brian_c
Mullet

Podcasts

Post by brian_c »

Anyone got any good podcasts they can recommend:

My favourites at the moment are:

Hamish and Andy - Australian drivetime radio
NPR Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me - An American panel news shows
BBC Radio 4 Friday Comedy - Either The now Show with Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis, or the news Quiz with Sandi Toksvig
Americana BBC Radio 4 - Human interest news stories from the US by BBC America journalist Matt Frei
Get This! with Tony Martin, Ed Kavalee and Richard Marsland - Old Australian radio show. Comedy sketches, clips, obscure references. Ah how Good is this?
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
future international
Enlightened

Re: Podcasts

Post by future international »

The Writers Room-Jimmy Carr and other comedy writers having a chat
Frankie Boyle,Mock the Week Musings- Only one podcast of him trying out material for the show but very funny

One a side note Mock the Week wont be worth watching now Frankie has left
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Hi,

I follow the NPR "Wait Wait" and BBC Friday Night myself. Other ones I regularly follow are (search them iTunes or google 'em);

Comedy : "Answer me this Podcast"

Rugby : "Ruggamatrix" (an absolute gem - Aussie based but international with Les Kis one of the regular presenters)

Rationalist / Scientific : "Skeptics Guide to the Universe", "Geologic Podcast" are my two regulars. I sometimes listen to "Skepticality" but not every week.

Techhie : "TWIT" (This week in Tech)

All are weekly except Skepticality.

I was thinking of adding some of the NASA podcasts but not sure I'll get to them every week. As it is I just about listen to the above but I walk in and out of work and travel for work every couple of weeks.

I also have membership of Audible.co.uk which gives me an audio book a month for £7 a month.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruggamatrix is a real gem of a podcast, they give really good coverage of all major competitions in the top 8 countries and it's all done with tounge firmly in cheek. Les Kiss is a great contributor as well, and seems to be a very funny/laid back guy.

The 5Live Friday Film Review with Kermode and Mayo is essential listening if you're in any way into going to the movies. It's actually IMO the best podcast full stop but I'm a film nut so can't but be impressed by the quality of the show.

The Tuesday Travel Podcast from the Right Hook with Hookie and Fionn Davenport is great as well. I've organised a few holidays based upon their reviews and recomendations and have never been let down. Davenport has an encylopedic knowledge of locations they review and they have a decent bit of banter.

The Off The Ball Rugby podcast is worth a download, I know Thornley can be mixed but Keith Wood is decent and they get the odd randomer on for a bit of an interview. That said I do get the feeling that McDevitt isn't really much of a rugby fan, although he does seem to love the tour/drinking stories that pop up in conversation. Off The Ball's American Sports and Murphs Country pages I would also recomend.

Scrum V Rugby is a nice short little podcast on Welsh Rugby giving a weekly 10 minute run down of the game there. Would be nice if it was longer as it's well produced but guess there isn't enough content.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

future international wrote:
One a side note Mock the Week wont be worth watching now Frankie has left
How true you are!

Tramadol Nights wasnt bad but no real comparison :cry:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:Ruggamatrix is a real gem of a podcast, they give really good coverage of all major competitions in the top 8 countries and it's all done with tounge firmly in cheek. Les Kiss is a great contributor as well, and seems to be a very funny/laid back guy.
Brilliant
The 5Live Friday Film Review with Kermode and Mayo is essential listening if you're in any way into going to the movies. It's actually IMO the best podcast full stop but I'm a film nut so can't but be impressed by the quality of the show.
Not into Films, hate Kermode
The Tuesday Travel Podcast from the Right Hook with Hookie and Fionn Davenport is great as well. I've organised a few holidays based upon their reviews and recomendations and have never been let down. Davenport has an encylopedic knowledge of locations they review and they have a decent bit of banter.
Aaaaaaaarrrggghhh!!! Two more complete tossers can hardly exist in the same universe
The Off The Ball Rugby podcast is worth a download, I know Thornley can be mixed but Keith Wood is decent and they get the odd randomer on for a bit of an interview. That said I do get the feeling that McDevitt isn't really much of a rugby fan, although he does seem to love the tour/drinking stories that pop up in conversation.
Agree, good and bad, but always listen

Scrum V Rugby is a nice short little podcast on Welsh Rugby giving a weekly 10 minute run down of the game there. Would be nice if it was longer as it's well produced but guess there isn't enough content.
Must check it out
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Ruggamatrix is a real gem of a podcast, they give really good coverage of all major competitions in the top 8 countries and it's all done with tounge firmly in cheek. Les Kiss is a great contributor as well, and seems to be a very funny/laid back guy.
Brilliant
Not into Films, hate Kermode
Aaaaaaaarrrggghhh!!! Two more complete tossers can hardly exist in the same universe
The Off The Ball Rugby podcast is worth a download, I know Thornley can be mixed but Keith Wood is decent and they get the odd randomer on for a bit of an interview. That said I do get the feeling that McDevitt isn't really much of a rugby fan, although he does seem to love the tour/drinking stories that pop up in conversation.
Agree, good and bad, but always listen

Must check it out
Yeah Kermode can be a bit Marmite, it's love him or hate him. There's no real meh factor there.

Srum V is well worth checking out, gives a nice little insight into the Welsh game. Great coverage of smaller clubs in their "Welcome To The Club" section, shame RTÉ or Newstalk or maybe even the branch/IRFU don't have a little podcast like this highlighting AIL and below to the junior leagues it'd be very interesting to hear the highs/lows of various clubs struggling around the country.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Hamish and Andy is great.
Don't like Ruggamatrix purely for the size of the podcasts.
Off the Ball Football show, rugby show, Johnny Giles bits etc
Used to get the Gift Grub podcasts before they were stopped

Dont like the BBC Friday Night podcasts as much since the Now Show was replaced by the piss poor Sandi Toksvig (sp) quiz show thing
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

gfo wrote:Hamish and Andy is great.
Don't like Ruggamatrix purely for the size of the podcasts.
Off the Ball Football show, rugby show, Johnny Giles bits etc
Used to get the Gift Grub podcasts before they were stopped

Dont like the BBC Friday Night podcasts as much since the Now Show was replaced by the piss poor Sandi Toksvig (sp) quiz show thing
Yeah don't like the quiz Sandi is a poor comediene. Has the Now Show been totally replaced or are they just rotating the Friday night comedy squad?
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

TerenureJim wrote: Yeah don't like the quiz Sandi is a poor comediene. Has the Now Show been totally replaced or are they just rotating the Friday night comedy squad?
It's on rotation, been like that for years. They normally do 6 episodes of The Now Show then 8 or 9 of The News Quiz. However both of them go off the air in August during the Edinburgh festival, so we should hopefully get one more series of The Now Show in mid June before the summer break.

For more podcast recommendations can I suggest:

Basic Brewing Radio All about home brewing and tasting craft beer. Includes interviews with head brewers of American brewies like Jim Koch of Sam Adams.
This American Life Quite simply the best podcast out there. A weekly hour long episodes containing a series of short "acts" consisting of reports, memoirs, plays, interviews etc all loosely dealing with a common theme.
This Week in Science A weekly show rounding up the scientific news of the week. Part of Leo Laporte's TWiT network.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

brian_c wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: This Week in Science A weekly show rounding up the scientific news of the week. Part of Leo Laporte's TWiT network.
Nerd (and pedant) alert....

This week in Science is not actually part of the LaPorte TWIT network - it has been on the go a lot longer than TWIT - think it was originally a radio show.

But there is a connection in that it is hosted by Dr Kiki Sanford who also has a show on the TWIT network called "Dr Kiki's science hour"
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Doc wrote:
brian_c wrote:This Week in Science A weekly show rounding up the scientific news of the week. Part of Leo Laporte's TWiT network.

This week in Science is not actually part of the LaPorte TWIT network - it has been on the go a lot longer than TWIT - think it was originally a radio show.

But there is a connection in that it is hosted by Dr Kiki Sanford who also has a show on the TWIT network called "Dr Kiki's science hour"
Fixed
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

TerenureJim wrote: Fixed
Oooops - apologies
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

+1 for Ruggamatrix & Off the Ball. Ruggamatrix can be a bit long & rambling but there is some good stuff on it & insights from Les Kiss that you won't hear elsewhere.

I like Kermode/Mayo film show. I don't have the same taste as kermode but love it when he goes off on one of his rants.

Excess Baggage is a BBC Travel podcast. Sometimes presented by Sandi Toksvig who I can't stand as she brings smugness to a whole new level but they often have really interesting guests on it.

Freakonomics and the BBC's More or Less cover economics/politics from a different perspective and are recommended if you are into that stuff.

BBC From Our Own Correspondant for international features.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

mikerob wrote: Excess Baggage is a BBC Travel podcast. Sometimes presented by Sandi Toksvig who I can't stand as she brings smugness to a whole new level but they often have really interesting guests on it.
Hadn't heard of that one before, love a good travel podcast but it's hard to know which ones are worth investing in.

I did find one when researching travel for the RWC in New Zealand called the pubcast which was a Kiwi and an Irish lad going around pubs in Kiwistan and it was funny but 2007 vintage so a bit dated.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

The Doc wrote:

But it's on TWiT now. If I go to live.twit.tv at half 3 tonight I can watch the recording. It started as a radio show in UC Berkeley sometime in the 90's, became a podcast in the mid 00's and last year made a big deal about TWiT being their new home.

I listen to Dr. Kiki's Science hour too, but I find that the whole hour about one topic means that unless I am interested I skip a lot of episodes.

Frankly I could just leave live.twit.tv on all day, plenty to keep me entertained there. Macbreak Weekly, Windows Weekly, Tech News Today, TWig etc.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

brian_c wrote: But it's on TWiT now. If I go to live.twit.tv at half 3 tonight I can watch the recording. It started as a radio show in UC Berkeley sometime in the 90's, became a podcast in the mid 00's and last year made a big deal about TWiT being their new home.
Strange - it's not on the TWIT show list on www.twit.tv and not on their iTunes feed - I wonder do they just do the live broadcast on TWIT but still have their own iTunes feed.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Currently enjoying:

Hollywood Babylon with Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats etc) and Ralph Garman - good satirical Hollywood/Hollyweird live podcast show. Very funny stuff. Smiths Smodcast network or whatever he calls it has a few decent shows worth trying out, especially if you enjoy comics and film.

The Empire Film Podcast - from the guys at the magazine, it's decent stuff, great for film news, but they can be a bit callow and pull a lot of punches when talking about a blockbusters that are total shite but they can't slate because they won't get access/interviews next time from the studio/director/star etc, still not bad though.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Not a podcast but you really should check out Kenneth Anger's (child star turned avant-garde film maker) original Hollywood Babylon book. Actually genuinely shocking gossip. Ancient Rome had nothing on the depravity. The gilded entitlement which knew no boundaries certainly reminds me of the sociopathic lawlessness in the financial elite today.

The cynicism from the studios and the hypocrisy of the moralisers is so pure as to be almost beautiful. The odd hideous, brutally destroyed victim notwithstanding obviously.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I've been enjoying 99% Invisible for some time now. It's a podcast about design but could cover anything from Skateboarding in Love park to "Razzle Dazzle" on modern warships to a window that was left broken for 20 years.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!