Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby blaker » February 11th, 2008, 7:27 pm

I swa The Butterfly and the Diving Bell in the IFI last week and it is, far and away, the most affecting and memorable thing I have ever seen. I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the school curriculum.
Its a very heavy duty subject so its not necessarilly an Friday night movie but just go and see it. IFI exclusively I believe for 3 or so weeks
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
User avatar
blaker
Graduate
 
Posts: 695
Joined: January 14th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby FrankBurke » February 19th, 2008, 12:27 am

Definitely, Maybe tonight. Definitely worth a look if you want to disengge the brain & chill out on a Monday night.

New York looked a great place to live in too.
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby juanca » February 19th, 2008, 10:22 am

Rambo movie, if you like loads of senseless violence and Blood. Bit like a wicklow camogie match!
juanca
Learner
 
Posts: 87
Joined: April 26th, 2007, 11:20 am
Location: Hiding in the Wickla hills

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » February 19th, 2008, 11:00 am

blaker wrote:I swa The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in the IFI last week and it is, far and away, the most affecting and memorable thing I have ever seen. I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the school curriculum.
Its a very heavy duty subject so its not necessarilly an Friday night movie but just go and see it. IFI exclusively I believe for 3 or so weeks


I saw this last week, and it's a fantastic film. You would think with the subject matter that it would be depressing as hell but the story is told so brilliantly, it actually flies by. It's actually very life-affirming without any cloying sentimentality that you normally get in these sort of films. There's also some great humour in it and it's a really moving story. I defy anyone to keep a dry eye in their head when the guys' father breaks down in tears on the phone. Highly recommended! :clap:
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Phil06 » February 19th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:Control is now available for purchase on DVD


Just watched it, MY GOOD what a movie... Sam Riley is amazing as Ian Curtis.
Then scene when they performed Transmission was just brilliant.
User avatar
Phil06
Graduate
 
Posts: 612
Joined: January 27th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Dave Cahill » February 20th, 2008, 10:53 am

Phil06 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Control is now available for purchase on DVD


Just watched it, MY GOOD what a movie... Sam Riley is amazing as Ian Curtis.
Then scene when they performed Transmission was just brilliant.


Stunning, isn't it. As a Joy Division fan it can be hard to watch sometimes because he is so good.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21374
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » February 20th, 2008, 11:06 am

Dave Cahill wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
Just watched it, MY GOOD what a movie... Sam Riley is amazing as Ian Curtis.
Then scene when they performed Transmission was just brilliant.


Stunning, isn't it. As a Joy Division fan it can be hard to watch sometimes because he is so good.


I wasn't even a massive Joy Division fan, but I still found it an amazing film. The live performances were all performed by the actors and it gives the whole thing a real authenticity.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby SaS » February 20th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Control is now available for purchase on DVD


Just watched it, MY GOOD what a movie... Sam Riley is amazing as Ian Curtis.
Then scene when they performed Transmission was just brilliant.


Stunning, isn't it. As a Joy Division fan it can be hard to watch sometimes because he is so good.

Have you seen the Joy Division documentary? Its superb, if you enjoyed Control get along to watch this if it goes on general release...
User avatar
SaS
Bookworm
 
Posts: 121
Joined: March 28th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Dave Cahill » February 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm

SaS wrote:Have you seen the Joy Division documentary? Its superb, if you enjoyed Control get along to watch this if it goes on general release...


heard about it alright, saw the trailer on neworderonline, looks pretty darned cool.

I think there may be trouble ahead, theres another JD doc out at the moment called "under review". It has a fair few live clips apparently, but no interviews with the band or Factory.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21374
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby FrankBurke » March 17th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » March 18th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.


I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby FrankBurke » March 18th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.


I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.



Typo, I should have said..."and the arts scene here is so inward looking"
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » March 18th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Exile wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.


I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.



Typo, I should have said..."and the arts scene here is so inward looking"


Don't worry Exile, I know what you meant! :P
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby FrankBurke » March 25th, 2008, 10:44 pm

Saw "The Orphanage" yesterday. Great, a dark Spanish ghost story similar to The Devils Backbone.

Needless to say every squaky florboard kept me awake last night!
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby pitcher girl » March 25th, 2008, 11:51 pm

Exile wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Exile wrote:Celebrated Paddy's Day by going to see "In Bruges" It was ok, Martin McDonagh getting a lot of favourable press here, mainly because he's "Irish" I suspect, and the arts scene here is no inward looking.

ANyway with a stronger producer this could have been a very good film. Being writer and director McDonagh over-indulged himself a bit.

Still not bad and brief.


I liked it myself although you're probably onto something about the self-indulgence. But it was funny and Colin Farrell is very good in it. Good to see Ralph Fiennes have a bit of fun as a snarling "Cockerney" gangster too.



Typo, I should have said..."and the arts scene here is so inward looking"


Saw it last week, I'd heard very mixed reports about it - I really liked it and I wouldn't be a real Colin Farell fan but he was very good in it. He was very Johnny Depp like. You had to catch all the looks he gives, its half of the comedy. definitely worth a look, even better in Dundrum with a glass of wine!!
User avatar
pitcher girl
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 498
Joined: November 20th, 2007, 12:28 am
Location: Lost!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » March 26th, 2008, 11:33 am

Saw "Lars and the Real Girl" Very funny and kinda sweet for such a bizarre story.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Smeehank » March 26th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Saw The Orphanage last night. Really great film. There were a few moments that made the whole cinema jump.

Word of warning though. It is subtitled as it is a spanish movie. A few people in the cinema seemed a bit shocked when the dialogue started! :lol:
User avatar
Smeehank
Graduate
 
Posts: 551
Joined: January 7th, 2008, 8:51 pm
Location: Deepest Darkest Leinster

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby FrankBurke » April 29th, 2008, 7:52 am

Saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" last night. When the loathsome Russell Brand is the best thing in a movie you know you're onto a loser.

I'm trying to forget it already...........
FrankBurke
Mullet
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: March 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Cork Gulag

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Donny B. » April 29th, 2008, 8:42 am

Exile wrote:Saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" last night. When the loathsome Russell Brand is the best thing in a movie you know you're onto a loser.

I'm trying to forget it already...........


Good thing I decided to give it a miss then.
Quite how this smelly, lowlife junkie has become so successful is beyond me.


On another matter, I recently saw "The Lives of Others" on DVD. Cracking little thriller.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Movie Recommendation

Postby Mustapha » April 29th, 2008, 1:08 pm

He's become successful by quitting the drugs, having a wash, sleeping with loads of women and showing off his big vocab.

Lad.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
User avatar
Mustapha
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 347
Joined: November 15th, 2007, 11:00 pm
Location: Location, Location

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest