Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
Hornet wrote:Some people have more money than sense.
I'd say Elon Musk has more sense than money - and he's a very rich man.

1) The new Falcon Heavy rocket would have had a dummy payload regardless - be it a hunk of metal, or the car it was
2) He can claim to have the fastest, most well travelled car known to man.
3) Given that Tesla spend next to nothing on advertising, this is a publicity coup for them - every news agency on Earth is showing a Tesla in space. What price would equivalent advertising be?
This and coupled with the state subsidies he doesnt really spend any of his money. He is almost a semi state (without the tax burden), which is fine as he has some of the finest minds finding solutions where the public sector would find problems.

It will be for mankinds benefit i say.... right until he has a bad loss making year and he bankrupts the state supporting him.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote: which is fine as he has some of the finest minds finding solutions where the public sector would find problems.

It will be for mankinds benefit i say.... right until he has a bad loss making year and he bankrupts the state supporting him.

You do realise that this "new" technology was perfected by the public sector NASA over 50 years ago? Falcon heavy is still less powerful than Saturn V. Techno solutionists always seem to forget that political will and consensus are more difficult problems than engineering. It leads them down some very silly roads.

As for whether it will be to the benefit of humanity, it's really difficult to say. The current state of play with Musk seems to be that he is preparing a colony on Mars for billionaires (possibly uploaded) for when they finish consuming the earth.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: which is fine as he has some of the finest minds finding solutions where the public sector would find problems.

You do realise that this "new" technology was perfected by the public sector NASA over 50 years ago? Falcon heavy is still less powerful than Saturn V. Techno solutionists always seem to forget that political will and consensus are more difficult problems than engineering. It leads them down some very silly roads.

As for whether it will be to the benefit of humanity, it's really difficult to say. The current state of play with Musk seems to be that he is preparing a colony on Mars for billionaires (possibly uploaded) for when they finish consuming the earth.
Or i could have written: I'm not too sure what to make of Emusk or his zero personal risk strategy that for the most part has yet to yield anything in the way of profit.
SpaceX seems to be the successful business. Tesla.... not sure (hydrogen looks more like progress to me), the battery systems may be the success story rather than the cars. But again, heavily reliant on public subsidy in US and Aus. I do like however that he has shipped a motherload of the industrial batteries to Puerto Rico FOC to test them in disaster zones and they are supporting health and public infrastructure (without the media look at me campaign).
Hyperloop is an exceptional achievement but its going to cost a lot.

He is a great sales person who gets sh!t done. Where the fock is bransons space programme?

But yeah, I'm on the fence.
Daniel Sullivan
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Funnily enough Tesla's batteries aren't even made by Tesla. Most are Samsung or Panasonic Li-ion technology with a Tesla control sytem and inverter. That part of the Tesla business is doing the exact same as a number of others only they have shinier/noisier marketing.

That said, they do compare favourably to the other large battery suppliers I've worked with even though they won't offer much flexibility on sizing or bespoke systems.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jimbobjoe wrote:Funnily enough Tesla's batteries aren't even made by Tesla. Most are Samsung or Panasonic Li-ion technology with a Tesla control sytem and inverter. That part of the Tesla business is doing the exact same as a number of others only they have shinier/noisier marketing.

That said, they do compare favourably to the other large battery suppliers I've worked with even though they won't offer much flexibility on sizing or bespoke systems.
What tf are they doing in solar city?
Daniel Sullivan
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Peg Leg wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Funnily enough Tesla's batteries aren't even made by Tesla. Most are Samsung or Panasonic Li-ion technology with a Tesla control sytem and inverter. That part of the Tesla business is doing the exact same as a number of others only they have shinier/noisier marketing.

What tf are they doing in solar city?
AFAIK their Solar tiles are comletely separate from their battery storage systems.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
FLIP wrote:There is now a car in orbit around the sun, it's orbit bisecting Earth and Mars.
I'd say you are factually incorrect.
THE GRAPHIC IS THE EASY BIT
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:

Also, the boosters deploy and return to tye take off site. That's new and very useful no?
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Also, the boosters deploy and return to tye take off site. That's new and very useful no?
Absolutely, though overdue. Lack of political will and extremist ideology has led to booster development being stalled for decades. The newcomers still had to do archeology on recovered NASA boosters.

Oh, and the space shuttle was a waste.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Best take I've seen so far is that Musk has committed the perfect murder.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Now you mention it I haven't seen The Stig in a while...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

As a youth of the sixties and the race to the moon I still think that the sort of thing SpaceX is doing is fundamental to the future survival of the human race.
The human race is curious and needs a challenge to survive.
Space is the ultimate challenge.
The alternative is that the human will suffer atrophy and fade of the face of the earth into oblivion.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Peg Leg wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Or i could have written: I'm not too sure what to make of Emusk or his zero personal risk strategy that for the most part has yet to yield anything in the way of profit.
SpaceX seems to be the successful business. Tesla.... not sure (hydrogen looks more like progress to me), the battery systems may be the success story rather than the cars. But again, heavily reliant on public subsidy in US and Aus. I do like however that he has shipped a motherload of the industrial batteries to Puerto Rico FOC to test them in disaster zones and they are supporting health and public infrastructure (without the media look at me campaign).
Hyperloop is an exceptional achievement but its going to cost a lot.

He is a great sales person who gets sh!t done. Where the fock is bransons space programme?

But yeah, I'm on the fence.
Tesla cars are quite popular here in Scandinavia, especially in Norway where they exempt of car-purchase tax and standard VAT. Don't know what the car tax is in Norway, but it's 180% in Denmark!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ladies and gentlemen Joe Schmidt....

2011 Heineken cup and league finalists
2012 Heineken cup and league finalists
2013 Amlin cup and league winners
2014 Six Nations
2015 Six Nations
2015 RWC Group winners (squad depth and key injuries costing a semi spot IMO)
2016 win in South Africa
2016 beat New Zealand
2017 - 2018 longest winning run of any irish squad
2018 Grand Slam Six Nations

Incredible record.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:Ladies and gentlemen Joe Schmidt....

2014 Six Nations
2015 Six Nations
2016 win in South Africa
2016 beat New Zealand

Incredible record.
There's something missing, can't put my finger on it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Ladies and gentlemen Joe Schmidt....

2014 Six Nations
2015 Six Nations
2016 win in South Africa
2016 beat New Zealand

Incredible record.
There's something missing, can't put my finger on it.
2010 Top 14 Bouclier de Brennus - Clermont
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And to cap off this St Patrick's Weekend, Rory blows the lights out in Bay Hill to win Arnie Palmer Memorial Tournament with a closing 64!

And his next Tournament is the Masters.

What a sports weekend for Ireland
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:And to cap off this St Patrick's Weekend, Rory blows the lights out in Bay Hill to win Arnie Palmer Memorial Tournament with a closing 64!

And his next Tournament is the Masters.

What a sports weekend for Ireland
Rory would have loved to be in twickers on Saturday.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Seeing that huge smile on Moon Jae-in's face as he shook hands with Kim Jong-un must be considered a rave. It was extraordinary seeing them side-by-side, not just for historical purposes, but also because of the sheer size of KJU. Cautiously optimistic is about the best way to describe everything. The meeting with Trump is vital. The warmth will not be close to this level.