Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Danthefan »

Watching The Shield at the moment, it's decent enough. Not a patch on The Wire but watchable anyway.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Danthefan wrote:Watching The Shield at the moment, it's decent enough. Not a patch on The Wire but watchable anyway.
That's the problem with the Wire, all other Cop shows seem shite by comparison, even a fine show like The Shield.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Back to my originalposting on this thread.

If you liked The Wire then Homicide - Life on the Street is for you. Its set in Baltimore as well and in some wasy can be seen as a precursor to The Wire.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Exile wrote:Back to my originalposting on this thread.

If you liked The Wire then Homicide - Life on the Street is for you. Its set in Baltimore as well and in some wasy can be seen as a precursor to The Wire.
It is in a sense that it was originally based on David Simon's book of the same title (which I've just started) but it was still very much a network show and Simon's influence was fairly negatable. Not saying it's a terrible show by any means (far better than that NYPD Blue shite) but if you're expecting another Wire, you'll be sorely disappointed.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

It's an excellent read Donny.
BlueBlood
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueBlood »

Sea_point wrote:BofB - was excellent alright, was repeated about four months ago late night on BBC2, and I watched it again.

The Wire - to coin a yank phrase, "is awesome". Marvellous TV, missed it first time round on Living TV but BBC2 have run all the series back to back over the last five or so months and have watched every episode and been dissapointed each time when it finished.

Rome - Series One was brilliant, Series Two poor by comparision (sort of became a bit soap opera-ish sadly)...

Seinfeld - The Daddy of US comedy shows, consistently brilliant for 9 Series. God I miss Gerry, Kramer, Elaine and Castanza ..

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Another absolute Quality Larry David production, except this time he steps in front of Camera..

Black Books- Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey in quality silliness.....
The daddy of all situation coms. Tonight was yet another night I tried to explain an episode that fit the exact situation we were in. If they dont watch it though it falls on deaf hears.

The shield is the best show I've ever watched.
Show Spoiler:
I've never been so affected as when Shane threw the grenade in Lems car.
I was stunned into
silence for an hour after.

Have watched the first 4 seasons of the wire but havent taken to it as much as the shield. I think shows like that need one central character to love or hate right through to the end. I also thought the wire was a lot more predictable than the shield.

That said, I was a bit dissapointed with the conclusion of the shield. But at the same time it was the ending few were expecting.

Will give the wire another go from season 4.

The interaction between dutch and claudette really stands out through all the series.
Last edited by BlueBlood on September 20th, 2009, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I can read you like a book. And not a very good book. Certainly not ‘Bravo Two Zero’ by Andy McNabb. Which actually improves with every read." AP
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Spoilers BlueBlood, ffs!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Prime Suspect anyone?
A proud Winsome Fluter
BlueBlood
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueBlood »

Danthefan wrote:Spoilers BlueBlood, ffs!
shite :oops:
"I can read you like a book. And not a very good book. Certainly not ‘Bravo Two Zero’ by Andy McNabb. Which actually improves with every read." AP
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Prime Suspect anyone?
Helen Mirren. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JAPkvnyso Huba huba
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
pookie
Beginner

Post by pookie »

X-files and Californication a bit of a David Ducovney theme ..but still good
Weeds
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

pookie wrote:X-files and Californication a bit of a David Ducovney theme ..but still good
Weeds
Weeds is fecking hilarious as is Californication. Both are Showtime shows but suffer in Ireland through being shown at cr@p times by channels who don't appreciate them. 30Rock has a similiar problem.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

BlueBlood wrote:
The daddy of all situation coms. Tonight was yet another night I tried to explain an episode that fit the exact situation we were in. If they dont watch it though it falls on deaf hears.

The shield is the best show I've ever watched.

Have watched the first 4 seasons of the wire but havent taken to it as much as the shield. I think shows like that need one central character to love or hate right through to the end. I also thought the wire was a lot more predictable than the shield.

That said, I was a bit dissapointed with the conclusion of the shield. But at the same time it was the ending few were expecting.

Will give the wire another go from season 4.

The interaction between dutch and claudette really stands out through all the series.
Can't see how you think the Wire was predictable. Main Characters were dying all the time very unexpectedly.

Last series of the Shield was a bit of a disappointment tbh. The plotting became so ridiculously convoluted it was like they were spinning out the story to cover a whole series. However I did like the ending, which I didn't see coming.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Scott wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:Prime Suspect anyone?
Helen Mirren. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JAPkvnyso Huba huba
Jack Black: "Peter O'Toole, you're legendary and English"

:x
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Nearly at the end of season 2 of The Shield now and I have to say I'm hooked. It's a completely ridiculous show but very entertaining.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Watched Extras over the weekend! Only 12 eps but brilliant stuff. Better the The Office for me
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Robin Hood is good escapist fun!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Anyone seen Mad Men? Seasons 1 & 2 are up on the RTE Iplayer. Worth a watch?
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Scott wrote:Anyone seen Mad Men? Seasons 1 & 2 are up on the RTE Iplayer. Worth a watch?

ys, well worth a watch - really really good
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

BarryP wrote:
Scott wrote:Anyone seen Mad Men? Seasons 1 & 2 are up on the RTE Iplayer. Worth a watch?

ys, well worth a watch - really really good
Season 3 finished a month or 2 ago. There are loads of torrents of it around.

Very stylish etc. The thing I don't like about it is that you feel nothing for any of the characters. Season 3 is better. I is not bad. But season 2 is not great.