scene when they performed Transmission was just brilliant.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Phil06 wrote:
Stunning, isn't it. As a Joy Division fan it can be hard to watch sometimes because he is so good.
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
Stunning, isn't it. As a Joy Division fan it can be hard to watch sometimes because he is so good.
I wasn't even a massive Joy Division fan, but I still found it an amazing film. The live performances were all performed by the actors and it gives the whole thing a real authenticity.
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
Have you seen the Joy Division documentary? Its superb, if you enjoyed Control get along to watch this if it goes on general release...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

SaS wrote: Have you seen the Joy Division documentary? Its superb, if you enjoyed Control get along to watch this if it goes on general release...
heard about it alright, saw the trailer on neworderonline, looks pretty darned cool.

I think there may be trouble ahead, theres another JD doc out at the moment called "under review". It has a fair few live clips apparently, but no interviews with the band or Factory.
I have Bumbleflex
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.
I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

Still not bad and brief.
I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.

Typo, I should have said..."and the arts scene here is so inward looking"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Still not bad and brief.

Don't worry Exile, I know what you meant! :P
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "The Orphanage" yesterday. Great, a dark Spanish ghost story similar to The Devils Backbone.

Needless to say every squaky florboard kept me awake last night!
pitcher girl
Knowledgeable

Post by pitcher girl »

Exile wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Still not bad and brief.

Saw it last week, I'd heard very mixed reports about it - I really liked it and I wouldn't be a real Colin Farell fan but he was very good in it. He was very Johnny Depp like. You had to catch all the looks he gives, its half of the comedy. definitely worth a look, even better in Dundrum with a glass of wine!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Saw "Lars and the Real Girl" Very funny and kinda sweet for such a bizarre story.
Smeehank
Graduate

Post by Smeehank »

Saw The Orphanage last night. Really great film. There were a few moments that made the whole cinema jump.

Word of warning though. It is subtitled as it is a spanish movie. A few people in the cinema seemed a bit shocked when the dialogue started! :lol:
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" last night. When the loathsome Russell Brand is the best thing in a movie you know you're onto a loser.

I'm trying to forget it already...........
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:Saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" last night. When the loathsome Russell Brand is the best thing in a movie you know you're onto a loser.

I'm trying to forget it already...........
Good thing I decided to give it a miss then.
Quite how this smelly, lowlife junkie has become so successful is beyond me.

On another matter, I recently saw "The Lives of Others" on DVD. Cracking little thriller.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

He's become successful by quitting the drugs, having a wash, sleeping with loads of women and showing off his big vocab.

Lad.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.