Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by domhnallj »

I watched the wire with the subtitles on. Once I could tell what they were saying it was hugely enjoyable.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

People have been saying that about the mumbling since at least Marlon Brando. I found the wire okay to understand until snoopy.
In a lot of cases these days I blame the sound mix in the cinema, can be really awful. Sound just doesn't seem to be as much of a priority these days. My wife was complaining about finding it hard to make stuff out in better call Saul. That episode ended with some 70s song, the clarity of the mix, everything in its place and perfectly audible, was a stark contrast to the modern episode.

Plus there is the thing with theatre training. Mock it if you like but you can understand them delivering dialogue at pace in row z.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:Mock it if you like but you can understand them delivering dialogue at pace in row z.
Yeah but you can't theatre act on television - look at Fair City (seriously!)
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Mock it if you like but you can understand them delivering dialogue at pace in row z.
Yeah but you can't theatre act on television - look at Fair City (seriously!)

Oh sure, in particular the physical nature is just entirely different. But there really is a generation of American actors out there that can't deliver dialog comprehensibly. And nobody gives a sh!t. You can write this sh!t George but you can't say it.
You can't deliver dialogue the same on set as on stage either but being trained for years to speak does stand to you.

Has post sync gone out of fashion or something? Because the quality of dialogue is frequently utter b*%&!cks.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I may be easily entertained but 1 ep left of the affair and it's very very good.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

The missus was looking for a new show, haven't watched the tellybox in a while, so I'll give it a go.

I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful. Well mostly. It was surprisingly proper horror in parts. And more than a whiff of the intertextuality/public domain characters of the league of extraordinary gentlemen about it. Though against that the punishing a woman for sexuality and black sidekick dying episode after his backstory finally arrived tropes were execrable.

But I watched it through at the beginning of summer.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Currently enjoying Aquarius - set in the late 60s, David Duchovney stars as an LAPD detective trying to find an old friends teenage daughter who has run away from home to join a hippie commune led by a charismatic ex-con called Charlie Manson. He is helped by a younger 'hipper' detective in return for him helping out with a narcotics investigation the younger man is working on. Apart from the 'Family' stuff, the show also takes a look at the major issues of the day. Duchovney is excellent - he couldn't make the transition to the big screen, but on television he never fails
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

domhnallj wrote:I watched the wire with the subtitles on. Once I could tell what they were saying it was hugely enjoyable.
Turning on the subtitles be some shameful sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeete, son! Can't believe you carried it like that. :(

Seriously though, a great joy of the Wire for me was learning the local dialect, the speech patterns and the slang.

When you can understand this scene, your know you're real polis!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zavPW3Bus
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:Currently enjoying Aquarius - set in the late 60s, David Duchovney stars as an LAPD detective trying to find an old friends teenage daughter who has run away from home to join a hippie commune led by a charismatic ex-con called Charlie Manson. He is helped by a younger 'hipper' detective in return for him helping out with a narcotics investigation the younger man is working on. Apart from the 'Family' stuff, the show also takes a look at the major issues of the day. Duchovney is excellent - he couldn't make the transition to the big screen, but on television he never fails
Barely made it through one episode, thought it was a mess really. Duchovney was okay, but seemed a little miscast and the rest of it was just so unconvincing, especially the Game of Thrones guy making a weakass attempt at Charles Manson.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Donny B. wrote:
domhnallj wrote:I watched the wire with the subtitles on. Once I could tell what they were saying it was hugely enjoyable.
Turning on the subtitles be some shameful sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeete, son! Can't believe you carried it like that. :(

Seriously though, a great joy of the Wire for me was learning the local dialect, the speech patterns and the slang.

When you can understand this scene, your know you're real polis!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zavPW3Bus
They knew what they were doing there! IIRC that was her first big scene totally on script.

When we were kids we scoured the sites for hilti bolts. Rare to find them.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:the Game of Thrones guy making a weakass attempt at Charles Manson.
I think hes doing okay, its one of the harder 'faction' roles to play I would imagine. Everyone knows so much about Manson, and yet not very much, that trying to find a way into him is very hard. There are so many elements to the character that you just have to pick one and run with it
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just finished the affair. Good season...... oh and I've left my wife for Alison.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:Just finished the affair. Good season...... oh and I've left my wife for Alison.
As long as it's not Ashley we, and she, may never find out.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Just in case anyone else was going mad wondering why there was no torrents out there for the Mr Robot finale:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/mr-robot-f ... -shooting/
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Finally completed Sons of Anarchy. My Jacks Teller 'I'm sorry' and 'thanks' counter lies shattered on the floor.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

New X-Files mini-series looks amazing! :green clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
sforan
Bookworm

Post by sforan »

Deutschland 83 - Cold war drama about an East German soldier who goes undercover to spy in the west. Hoping there's a second season as the first was excellent. Some brilliant music in it and some excellent technology (gotta love floppy discs)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I'm rather enjoying series one of the leftovers.

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Started watching the latest westwi.. sorry newsroom. Its good, hope it does not go all self righteous though.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ash v Evil Dead all I'll say is groovy