Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Donny B. wrote:Watched "Mr Robot" tonight. From the USA network which normally provides solid but hardly ground-breaking fare like "Burn Notice", "Suits" and "White Collar".

This is something far edgier though and frankly it was the best pilot I've seen in years.

Not sure if it can keep this quality up but it will be interesting to fine out.
Just seeing this post from a few months ago - 7 episodes in now.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Armchair wrote:Started watching Bloodline, like it so far good cast
I can't bring myself to finish watching that show. I don't understand what is causing people to rave about it. I watched three episodes, just did nothing for me.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Amz wrote:
Armchair wrote:Started watching Bloodline, like it so far good cast
I can't bring myself to finish watching that show. I don't understand what is causing people to rave about it. I watched three episodes, just did nothing for me.
Have to say I enjoyed it, just started to watch Damages at the weekend so jury still out on it
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Watching and enjoying the affair, much of the style is borrowed from true detective and thats a tad annoying. Other than that- some great characters and enjoyable story.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Soooooo, no one mentioning True detective S2?
First series I've watched live in a while (that oldschool anticipation added to it), thought it was effin brilliant. eps 1-3 were a feckin skullfuck though, How many names/threads were there to follow?
Cast were great, good to see such strong female characters too!

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Peg Leg wrote:Soooooo, no one mentioning True detective S2?
First series I've watched live in a while (that oldschool anticipation added to it), thought it was effin brilliant. eps 1-3 were a feckin skullfuck though, How many names/threads were there to follow?

Watching a series "live" again is great!
Due to the family being the other end of the country most of the summer, Monday evening was used to recover from the weekend driving, that and the tv to myself again.

Box sets out!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Wasn't mad on it I have to say poor relation to season 1
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Armchair wrote:

Wasn't mad on it I have to say poor relation to season 1
Haven't seen the last 1 or 2 as I'm away. But I agree on it not being up there with season 1. It was dreadful early on but the last few I saw were an improvement on each other every week.

Vince Vaughn in particular was wooden as fcuk. The exchanges with his missus in particular were cringe.

Which reminds me. Someone told me that "Scandal" was really good. I couldn't get as far as the title sequence in the first episode. Never seen dialogue that bad.

Really enjoyed the Affair and Bloodline.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Loving Bojack Horseman.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Thought it was dull as f**k for the most part.

Vaughan was awful. There was a line near the end when his wife says "You can't act for sh!t" and you couldn't help feeling it was an in-joke.

The three cop characters were all basically very dull, the character structure was mostly "homaged" i.e. stolen from James Ellroy's The Big Nowhere.

Because they were played by three stars they all had to have their own tedious back story. The plot was very convoluted and was largely dependant on remembering some name mentioned by some cop, made all the harder by the fact that the cast mumbled so much (especially Farrell).

I remember thinking after five episodes that I would bail on this show if there wasn't only three episodes left.

To be fair the last two episodes redeemed the season partially but even then the ending was stuff we've seen before.

Overall a big disappointment.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Yes TD2 was very disappointing, though I felt Farrell did ok, regardless of the mumbling. Vince Vaughan was woefully unconvincing, and his wife's character was just ridiculous.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Am I alone in not loving the first series? Enjoyed it at the start but felt it dragged slightly...which was no big deal really because I still enjoyed it...but then the last scene made me want to throw my tv out the window.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Am I alone in not loving the first series? Enjoyed it at the start but felt it dragged slightly...which was no big deal really because I still enjoyed it...but then the last scene made me want to throw my tv out the window.
Nope. You are not alone. Unfortunately you're with me :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

I think I need to rewarch TD1 because I didn't and still don't get the hype. Not shite or anything but just a bit meh. Undoubtedly benefited from Matts buzz at the time and the southern setting where people can use accents and redneck tropes in lieu of acting or plot

TD2 was focking awful. I watched it as intended on TV. The plot was meh, some if the acting comically bad and cliche, everybody focking whispered, like Donnybid have bailed around ep 4 if it hadn't been on the home stretch. If you want to analyse how shite it was go back to the big shoutout scene and rewarch it. It is literally the most ridiculous 5 mins of TV this year

Just finished Friday night lights having been dipping in and out. Super super stuff. Really excellent
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

domhnallj wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Am I alone in not loving the first series? Enjoyed it at the start but felt it dragged slightly...which was no big deal really because I still enjoyed it...but then the last scene made me want to throw my tv out the window.
And me.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hippo wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
And me.
Yeah fair enough. Both series started slow and confusing. The big names kept you watching, and both series improved. But 1 was defo better than 2
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Donny B. wrote:Loving Bojack Horseman.
Seriously? Your not just saying that to fool someone into watching 2-3 episodes of a terrible show? I watched the pilot and :?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

paddyor wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Loving Bojack Horseman.
Seriously? Your not just saying that to fool someone into watching 2-3 episodes of a terrible show? I watched the pilot and :?
A lot of people didn't like it at the start, but I swear, stick with it. It got better as the first season went on and the second season was one of the best things on this year.

A weird and wonderful mix of Hollywoo satire, anthropomorphic animal jokes and a genuine study of sadness and depression. Honestly, I loved it.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

For the first 7 episodes of the first season I was obsessed with it. I wasn't the only one, there was a huge online obsession with all it's various plotlines. And then the finale sucked balls. Nic Pizzolatto was able to set up the storyline but had no idea how to end it. He chose an ending like any bad mismatched cop movie that the series originally seemed to be taking the piss out of. A bad ending to a show can cast it's stink backwards and you begin to question the merit of earlier episodes and seasons (e.g. Lost, Dexter, Battlestar Gallatica).
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Donny B. wrote:
For the first 7 episodes of the first season I was obsessed with it. I wasn't the only one, there was a huge online obsession with all it's various plotlines. And then the finale sucked balls. Nic Pizzolatto was able to set up the storyline but had no idea how to end it. He chose an ending like any bad mismatched cop movie that the series originally seemed to be taking the piss out of. A bad ending to a show can cast it's stink backwards and you begin to question the merit of earlier episodes and seasons (e.g. Lost, Dexter, Battlestar Gallatica).
I got the feeling in TD 1 and 2 that there was too many parts of the story just left out. Either the script or the show was edited in half to fit 8 episodes.

BTW, earlier poster mentioned Farrell's mumbling. Ever since watching The Wire I have noticed that this seems to be used to add some impression of realism. It really drives me mad - I just cant understand what they are saying.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian